C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 vert vent window weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 65 vert vent window weatherstripping

After having my vent window frames replated, I've installed weatherstripping furnished by paragon. Haven't put the frames back into door just yet but have installed the vent window glass into frame to check fit. Gasket or weatherstripping seems too thick and seems to restrict full closing. Anyone experience the same problem and what was your remedy?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall where I got my weatherstripping but I did have a similar issue.....What I did was crank it closed, then put the car out in the sun and snugged it down every few hours...after a few days the rubber seems to sorta set and form to the window and frame... it looks like the window closes all the way which it didn't before....I haven't used the hose to check the seal yet but it seems to seal up fairly well.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by macdarren
I don't recall where I got my weatherstripping but I did have a similar issue.....What I did was crank it closed, then put the car out in the sun and snugged it down every few hours...after a few days the rubber seems to sorta set and form to the window and frame... it looks like the window closes all the way which it didn't before....I haven't used the hose to check the seal yet but it seems to seal up fairly well.
Do you think a heat gun might be effective?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 AM
63two
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 65 Weather strip

I had a simular problem with a mid year coupe last winter .The bottom line is most repro rubber is junk at best, I almost think I would be better off with my orignal 44 year old seals Steve
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat gun might achieve the same effect I got with the sun...My concern would be getting things too hot...also maybe unevenly hot. My thinking was that the car sits in the sun anyway so that would not hurt anything....I was just going for softening the new seals with the hope I could work them in a bit better but I noticed I could snug the vent closed bit by bit....

I suspect their might be some truth to the idea that alot of the replacement stuff it less than ideal but I'd say what I have not is a definite improvement from the old cracked stuff I had before and since I destroyed the seal removing it no way can I go back. My biggest problem was how the rubber fit along the bottom of the vent where is is supposed to lock into the channel...I never got it to lock well and ended up with some adhesive in there to help keep things in place. It remains to be seen if it will stand the test of time and regular use.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
66BB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weatherstrip is cured at about 350°F, depending on the compound, cure system, ect. Any time you reheat the rubber to a high temperature you are ageing it. So just be careful not to get it too hot. I would heat it to 160-180°, that should soften it.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 vert vent window weatherstripping

Quick Reply: 65 vert vent window weatherstripping