C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

finally found Sebring Silver paint code

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default finally found Sebring Silver paint code

I have been looking for a color similiar to what my 63 had on it when I bought it. It was called Sebring Silver. I have searched for a "Sebring Silver" for a long time. I did find a very old chart that listed all corvette colors and it had a Sebring Silver but no code was shown as the chart said that the paint had been discontinued. It was too expensive to produce due to the high Aluminum flake content thus the retail price would have been prohibitive. That is what the chart said.

I have previously painted it a silver from lexus (Millenium metallic) but, as it has a very slight bronze to it, it is too dark for what I wanted. I then found another Lexus color that was very close to what I wanted (Mercury Metallic).

Then I saw a street rod with the color that I really wanted. The owner told me it was a 2003 honda silver but he did not know the code or name. while looking at Honda chips, I saw a "Sebring Silver". It has the brilliance that I have been looking for and coincidentally ( I guess), it was in fact called Sebring Silver.

Now to repaint!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sebring Silver

I guess you never saw this site-

www.corvettepaintcodes.com
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by lovevettes
I guess you never saw this site-

www.corvettepaintcodes.com
Aren't those the codes for the old, original, lacquer that isn't available anymore? I browsed through the Dupont website but wasn't able to find a chart to show current base coat/clear coat equivalents to the old paint code numbers.

Last edited by Vet65te; 10-29-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Aren't those the codes for the old, original, lacquer that isn't available anymore? I browsed through the Dupont website but wasn't able to find a chart to show current base coat/clear coat equivalents to the old paint code numbers.
No one has been able to get me a paint code for Sebring Silver for the corvette. one store had a very old GM paint chip pamplet and the pamplet clearly said that the paint was no longer available. I will call dupont and see if they have a sebring silver with the code that was shown on the corvette paint code site.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 03:46 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Paint Scratch has Sebring Silver(#941) in B/C for about 350 dollars a gallon for the base.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

While Selecting my 63's paint color code, I found there was 3 different versions of Silver Blue metallic ( early middle and late) for that year. Working with my paint supplier, I researched the specific (tint) pigment ingredients. Of the three codes, I selected the one with NO Green pigment (Late). I recommend a experienced paint supplier that handles restorations and pick his brain. Perhaps Call a corvette restoration shop for advice also. Good luck

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Stingxray; 10-31-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The availability of the particular color varies by company. Most colors have an offset color available in the newer systems and can be crossed using the code provided in the chart. But it is correct that some codes won't cross because the brand never made a new formula in the new systems or can't.

Sebring silver is available. Hint... I own corvettepaintcodes.com and we make the color at least once a month.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To finally found Sebring Silver paint code

Quick Reply: finally found Sebring Silver paint code