C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spare tire lock - no keys

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Spare tire lock - no keys

My '64 has a spare tire lock on it, but I do not have keys to fit the lock. None of the prior owners that I have found has a key to it.

Are there any codes on the lock body that would allow a key to be cut for it, or will I have to cut it off? If cutting it off is the route I need to take, does anyone have a suggestion as to the best approach?

I have no idea how long the tire well has been locked without being opened, but I can see the pie crust side wall of a biased ply tire inside. I'm anxious to get in there to it, but hate to destroy the lock unless I have to.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You should be able to open the tire tub by taking the pressure off the bolt/lock and simply moving it to the side. You might have to put a jack under the lid area and lift it a little. If that does not work you can loosen the bolts that hold the bolt assembly to the rear frame. If you think your car is original you could take your glove box key and try that in the tub lock. Or, get a key make for the glove box lock and try that. Good luck.

Last edited by LSUvetteguy; 09-01-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 AM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glove box and spare tire key were originally the same on a '64. Hope you get lucky and both are original.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Default Boy do I feel dumb!

Thanks for the replies. I thought that the lock was an add-on accessory, and made the assumption that it would have a unique key. Bad assumption on my part. I tried the glove box key in the lock and it worked perfectly!

Thanks again for your replies.

Todd
Old 09-02-2007, 10:57 AM
ZRGator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Jalopy31
Thanks for the replies. I thought that the lock was an add-on accessory, and made the assumption that it would have a unique key. Bad assumption on my part. I tried the glove box key in the lock and it worked perfectly!

Thanks again for your replies.

Todd
OK, so tell us what you found in there?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

You can remove the complete lock bolt assembly by removing the two bolts that hold it to the crossmember. The original locks used the cars key so call some locksmiths and see if any have a set of the original GM master keys. I had a problem with my 56 and a local locksmith had the master key set from when his dad had owned the business. He tried one key at a time until he found the right key to unlock.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Default Here it is....

Originally Posted by ZRGator
OK, so tell us what you found in there?
Well nothing too exciting, but here it is. The only marking I could find on the wheel was the GM stamp in the center if the wheel. The wheel itself looked good. It has been mounted before and has had a hubcap or tirm ring mounted on it. The tire is an old Firestone biased ply tire.

I cleaned everyting up and put the tire back in there for now. I suppose I should put something in there that would actually be useful if I have a flat tire sometime.

Thanks,
Todd

Old 09-02-2007, 09:25 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Could be one of the original tires and wheels.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:23 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB69
Glove box and spare tire key were originally the same on a '64.
So are the ignition key and door key - 64's only had one key that fit everything. The separate key for the glove box and spare tire lock didn't start until 1965.

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire lock - no keys

Quick Reply: Spare tire lock - no keys