C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power Window Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 04:56 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Default Power Window Update

Hello all. Thought I'd update you on the Power Window problem with my 65. Drilled a few new "access holes" and got all the internals out.
New access holes:

Today I took apart the motor and here is what I found:

The brushes have pretty much turned to powder:

One brush was completely gone:

and, here are two shots of the armature:

Questions:

Is this armature in good enough shape to just add new brushes and rebuild the motor?

Would it be smarter to just by a replacement motor and be done with it?

Thanks everyone!

DZ
Old 10-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

That makes me want to go pull my motors tonight to see if I need new brushes. The armature looks pretty beat up but you may get by with stoning it and seeing what you come up with. I don't know where you can get a stone that small to fit into the motor assy. However you could use some sand paper and try cleaning it up. Dave
Old 10-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default PW Repair

The armature should be turned in a lathe, then checked for shorting in a 'growler'. If it is ok, then new brushes, file the contacts, and a thorough cleaning should make it as good as new. If you don't have access to a lathe, try to find the oldest automotive electrical shop in your area. They will have what you need.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:20 AM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Yea, think I'll check mine as well but later in the winter.

If I were you I would try to rebuild. 1st is the satisfaction, 2nd new ones never seem to be as good as the old one's (if they are re-buildable) and 3rd it's cheaper.

I rebuilt my headlight motors last winter and it worked out real good. Both motors go up the same spd. and down almost together.

Next for me, power-window motors.
Keep us updated on what you end up doing.

regards,
65-StingRay
Old 10-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Woodie
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

It does appear someone got their monies worth out of that motor. I am going to check mine now also.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:24 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Thanks everybody. We have a good electric motor shop in town and I think I'll take the armature to them to see what they can do to clean it up. On the plus side, the window was working before it gave up the ghost two weeks ago! Other than the brushes and lots of old grease in the gear mechanism things look pretty good. If I get time I'll put together a "primer" on disassembly of the unit. One thing is sure, that part in the 63 manual about inserting the bolt through the weld nut in the regulator bracket and the hole in the regulator arm is not something you want to ignore. That's a pretty tough spring. Glad I paid attention to that.

For those of you considering this job, unless you know something I didn't know, you will have to remove your vent window assembly to get the regulator and motor out of the door.

Anybody know who might carry the brushes? Haven't tripped over them in any of the usual places.

Thanks!

DZ

Get notified of new replies

To Power Window Update

Quick Reply: Power Window Update