C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:54 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn64vette
Thanks for the info!!! I'm going to take a look at an F body spoiler today.

I forgot; Did you use a 67 -68 or 69 spoiler?
I Forget to......... '69 I think.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

SatanicMechanic - What is the price that he is charging you for this gem? And how long will it take to make?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00fxd
I Forget to......... '69 I think.

I measured a 67-68 and it's 52 inches long and 5 inchs deep for the spoiler. Heck, it is only $29.95.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:47 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question, Toddalin: [/I] Why not paint the unit the same as your new body color? I'd think about painting mine Emine White, although black would probably work just fine given the color of my hood's stinger/interior.

I think Toddalin's would look good body color too, some cars/colors the body color works better than others, however I would wonder about how these hold up to chips and such being so close to the road. I will be doing mine in black, which will go with my yellow with black stinger car, and a little rattle can spray paint will fix the road damage.

Last edited by macdarren; 08-23-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by macdarren
I think Toddalin's would look good body color too, some cars/colors the body color works better than others, however I would wonder about how these hold up to chips and such being so close to the road. I will be doing mine in black, which will go with my yellow with black stinger car, and a little rattle can spray paint will fix the road damage.

Good point re: fixing road damage. Either way, I'd be interested in such a modification to my front end.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:12 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

[QUOTE=Cobra66;1561624754][QUOTE=toddalin;1561622389]I too would be interested. When I had the restification done on the '64, they were supposed to put the Z28 air dam on (I even provided it), but they didn't.

If this is a simple bolt on (and already notched would be great), I could be in on this. A little Krylon Semi-flat black, and we'd be good to go.

Add my name (and my '64) to the list of interested parties, especially if a pre-notched unit is offered.

Question, Toddalin: Why not paint the unit the same as your new body color? I'd think about painting mine Emine White, although black would probably work just fine given the color of my hood's stinger/interior.
Am anticipating future touch-up and Krylon Semi-flat (same color as used on our dash inserts) is easy to get with little lot-to-lot variability.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Thanks for the info!!! I'm going to take a look at an F body spoiler today.

I forgot; Did you use a 67 -68 or 69 spoiler?

When I was going to have the Z28 spoiler put on mine I went down to Classic Chevy and hand fitted the 67-68 and 69. The 69 was the best fit and has a symetrical bolt pattern. The prior version has an a-symetric center bolt hole.

Neither of them are a direct (or even easy) fit and either will require additional work. I wanted the body shop to make a "plug" out of styrofoam that would meet the body contours, go around the bumper supports, and provide a mount for the spoiler., but this just wasn't to be.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 PM
mredi1
Pro

Originally Posted by magicv8
If you get the call through to Mid valley, tell Mike that Dave posted a pic of the air dam he made from a mold of the the original on the white roadster with the MAGICV8 plates.

The old original was flimsy and lighter. Over the years, I damaged it and had to repair it a couple of times, since the original maker was out of business. Along the way I modified it: to keep it an inch higher off the ground, and to have bumper holes. Mike made a mold of it the last time it was damaged, and gave me a stiff repop of it a few years ago.

I just tried calling MidValley and got no answer too. If I get time later, I'll go see Mike and ask why he doesn't answer. I know collision shops get noisy, and phones get ignored. He's running a body shop, not a mail order company, so phone answering is such a low priority he doesn't have an answering machine or a cell phone.

You can count me in on the order as well. Dave I'm sending back the templates for the shields as well. Thanks for your Help. Tim
Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 PM
SatanicMechanic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babbah
SatanicMechanic - What is the price that he is charging you for this gem? And how long will it take to make?
He said he wouldn't know quite what to tell me as far as the charge, I just mentioned the "around $100" that MagicV8 posted, and what I payed for the Ecklers piece, and that seemed to go over fine.

As for how long, he didn't say. Maybe someone better schooled in the art of fiberglass panel making can make an estimate...? I imagine at least a few days depending on how busy they are with other stuff. Better done right than fast.

And yeah, I'm all for that flat black rattle-can road repair kit

Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 AM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

wonder if I should call now or wait and see how yours turns out....I don't mind a little refinishing either but if the first part damaged the mold the second might make it worse.....I think I will get my order in....thanks for getting this moving as I said I have contemplated it for a long time just didn't follow through
Old 08-24-2007, 02:04 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

I measured a 67-68 and it's 52 inches long and 5 inchs deep for the spoiler. Heck, it is only $29.95.
The 69 first gen Camaro spoiler is 51.5 inches long and 4 inches deep. In case anyone is interested.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 AM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Glenn,

Do you by chance have a photo of the camaro spoiler on a camaro or better still installed on a vette?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 03:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Here's the '69 Camaro front spoiler:
Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Originally Posted by macdarren
Glenn,

Do you by chance have a photo of the camaro spoiler on a camaro or better still installed on a vette?

Thanks
No, pictures yet. I have not got the spoiler (trying to get a damaged one here for test fit) on yet. The 69 spoiler looks to be the best choice of the first gen Camaros.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SatanicMechanic
He said he wouldn't know quite what to tell me as far as the charge, I just mentioned the "around $100" that MagicV8 posted, and what I payed for the Ecklers piece, and that seemed to go over fine.

As for how long, he didn't say. Maybe someone better schooled in the art of fiberglass panel making can make an estimate...? I imagine at least a few days depending on how busy they are with other stuff. Better done right than fast.
I happened to stop by MidValley as Mike was boxing up a 2 out of 3 airdams he finally got around to making. I took the third one home and marked up the dam for the position of the bumper holes (measured off my 66), then went back and marked the 2 being shipped.

After that I stuck the third dam on a 42k mile 67 435hp car with a factory valence, and we squeezed fresh bondo between the taped valence and the dam.

The bondo gives the dam a firm mounting surface that exactly matches the valence. That makes the dam stiff after mounting.

Mike plugged the bumper holes and says he will make a mold that has no holes, but raised lines marking hole locations, and a flatter mounting surface (than the twice broken air dam he made the original mold from.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

My story, back in the 70's my 65 coupe was very unstable above 120. I was ready for a repaint and added a small, 3" spoiler in the front as well as the back. After the repaint drove down to my sisters. At 140 I could take my hands off the wheel, wow what a difference !!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by kolsen911
My story, back in the 70's my 65 coupe was very unstable above 120. I was ready for a repaint and added a small, 3" spoiler in the front as well as the back. After the repaint drove down to my sisters. At 140 I could take my hands off the wheel, wow what a difference !!!!!!!
same result with the one I made for my 62, BUT I ended taking it off beside it would drag on the pavement at driveway approaches....
Bill
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam