C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Coupe 427 / 425 Thoughts on finding one...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Paul_DC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 66 Coupe 427 / 425 Thoughts on finding one...

Hi,

Not really used to posting online, so I hope I don't commit too many "new guy" mistakes. Just looking for some thoughts, and sharing some of mine in my search for the right '66.

I guess an introduction is in order first. I grew up around 70's Vettes, with my dad (who always wanted and still wants a '63 SWC). The usual Vette posters on the wall, photos in the lockers, and reading the parts pages of any Vette magazine that came to the house. Every Sunday in the summer my dad and I would venture out for a "Vette Ride" and listen to Top 40 radio. Just driving around, doing the Vette wave. On the rare occasion, even getting to do a "night ride" -- always cool for the way the gauges lit up. Each Sunday after our drive, we would wash the car (I had tire, and interior duty) with me and my dad at my grandfather's house with my grandfather watching and supervising. Can't tell you how many fond memories I have during that time...

Through all the years we appreciated our vette, but also appreciated the time we would spend together (in those days and even today work tended to get in the way) "bonding" through the car. I know, it sounds hokey, but still.

Through all this he would still look at the 63's and you could always see a little twinge of wanting a 63 SWC - especially at car shows. Somewhere along the way I started migrating more towards the 66 and 67 vettes. I think it was because it had most of the lines of the 63 and when I saw (or should I said heard?) my first 66 427/425 with side pipes, I knew that would my "63."

Now, I'm a dad, and my dad is a grandfather. He still has "our" vette, and I am looking for a 66 Vette for my son and I. I've been looking for years (Hemmings, Autotrader, Vette Hound, here, car shows, auctions etc). Frankly, I am about to give up the search. The prices have moved so high (we waited too long) and the examples are harder to find.

So, I guess after all that...Am I delusional to think I can find a 66 427 / 425, coupe w/ factory side pipes, 4sp, with knock-offs, no hit and as original as possible? As you can see from my above, I want to drive the car. I'm not looking for an investment car, but want one the I can go to shows with my son with(more to attend than to show). Any thoughts? Is looking a waste of time?

Ugh.

Paul
Old 09-30-2007, 04:28 PM
snydes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not delusional to think that you can find such a car, but to find such a car at what price? That particular car is in high demand, so unless you are at the right place at the right time with an owner who is 20 years behind on pricing it might not happen. I don't know what you are looking to spend, but if you set your sights a little lower you could probably find a real nice car to create some memories with for 10's of thousands less.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:29 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Welcome to our family of vette owners, Paul. I must agree that the price of entry is a bit steep right now especially with the unsatiable appetite for big blocks, side pipes, knock-offs, etc. Hell, I'd like one too but I had to settle for what some on this forum affectionately call "the C-2 stepchild".....a 1964 a/c coupe. I modified it to what I wanted it to be.....a fast, nice handling, disc braked, side-piped, head turning ride for whole lot less $$ than a BB mid year. I was never the numbers matching type so it never bothered me in the least. But believe me it will turn heads with the best of them.

Buying a cheap(er) driver or nice complete project car and then building it your way may be the ticket. There are deals out there but you have to keep at it.

Good Luck on your quest

PS...I once owned a '66 BB coupe. Awesome ride. Oh well
Old 09-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...tte-21065.html
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Ebay and Chevy/Corvette Trader are full of 66 cars with 427/425. Most are at dealers but some are still found from individuals. As noted above the price can be steep. From your description you seem to want a nice stock appearing car and are not necessarily concerned that all numbers match, all parts are original or NOS, etc. With some searching you can probably find a nice stock looking car with a replacement motor or a nice original unrestored driver car. Find someone who knows these cars to help you. Buying 40 year old cars can be risky business with what they are asking for these things and considering what some of them have been through over the years. It's easy to buy on emotion and get a bum car that isn't what you thought it was.

Dan
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Red63SW
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul_DC
Through all the years we appreciated our vette, but also appreciated the time we would spend together (in those days and even today work tended to get in the way) "bonding" through the car. I know, it sounds hokey, but still.
Not hokey at all. A lot of us caught the old car bug from our Dads. Welcome aboard.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Dick Whittington
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, by all means purchase what you want if you have the means. Your son is only young one time. Creat a lifetime of memories. Beware that the BB cars are some of the most counterfeited cars out there. If you are comfortable with your judgement, by all means hire a professional to evaluate the car for you. If you do hire someone, ask for references. Make sure he/she is knowledgeable about Corvettes.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Paul_DC
Advanced

Hey guys, thanks for the words of welcome, encouragement and advice both here and on PM. Much appreciated!

I'll let anyone know if I find anything interesting...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I know you are looking for 66 427/425. I would suggest you look for a nice 327/350 HP instead. It is a much more streetable and driveable car and I think you would enjoy it much more.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
jammovette
Pro

Originally Posted by JL66REDCPE
I know you are looking for 66 427/425. I would suggest you look for a nice 327/350 HP instead. It is a much more streetable and driveable car and I think you would enjoy it much more.
I don't know about this. My 66 425/450 hp is pretty streetable and drivable. I think I'll go for a spin down to the Dairy Queen and get some ice cream. You can still purchase these rare high horse vettes without breaking the bank by finding one still flared or customized from the 60's. Get one with still original drivetrain and worry about NCRS resto after you get tired of hotroding around town in it. My problem is I don't think I'll get tired of the hotroding. See profile for pic of 66 427/450 hp vette. This is the view most other cars around town only see, the rear. James
Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Come on, those L72 engines are very streetable. My favorite 68 Camaro has one. Plus the sucker has a turbo 400 and factory air. {Never done before in 1968 } Oh yes, I put a 4.11 gear in it too. It`s a pure fun machine and sometimes doubles as a street sleeper. I think the 1966 L72 Vettes are actually the best deal of the C2`s. The tri-power cars are extremely over priced and most my not even be as quick as the L72`s. .....

PS, go get one, those 66 factory engines are nearly bullet proof... extremely hard to hurt.......
Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 AM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I was chuckling to myself as I was writing my response as I knew I would probably get much disagreement. Dont get me wrong, I love my 66 427/425 car. I have owned it for over 10 years now and replaced virtually every nut, bolt, washer and many major components in the first five years of ownership. The point is I actually work on the car and know it pretty well. There are some qwirks that you have to get used to if you own one in my opinion. For example -- you need to solve the potential overheat at idle challenges. Can you imagine going to Carlisle and sitting in traffic on a saturday morning idling for almost an hour ??? My motor is basically stock - 30 over and 11:1. I must use a 50/50 ratio of 110 or 112 octane and 93 pump gas or it diesels and starts hard. This also makes long trips a real challenge as race gas is not always available. I carry two cans of Torco concentrated race gas (not octane booster) to overcome this. You can only buy this directly from Torco by the way. Even with the sidepipes, it is hot inside. Again, this car is part of the family and is not going anywhere while I am still alive. I just think that maybe the 327/350 is a less challenging option. Oh yeah, I do drive it
Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Dad's '66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL66REDCPE
I was chuckling to myself as I was writing my response as I knew I would probably get much disagreement. Dont get me wrong, I love my 66 427/425 car. I have owned it for over 10 years now and replaced virtually every nut, bolt, washer and many major components in the first five years of ownership. The point is I actually work on the car and know it pretty well. There are some qwirks that you have to get used to if you own one in my opinion. For example -- you need to solve the potential overheat at idle challenges. Can you imagine going to Carlisle and sitting in traffic on a saturday morning idling for almost an hour ??? My motor is basically stock - 30 over and 11:1. I must use a 50/50 ratio of 110 or 112 octane and 93 pump gas or it diesels and starts hard. This also makes long trips a real challenge as race gas is not always available. I carry two cans of Torco concentrated race gas (not octane booster) to overcome this. You can only buy this directly from Torco by the way. Even with the sidepipes, it is hot inside. Again, this car is part of the family and is not going anywhere while I am still alive. I just think that maybe the 327/350 is a less challenging option. Oh yeah, I do drive it

Not sure how your car is set up with timing, carb, etc. but we have no problems running just premium gas in our L72, especially after Lar's did some tweeking. The car starts fine, and the thing runs like a champ! With the changes in timing and distributor set up, we had no overheating problems this summer, though we did not sit in traffic for an hour. If it is 95 degrees outside, then yes, it is hot inside. Going to try a heater control valve, and see if that helps.

Not trying to discount your experiences, just trying to point out that these cars can be set up such that they do not have the issues described. If the person who started this thread wants a '66 L72, I would hate for them to not do it because of some people's not so good experiences. We have an absolute blast with ours!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Should be easy to find one, there are more in existance now than were originally made.

On the other hand, a nice L79 327/350 will be just as quick as the BB car.

Doug
Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 AM
wallemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Should be easy to find one, there are more in existance now than were originally made.

On the other hand, a nice L79 327/350 will be just as quick as the BB car.

Doug
I agree, I really think you should look for that MUCH CHEAPER 327 alternative and make it into a BB car with your son. How could you ask for better memories than that? You could do the entire project for a heck of a lot less than an original BB car would cost you and have a heck of a lot of fun doing it.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Paul_DC
Advanced

Ok, so I might have found the car. It's a bit rough and looking for thoughts on it. The more candid the better!

First the good. 66 427 / 425, side pipes, convertible. Seems to be the original engine. I hope to get the Engine Pad Stamp, Engine Block Cast, Intake Manifold etc on Sunday. It has PW / PB and Teakwood wheel. Frame looks good, no rust.

Now the not so good. And there is a bunch of not so good...First, the Holley carb was replaced with a newer Holley and the original seems to be gone. The car has a M21 Transmission, but it does not seem to be the original (looking for the numbers tomorrow to confirm). Also, it does not have the original rear-end / differential. It also has the wrong color exterior and interior...the paint is probably a 2/10.

Over the years it has been checked out by the local NCRS guru, and the local corvette shop. I hope to get it checked out by the local expert again.

Any thoughts? I know its not much to go on, but a bit of sanity would be greatly appreciated. BTW, this would be a driver, with the intent of a long road to NCRS restoration.

(edit, fixed my fat fingers)

Last edited by Paul_DC; 05-04-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:45 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i have a car that i might sell to an appreciative owner. i am 3rd owner.
silver/black/black
vert
L72 is only option; no radio
send me a pm for price

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Coupe 427 / 425 Thoughts on finding one...

Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dad's '66
Not sure how your car is set up with timing, carb, etc. but we have no problems running just premium gas in our L72, especially after Lar's did some tweeking. The car starts fine, and the thing runs like a champ! With the changes in timing and distributor set up, we had no overheating problems this summer, though we did not sit in traffic for an hour. If it is 95 degrees outside, then yes, it is hot inside. Going to try a heater control valve, and see if that helps.

Not trying to discount your experiences, just trying to point out that these cars can be set up such that they do not have the issues described. If the person who started this thread wants a '66 L72, I would hate for them to not do it because of some people's not so good experiences. We have an absolute blast with ours!
Including the "Lars" part (a very good friend of mine for years). That aside, if you wait around until I am among the "departed", I am certain my spouse or estate will part with it at a "reasonable" price (for the time). NO. I WILL NOT be buried or cremated in it!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:39 AM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

I don't want to hijack this thread, but have a simlar scenario to that of the original poster. I've lurked here on the board for awhile, and am looking for a 66 roadster. If I found a nice 327/350, I'd not be opposed to it, though I might pull the engine/trans. and attempt a Crate/Tremec combo of the kind Black Magic did, TT2s, etc. (I could always reverse these mods if needed.) If a big block, and properly restored, I'd drive it/keep it as is, but potentially change (enhance) the cooling portion. (Actually, I'll probably do this with either a SB or BB)(Nobody can convince me that this combo will cool as I'd like it to on a San Antonio summer day...) Finally, if I find the right car, though I'm not a spendthrift, I'll spend the money. So, with the right BB or 327/350, I'm there. I think I have a good grip on the prices, and realize that a BB could cost considerably more. I'm buying this car to keep. I've always wanted one. (My wife wants me to buy a new Z06; she likes luxury...The neighbors have one, and she just doesn't understand that the Mid-Year is timeless.) The C-6 is nice until the C-7 comes out. No interest in that...

Anyway, I need an expert to help me when I do finally find candidates. I'm from Katy, TX (Houston-though I now live in San Antonio.) Do the Nabors Bros. provide any kind of service like this? I'm quite mechanically inclined, and restored two Mustangs when I was younger, but feel that it would be prudent to have a true Mid-Year guru with me. Any recommendations?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_DC
Ok, so I might have found the car. It's a bit rough and looking for thoughts on it. The more candid the better!

First the good. 66 427 / 435, side pipes, convertible. Seems to be the original engine. I hope to get the Engine Pad Stamp, Engine Block Cast, Intake Manifold etc on Sunday. It has PW / PB and Teakwood wheel. Frame looks good, no rust.
So far, so good

Now the not so good. And there is a bunch of not so good...First, the Holley carb was replaced with a newer Holley and the original seems to be gone.
No big deal

The car has a M21 Transmission, but it does not seem to be the original (looking for the numbers tomorrow to confirm). Also, it does not have the original rear-end / differential. It also has the wrong color exterior and interior...the paint is probably a 2/10.
All of those are items that will help you get the car for much less than if everything matched. Since the paint is a 2/10, chances are the interior is nothing to write home about either. So at this point you've got a car that needs paint and probably needs interior - so it really doesn't matter if they are the right or wrong colors now since you can make them all correct when you redo them.

...BTW, this would be a driver, with the intent of a long road to NCRS restoration.
Well, my limited NCRS experience says that the judges won't crawl under your car far enough to check the transmission or differential numbers, so even if those things are wrong I don't believe you'd lose points at an event.

Sounds like it might be the right car for you and your son to rebuild.

Quick Reply: 66 Coupe 427 / 425 Thoughts on finding one...