C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Dual Quad Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM
C1FROMLV
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C1 Dual Quad Problem

My original carter carbs have just about had it - car sputters, burns rich and reaks of fuel. I want to drive the car soon without having to do lengthy rebuild waiting on kits or sending to a service, etc.; so I tried replacing them w/a pair of edelbrock 1404's - but the butterfly's on the bottom are too big for the openings on the stock intake. Does anyone know of a bolt on carb replacement or a way to make the edelbrock's fit (yes, I am keeping the original carbs for the car - but I have had great luck with edelbrock on other cars). I just want to get a low-maintenance set of carbs keeping the original dual quad intake on the car. Any and all ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch,
Joe
Old 11-16-2007, 08:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Try JC Whitney Auto in Chicago or a similar place. They used to make adaptors for AFB to WCFB mounting.

They'll be on the top shelf, back row with lots of dust on them if you can find them.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
Try JC Whitney Auto in Chicago or a similar place. They used to make adaptors for AFB to WCFB mounting.

They'll be on the top shelf, back row with lots of dust on them if you can find them.
I read on another forum that this works:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/70,5...itemNo=7202085
but haven't personally confirmed it. My WCFB's are killing me too -- they soak my plugs with soot until the car misfires - shipped both carbs off for a rebuild after fighting with them for weeks. I have a rebuilt single Carter and manifold for a '61 vette I'm considering using in the meantime.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

this is on fleabay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Small...spagenameZWDVW

Bill
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM

That is exactly correct! About 40+yrs ago, this was a fairly common way to install AFBs on the original WCFB manifold. You may have to do some searching, but I bet you can find a pair of the adapters.
Also, the WCFB is really a fairly good carb and quite simple (as 4bl carbs go). They're worth saving/rebuilding-----------------ESPECIALLY if they are matched 2x4 carbs!!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:15 PM
C1FROMLV
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fdreano
I read on another forum that this works:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/70,5...itemNo=7202085
but haven't personally confirmed it. My WCFB's are killing me too -- they soak my plugs with soot until the car misfires - shipped both carbs off for a rebuild after fighting with them for weeks. I have a rebuilt single Carter and manifold for a '61 vette I'm considering using in the meantime.
Found the adaptors at so-cal speed shop. I will post a new thread in a couple of weeks and let you know how the edelbrock's work
Thanks a bunch
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by C1FROMLV
Found the adaptors at so-cal speed shop. I will post a new thread in a couple of weeks and let you know how the edelbrock's work
Thanks a bunch
Just check your air cleaner hgt. BEFORE you close the hood.

Plasticman
Old 11-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by C1FROMLV
Thanks a bunch
I would indeed appreciate it especially interested to see how new carbs perform on stock dual quad manifold.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread got me to thinkin' about a way to improve the fuel distribution of the 2 x 4 setup. By design, having the engine run off of the rear carb only promotes rich rear cylinders and lean front cylinders. I suppose that is why the rear spark plugs soot up and cause problems. However, I am curious if anyone has ever installed leaner primary jets and rods in the primaries of BOTH the front and rear carbs so that the engine runs off of both carbs front 2-BBls. This can be accomplished with a linkage change to the upper hole on the front carb. I have modified standard Edelbrock metering rods to form a loop on the top that mimics the original WCFB rods. It is easy to do with a couple of pair of needle-nose pliers and patience. I believe standard Edelbrock or Carter main jets will fit the WCFB holes. Through trial and error, it seems to me that this could be the answer to the problems many are having with the 2 x 4 setup. Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Coves4me
This thread got me to thinkin' about a way to improve the fuel distribution of the 2 x 4 setup. By design, having the engine run off of the rear carb only promotes rich rear cylinders and lean front cylinders. I suppose that is why the rear spark plugs soot up and cause problems. However, I am curious if anyone has ever installed leaner primary jets and rods in the primaries of BOTH the front and rear carbs so that the engine runs off of both carbs front 2-BBls. This can be accomplished with a linkage change to the upper hole on the front carb. I have modified standard Edelbrock metering rods to form a loop on the top that mimics the original WCFB rods. It is easy to do with a couple of pair of needle-nose pliers and patience. I believe standard Edelbrock or Carter main jets will fit the WCFB holes. Through trial and error, it seems to me that this could be the answer to the problems many are having with the 2 x 4 setup. Any thoughts?
Have tried this in the past, and it did not work well. With 2 carb primaries opening at once (at low RPM and load), the engine tends to lean surge. And that was without leaning out the carbs metering.

Think that GM (and all the other guys) knew what they were doing when they used progressive linkage.

Note that this was with dual 500 CFM Carter carbs on an Offenhauser manifold.

Plasticman

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Dual Quad Problem

Quick Reply: C1 Dual Quad Problem