Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
piper
CF Senior Member
 
piper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Default Dot 5

What do you guys think of using the Dot 5 ? I used it in my 67 and then i heard all kinds of bad storys
piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
CF Senior Member
 
Glenn's 67 BB Vert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Enterprise Oregon
Default

Not for me ever--glenn
Glenn's 67 BB Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
CaveCreekChump
CF Senior Member
 
CaveCreekChump's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: St. Charles/Cave Creek IL/AZ
Douglas B. Jones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn's 67 BB Vert View Post
Not for me ever--glenn

I respectfully disagree.

Been using it for about 5 years in my '65 with no problems what-so-ever. I've heard the stories too, and was prepared to flush it out.

Last winter I added a dual-chamber master cylinder and a booster. The brakes now work and feel as good as anything I have ever driven.
CaveCreekChump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Del Boca Vista FL
Send a message via AIM to BADBIRDCAGE
Default

I know some people that have used Dot 5 for years and are really happy with it. They drive their cars two or three times a month for 25 miles or less each time.

I won't use it myself. I autocross, I drive often and I like the Valvoline synthetic instead. Just personal choice.

Rich
BADBIRDCAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
CaveCreekChump
CF Senior Member
 
CaveCreekChump's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: St. Charles/Cave Creek IL/AZ
Douglas B. Jones
Default ust to clarify my answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
I know some people that have used Dot 5 for years and are really happy with it. They drive their cars two or three times a month for 25 miles or less each time.

I won't use it myself. I autocross, I drive often and I like the Valvoline synthetic instead. Just personal choice.

Rich


Mine is pretty much a daily driver, and certainly no trailer queen.

I do park it during an Illinois winter, but that is the big advantage of Dot-5: no moisture absorption.

Just as soon as I can, I'll be driving it down to the Southwest without making any changes. No fears about the fluid here.
CaveCreekChump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
Technite73
CF Senior Member
 
Technite73's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Boca Raton FL
Default

Have used it in my 73 since the late 70's with no problems. My 66 has had it since the early 1980's and have had good success also.
Just remember to flush all the old dot 3 out of the system since the two are not compatable.
Technite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
ffas23
CF Senior Member
 
ffas23's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2003
Location: Central NJ
Default

I have been using Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid in my C-3 since around 1990 without any problems with corrosion. My C-2 still has Dot 3 in it though.
__________________
1967 Marlboro Maroon 4spd Coupe
1973 Dark Blue 4spd Coupe w/air, original 25k miles
1999 Black 6spd Coupe
1934 Ford 3 Window Coupe eng. code "ZZZ" 350-345hp Chevy Powered!


Last edited by ffas23; 08-08-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add on
ffas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 AM   #8
babbah
CF Senior Member
 
babbah's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Default

I have had my 67 with J56 HD Disc Brakes since new and it always had leaky calipers. I replaced the calipers with ss sleeved units and Dot5 Fluid in 1982. I have never touched the system again since, no leaks ever, firm pedal and every 10 years I change the pads...It works!!
babbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Tom/99
CF Senior Member
 
Tom/99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 1999
Location: Houston,Texas USA
Default

I've had Dot 5 brake fluid, in my 69 Road Runner since 1990. In 2001, I put Dot 5 in my 65 Corvette. Neither car has had any brake problems since.
Tom/99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Del Boca Vista FL
Send a message via AIM to BADBIRDCAGE
Default

Major point of all with the brake system. Maintain it. Flush at least yearly. I prefer quarterly.

Rich
BADBIRDCAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #11
misfit1
CF Member
 
misfit1's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Reisterstown/ Finksburg Maryland
Default

What I do when I get an old car is, flush the system with denatured alcohol, it cost about $20 a gallon. That gets the sludge and water out, because you know the fluid has been there since the factory. Then I fill with dot 5. I have never had a problem with any of the old cars I own using this method.

Cheers, Dave
misfit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
ffas23
CF Senior Member
 
ffas23's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2003
Location: Central NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbah View Post
I have had my 67 with J56 HD Disc Brakes since new and it always had leaky calipers. I replaced the calipers with ss sleeved units and Dot5 Fluid in 1982. I have never touched the system again since, no leaks ever, firm pedal and every 10 years I change the pads...It works!!
You are one lucky person to go that long without the caliper seals going bad especially during that long of a period of 25 years. You are the first that I ever heard of doing so. The main point of using Dot 5 is because its doesn't absorb moisture. This would of been the ideal brake fluid to have in the system of these old Corvettes when they were manufactured back in the 60's but I guess the Silicone brake fluid didn't exist at the time. If it did there probably wouldn't of been any need for someone coming up with the idea of putting SS sleeves into the factory calipers that where just plain old cast iron steel where Dot 3 pitted the cylinders over the years. Today using the factory caliper with SS sleeves one doesn't really need to worry about this problem whether you use Dot 3 brake fluid or not. Dot 3 will work well with the SS sleeved calipers and not corrode them.

babbah above quote like I said is just plain lucky. Even on my C-3 using Dot 5 brake fluid as mentioned in my previous post had seals go bad since 1990 since I changed over to Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid. Mine lasted about 10 years although I don't drive the car very much. It still only has a little over 25k on the odometer. Through my own experience I really don't think using Dot 5 over Dot 3 brake fluid really makes a difference when it comes to how long the rubber seals last on these old Corvette calipers from what I have seen over the many years that I have been driving C-2 and C-3 Corvettes and that has been since 1970 (37) years now. Just my opinion and experience.
__________________
1967 Marlboro Maroon 4spd Coupe
1973 Dark Blue 4spd Coupe w/air, original 25k miles
1999 Black 6spd Coupe
1934 Ford 3 Window Coupe eng. code "ZZZ" 350-345hp Chevy Powered!

ffas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
66L72
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
66L72's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Keswick Ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
Major point of all with the brake system. Maintain it. Flush at least yearly. I prefer quarterly.

Rich
quarterly?!?!? you must be using DOT H20

the reason to flush is to get moisture out......which is exactly what DOT 5 prevents......... i just put it in my 66 rebuild and no issues at all so far.
66L72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
capevettes
CF Senior Member
 
capevettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Cape Cod Mass.
Default

I have DOT 5 in my 68. It was put in before I owned it when the entire system was replaced 10 years ago. No problems and no leaky calipers.

Dot 3 in my 65 and 61. Always problems with leaky calipers in the 65 and brake cylinders in the 61.

DOT 5 doesn't pick up moisture like DOT 3. Just make sure you get all the old stuff out in the transition, which is difficult without replacing parts.
capevettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #15
magicv8
9 Hot Rod Power Tours
 
magicv8's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2000
Location: Going too fast over the hill.
Default

Coast to coast and border to border with dot5 in the lines since 1988.

PS: During that time, the only brake service was: front caliper seals in 1997, rear caliper seals in 1999, and a rebuilt 67 master cylinder in 2002. I added more dot 5 during each of those repairs.

Last edited by magicv8; 08-08-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: ps
magicv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
Ron Miller
CF Senior Member
 
Ron Miller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Bernie MO
Default

DOT 5 in the '65 and '66 since the mid and late 70's, no problems, luv it!!

Ron Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #17
piper
CF Senior Member
 
piper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Default

Thanks to everyone
piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #18
babbah
CF Senior Member
 
babbah's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Default

dot 5 RULES!
babbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #19
babbah
CF Senior Member
 
babbah's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23 View Post
You are one lucky person to go that long without the caliper seals going bad especially during that long of a period of 25 years. You are the first that I ever heard of doing so. The main point of using Dot 5 is because its doesn't absorb moisture. This would of been the ideal brake fluid to have in the system of these old Corvettes when they were manufactured back in the 60's but I guess the Silicone brake fluid didn't exist at the time. If it did there probably wouldn't of been any need for someone coming up with the idea of putting SS sleeves into the factory calipers that where just plain old cast iron steel where Dot 3 pitted the cylinders over the years. Today using the factory caliper with SS sleeves one doesn't really need to worry about this problem whether you use Dot 3 brake fluid or not. Dot 3 will work well with the SS sleeved calipers and not corrode them.

babbah above quote like I said is just plain lucky. Even on my C-3 using Dot 5 brake fluid as mentioned in my previous post had seals go bad since 1990 since I changed over to Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid. Mine lasted about 10 years although I don't drive the car very much. It still only has a little over 25k on the odometer. Through my own experience I really don't think using Dot 5 over Dot 3 brake fluid really makes a difference when it comes to how long the rubber seals last on these old Corvette calipers from what I have seen over the many years that I have been driving C-2 and C-3 Corvettes and that has been since 1970 (37) years now. Just my opinion and experience.
They are still dry as a bone, no leaks!! Its the best!! I never flushed the system with anything, I just bled the system until the Dot5 (Purple) fluid flowed out feom each caliper and that was it...I did start the install with 4 new sleeved caliopers, a new master cylinder and ss brake lines, all that remained before bleeding were the factory lines -

Last edited by babbah; 08-08-2007 at 03:21 PM.
babbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #20
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Del Boca Vista FL
Send a message via AIM to BADBIRDCAGE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66L72 View Post
quarterly?!?!? you must be using DOT H20

the reason to flush is to get moisture out......which is exactly what DOT 5 prevents......... i just put it in my 66 rebuild and no issues at all so far.
So maybe I like to know exactly what is in my system. Call me crazy. It's OK, I've been called much worse.

My experience (and the experience of autocrossers here locally, both high and low speed) is that when you flush quarterly or even monthly, as some guys do, you find crap moving through the system that you didn't know was there.

How often do you activate the ABS on your 66? Oh yeah, you don't have ABS. That's not your fault. BUT if you had it and were working the ABS module on a regular basis I believe you would find that the hydraulic shock that occurs (I don't know how else to describe it) when you are in full lock/release mode finds a way to make things move around like you will not find in a standard braking system.

If you want to use DOT 5 that's your privelege and please be my guest. I just personally don't like to use it.

Rich
BADBIRDCAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Dot 5
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake and clutch fluid A448PO C6 Corvette ZR1 3 08-14-2013 03:40 PM
Dot5 /dot4 jan eric C6 Z06 Discussion 18 09-23-2009 02:35 PM
Another Stupid Clutch Fluid Question.... CanadaGrant C6 Z06 Discussion 1 09-19-2008 03:51 PM
DOT5 ok? logansrun C6 Tech/Performance 2 04-27-2008 06:52 AM
DOT 3 only ??? the blur C4 Tech/Performance 15 10-07-2005 09:39 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Emails & Password Backup