C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The New Two Guys Garage

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The New Two Guys Garage

Man is that show messed up I've been watching it for years, back when it started as Shadetree Mechanic. You had ol' Dave and Sam back in the day. Then the original Dave went off and Dave Mcbride came in. He passed away recently and they replaced him with a Gen-X dude. The Gen X dude is a 20 something that knows nothing about cars. He wears his hat backwards and has a little goatee on his chin. Its easy to tell that he doesn't mix well with ol' Sam. Their chemistry is night and day difference. Then....on todays episode. They bring in a Ford Powertrain engineer to help start up a GM crate motor 350
This show is a trainwreck !
Old 08-19-2007, 11:06 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The young guy spent many a day on Overhaulin' - if he looks familiar to you.

I was coming on to the forum to post about this show when I saw you started a thread, so I'll just add to this one...

It seems to me like this show has become a big commercial with a little bit of how-to thrown in. When Sam first started endorsing the Tornado a few years ago, I lost all respect. Now I see that he's pushing more voo-doo parts (what was that magnetic ring that was supposed to increase horsepower and torque through the whole power band?).

Last edited by 62Jeff; 08-19-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the problem with all these shows - My Classic Car, Dream Car Garage, Two Guys, etc...they have huge segments with vendors promoting their snake oil and very little useful content.

I saw a cool t-shirt in a store the other day. It said, "Elbow grease will never come in a bottle"

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
It seems to me like this show has become a big commercial with a little bit of how-to thrown in.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
That is the problem with all these shows - My Classic Car, Dream Car Garage, Two Guys, etc...they have huge segments with vendors promoting their snake oil and very little useful content.

I saw a cool t-shirt in a store the other day. It said, "Elbow grease will never come in a bottle"
I see a trend - you just listed shows on the SPEED channel. At least the ones on Spike are still tolerable
Old 08-19-2007, 12:49 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Poo!

I agree with you Grey Ghost, I liked Sam and Dave. Why did Dave leave the show? Shadetree was a great name for the show. Two Guys Garage is too politically correct for me. Well I guess it is all about $$$ and more sponsors mean more $$$.

Earl
Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were doing lawn mowers the last time I watched (with product placement, of course). It's become a disguised informercial. I think there would be a market for a show about routine repairs on contempory cars.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:35 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree , two guys garage has changed / deteriorated into two guys comercial................... yeckkkk

The Dog...........
Old 08-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

When Sam first started endorsing the Tornado a few years ago, I lost all respect.
That's the exact reason I let my Corvette Fever subscription expire. If they fire the idiot who made that decision, I MIGHT resubscribe.

I see a trend - you just listed shows on the SPEED channel. At least the ones on Spike are still tolerable
Stacy David's (formerly of "Trucks!") show on ESPN2 is great.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Stacy David's (formerly of "Trucks!") show on ESPN2 is great.
Agreed, I like it much better than when he was doing Trucks.

The one gripe I have in general about Stacy, is he seems to trash the parts he removes from projects, for no real good reason. Watching him take parts off a truck in order to install a lift kit is like watching an episode of the moronic Monster Garage, where it seems that throwing removed items against a wall is rewarded with more air time.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The one gripe I have in general about Stacy, is he seems to trash the parts he removes from projects, for no real good reason. Watching him take parts off a truck in order to install a lift kit is like watching an episode of the moronic Monster Garage, where it seems that throwing removed items against a wall is rewarded with more air time.
I think he just acts like that, at least with the good parts. When he started doing the Ferrari-ish body mods to that Miata, he said that all of the stuff pulled off was going on eBay.

That said, I've thrown plenty of trashed parts across the garage or driveway when I've finally managed to get them loose...
Old 08-19-2007, 06:09 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I believe that show used to be filmed out of Knoxville Tenn, and if I remember correctly, it was funded by a non-profit station. Something like that. Yea, big bucks and greed always spoil things.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I believe that show used to be filmed out of Knoxville Tenn, and if I remember correctly, it was funded by a non-profit station. Something like that. Yea, big bucks and greed always spoil things.
I don't know about now, but after Knoxville, it was taped in the Tampa area. I knew the owner of a Nitrous BBC 72 Nova that appeared in an episode when the show was worth watching.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stacy David show on espn2

Please advise time and day of stacy espn2 show. regards, Abe G
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

The Tornado also turned me off on the Two Guys Garage...

My favorite is MuscleCar w/ Lou Santiago. This guy seems to know what he's talking about and if he doesn't - he lets you know that too.
Along w/ his sense of humor and actually showing his screw ups- I think it's the one on the best out there.

Richard
Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

The worst show for me has to be Car Crazy. It is a nonstop commercial for car wax and the host almost starts crying every time he reads a letter form a viewer. They do show some nice cars sometimes.

I remember the car talk guys talking about the tornado. They toar the thing apart. Somebody should get them on the speed channel... they wouldn't sell many tornados though.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Two Guys

I remember on show where Sam replaced the entire rear suspension of a 67 in 20 minutes. It was an unrealistic thing of beauty. Of course my wife and kids ask me why I can't replace components during an infomercial. Let's not forget Overhaulin 7 days for a rebuild and Jerry 2 years and counting. I can't win. The only thing I seem to do quickly is sex. Go figure. Jerry
Old 08-21-2007, 11:26 AM
abe g
Racer

Does anyone know when the espn2 show with stacy david is on day and hour? Abe G

Get notified of new replies

To The New Two Guys Garage

Old 08-21-2007, 02:26 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the good old fashioned "car guy" shows are a thing of the past. Too many commercials and not enough show. I used to enjoy Shadetree Mechanic. I still do watch Overhaulin, mostly for the human interest stuff. Chip Foose seems like a genuinely nice guy. Almost too good to be true. I must admit that I fantasize about him doing my 63. The show that drives me nuts is Car Crazy. Althoug I regularly use many McGuires products, Barry McGuire seems like such a phony. I don't know whats more annoying, his extremely white teeth or his nervous shoulder twitch. I'm not sure that I'd let him anywhere near me or my car. I'd be afraid that the creepynesss would rub off.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
Sure it does, you can get it along with you muffler bearings and cross drilled brake lines.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=32

Old 08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
ratpack1968
Pro

Originally Posted by ren
The show that drives me nuts is Car Crazy. Althoug I regularly use many McGuires products, Barry McGuire seems like such a phony. I don't know whats more annoying, his extremely white teeth or his nervous shoulder twitch. I'm not sure that I'd let him anywhere near me or my car. I'd be afraid that the creepynesss would rub off.
Thats funny, I noticed that last night. I couldn't figure out how he got the words through that big, fake smile.

If I did a car repair show it would have to be on cable - too much profanity...

Quick Reply: The New Two Guys Garage