C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power Steering Control Valve leak and Rebuild

Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 53 Blue Flame Brett
Geat article and pictures!

If anyone decides to just buy a new one, here's a tip.

After you install it, make sure that the centering adjustment is somewhere in near the middle. You can adjust it with the car running and the wheels will center up for you. Place the car on jack stands in the front and start the car. As you adjust, the wheels will go to the correct aligned position. HERE'S THE TIP.

When starting the car, if you are just reaching in to start it, DO NOT STICK YOUR HAND THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL WHEN TURNING THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the valve is not centered, the steering wheel will rotate with your arm still stuck through it!!! It will rotate fast.

It hurts like #%^&*!!. I was 19 yrs old when I did this and haven't forgot it. I'm 46 now and still have both arms!! Good learning experience.
hey I was 19 when one tried to snap my arm too
Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
hey I was 19 when one tried to snap my arm too
WOW my old thread got dug up.. and yes if the valve isn't centered and you have you arm through the steering wheel you could expect to have your arm broken. The rest of the time we Rebs would just turn you over to the Yankess... over the wall they were..
Old 03-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
WOW my old thread got dug up.. and yes if the valve isn't centered and you have you arm through the steering wheel you could expect to have your arm broken. The rest of the time we Rebs would just turn you over to the Yankess... over the wall they were..
I am hoping to install my rebuilt system I did thanks to your and Jackfit's information on the process. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think the hardest part of all of this was separating the ball stud from the pitman arm. I know that I’ve read in the past that using a pickle fork is not a good idea on the PSCV. However I have tried my tie rod puller and there is not enough room so I had to use the pickle fork. If anyone has a picture of said ball stud separator that will fit in the confines of a midyear frame it would be greatly appreciated. Dave
Dave: This is a most helpful thread you posted. You're right, the hardest part is separating the ball stud from the pitman arm. Instead of using a pickle fork, here's the tool that I used that fits in the limited space available (and I have a BB). This ball joint separator is about 6.25" in length. I oriented the tool along an axis that runs parallel to the PSCV. I purchased this tool in Toronto at Princess Auto , but a similar tool is available from Harbor Freight in the US. The tool I bought has four settings to accommodate a variety of ball joints and depressions on the pivoting arm to seat properly on the ball stud.

Thanks for this thread Dave, and now I'm on to the next (hopefully easier) phase of my PSCV rebuild.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:38 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Hey Hitch

Your thread popped up on the C3 forum...same problem leaky PSCV. Anyway, I've rebuilt mine in the past and have another to do so was curious about your post and found it instructive.

I also went over to the NCRS Tech Board where there was discussion about early PSCV (1963-75) versus late (1976-86) that also served as a service replacement for the 1963-75. In 1976, an o-ring groove was machined into the housing and its this part that became a service replacement for 1963-75. I'm curious, it appears that your housing has a groove (o-ring?) in the housing. Can you confirm?

Control Valve Housing early and late

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 07-29-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add housing photo
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Hey Hitch

Your thread popped up on the C3 forum...same problem leaky PSCV. Anyway, I've rebuilt mine in the past and have another to do so was curious about your post and found it instructive.

I also went over to the NCRS Tech Board where there was discussion about early PSCV (1963-75) versus late (1976-86) that also served as a service replacement for the 1963-75. In 1976, an o-ring groove was machined into the housing and its this part that became a service replacement for 1963-75. I'm curious, it appears that your housing has a groove (o-ring?) in the housing. Can you confirm?

Control Valve Housing early and late
I'm guessing that mine was replaced somewhere down the line but with that being said I ordered the kit for my car. That would be a 66 from Corvette Steering in SC and recieved the correct parts. So I might be wrong..

Name:  Installationstack6.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  32.2 KB
Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 PM
timdanitschek
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, you are my HERO!!! After 3 failed attempts at a rebuild (by following their directions/diagrams), I just printed your picture of all the parts (exploded) and succeeded! Your article saved my from turning in my IQ card and joining the Moron Club.
(I discovered that you can also bleed the system just by extending and retracting the cylinder rod several times...if the system is close to balanced...) Thanx, again!
Tim
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Tim, I'm glad you found the thread. I had lots of help an thought that putting this together would help my Corvette brothern. I never thought it would go 15k plus views though..
Old 05-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by BrentF
Dave: This is a most helpful thread you posted. You're right, the hardest part is separating the ball stud from the pitman arm. Instead of using a pickle fork, here's the tool that I used that fits in the limited space available (and I have a BB). This ball joint separator is about 6.25" in length. I oriented the tool along an axis that runs parallel to the PSCV. I purchased this tool in Toronto at Princess Auto , but a similar tool is available from Harbor Freight in the US. The tool I bought has four settings to accommodate a variety of ball joints and depressions on the pivoting arm to seat properly on the ball stud.

Thanks for this thread Dave, and now I'm on to the next (hopefully easier) phase of my PSCV rebuild.
Brent, I missed this when you orginally posted it but found the one at Harbor Freight not to long ago and you are right it works GREAT!.... Interestingly enough to everyone that has seen this thread I have since installed the Borgeson box and it is a dramatic improvement over the stock box and PSCV.

I had rebuilt my box with new sector and worm gear then rebuilt the PSCV as seen here and was never satisfied with it. While it worked as it was supposed to it was not enough. I drove a friend's car (Thank you Marshall) and I ordered the Borgeson box the next day.

Hitch
Old 09-17-2016, 10:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Rebuild video:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592441224

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 09-17-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Control Valve leak and Rebuild