C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How would *YOU* build a Resto-Mod??????

Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Dang man did I miss something. Your next one! I have not even riden in the current one, well I sat in the frame while it moved 2 inches. How are you going to top the current one. I know you are just itching for a set of 345s in the rear of something.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by richscorvettes
Jeff,

It's great to read the responses with peoples ideas of what they would build. I think the greatest thing about these projects is that you get to express your own ideas, experience the hands-on fun of seeing your project come to life as well as having something unique when completed.

Good to see that you are thinking about the next project - there always seems to be one around the corner.......

Rich
Rich,
I can't imagine your thinking about your next one!! My god man, after the awesome rides you have put together in the past and the blood sweat and tears you have put into your amazing 63 project...what's left??

I bow to the king of resto-mod
Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff,

Did you ever get to finish your car's website? Can't wait to see pictures of the build.

Islander
Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Islander21
Jeff,

Did you ever get to finish your car's website? Can't wait to see pictures of the build.

Islander
My web site builder (wife) took a break to complete some other higher priority projects......decorating part of the house I hope to get her priorities straitened out soon and get her to finish it up! I will post a link when it's up and running.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:31 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
My web site builder (wife) took a break to complete some other higher priority projects......decorating part of the house I hope to get her priorities straitened out soon and get her to finish it up! I will post a link when it's up and running.

OOOOH ! ! ! I'm TELLIN ! ! ! !

Rich
Old 10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Rich,
I can't imagine your thinking about your next one!! what's left??
A loooooong rest........

Rich
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How would I do a resto-rod ?

Well, I started with a c6 that was an exec. ride and drive car. # 114. The car had 600 miles on it. We pulled the body off which also takes the two main side rails. I fabricated up a frame to match the 58 frame. Of course the frame is aluminium to match the rest of the c6 undercarrage. The frame with drive train complete wght. is 1820 lbs. That includes exhast, tires, wiring,computer, rad. ect. I'm working on the body now. It all takes a lot of time.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 90067
Well, I started with a c6 that was an exec. ride and drive car. # 114. The car had 600 miles on it. We pulled the body off which also takes the two main side rails. I fabricated up a frame to match the 58 frame. Of course the frame is aluminium to match the rest of the c6 undercarrage. The frame with drive train complete wght. is 1820 lbs. That includes exhast, tires, wiring,computer, rad. ect. I'm working on the body now. It all takes a lot of time.
What? No pics?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:35 PM
90ZR1
Racer

Well, you know my opinion. I'm into bolt-on mods. Streetshop frame, LS2 motor and Tremec 5-speed tranny and Dana 44 rear.
Keep interior and exterior as original as possible save for the rims/tires and I did and am doing with the C1 I"m currently on:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1781661

Colt
Old 10-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

OK,OK I'll get some pics. The frame, complete with x member, does look kinda sweet. The body and inter. will be all stock. It was originally a blue/ blue fuelie.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM
65Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have the complete part list but it would look pretty much like this when I was done:

Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM
hpexpatriot
Racer

Pictures are coming....I got tied up in a project. My car is just SOOOOO bland. Darn you you got me all fired up again about doing a resto-mod
Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Now if I could just find a project car not priced like a driver I would be all set.

Tom M
Tom,
Sounds like a kick butt car, got to love the combonation of new chassis and classic thumper under the hood

Heck ya Dave!! I KNOW you could build one Billy bad Azz ride given a clean sheet of paper. Sooo what would it be???
Old 10-12-2007, 05:54 AM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Sounds like you're very talented.

I once built Sportsman Red 54 with Newman C4 Chassis, LS1/4L60E, 58 hardtop and ROLL UP windoows!

Traded it for one of my 53's even up. I'd like to build another one someday!
Great thread starter! Keep up the good work!!!!
Brett
Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by hpexpatriot
Pictures are coming....I got tied up in a project. My car is just SOOOOO bland. Darn you you got me all fired up again about doing a resto-mod
Ray,
Ha ha! It's infectious isn’t it!!! I know what you mean. I have not even finished mine and I already know what I would like to build next. Definitely a sickness
Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Jeff, You know me I always have an Ace in the hole. I would do a stock frame with the new VB&P coil overs on all four corners. The rolling stock would have to be 17"s on all four corners with the offset trailing arms so I could put more meat on the rear to hold some of the power. Needless to say the power plant would be more than enough to smoke the tires.

The drive train is where this car would stand apart. Using a SB as a platform I would turbo charge the system. Yep turbos plural. The idea that has come to light in the last year or so is rear mounted turbos to get away from the underhood space issues. With the spare tire tube removed and running undercar exhaust I believe that this would be doable.

The one problem that I can see first would be the exhaust however I think that can be worked out too. I would make the crossmember removable and mimic the two factory clearance exhaust holes. Thus you would have four holes now in the crossmember. Really after that it should just be plumbing the system. There is no need for an intercooler as the pipes running aft to forward will allow the intake charge to cool prior to entering the intake.

The color combo would have to be a stock setup but something you don't see that much. Nassau Blue with Tan interior and Tan Hartz top.

The wheels would have to be something beside the Polished TTII's though. Maybe the grey centered TTII's or the SaltFlats kidney bean wheels.

Okay I shot my load on what's been rattling around in my head for a while. I'm sure there are a bunch of little details that I would work out but for the most part the car would look stock until you open the hood or start the car. Your car is great but even at first look you see that it's a built car. You know me I like the stock appearance but with all the goodies. You and Rich should make the ride out to Roanoke Rapids tomorrow for the car show..

Dave

Last edited by Hitch; 10-12-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

Default '62 vette picture.

65Corvette,

That picture of the '62 Vette is incredible!! Just when I think I get my '62 lookin good...along comes something like this.

Is that your '62 as well? WOW! What a car!

See Ya, Pat

Get notified of new replies

To How would *YOU* build a Resto-Mod??????

Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, so I got to thinking again. I know, it's dangerous. But after seeing that post about the frame-rot on the '64, and the brake upgrade post on the '64...

So, again, if it were to acutally happen, with a numbers matching '64 coupe as a starting point. I was thinking along the lines of the keep-it-looking-stock-crowd...

Get a Street Shop frame with C4 chassis and brakes, a 5-speed gearbox, and put the original 300 HP engine and accessories back in it, with the addition of a era-correct PS pump and vintage a/c. Perhaps a guy could fuse an era-correct(ish) brake booster and mc with the modern brakes enough that it looked stock under the hood as well as outside the car. Speaking of outside the car, perhaps a set of vintage style centerlines to add a bit of spice. That way, you could put on some decent rubber and wouldn't reveal the disks to the casual observer.

I'm just sayin'...

Old 10-15-2007, 04:03 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
Okay I shot my load on what's been rattling around in my head for a while. I'm sure there are a bunch of little details that I would work out but for the most part the car would look stock until you open the hood or start the car. Your car is great but even at first look you see that it's a built car. You know me I like the stock appearance but with all the goodies. You and Rich should make the ride out to Roanoke Rapids tomorrow for the car show..

Dave
Dave,
great concept. I too have been impressed with the sts style turbo system. They sound wicked under a full load and make stupid power
Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM
jkade72
Heel & Toe

What about this one? http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2659577

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How would *YOU* build a Resto-Mod??????