C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Enclosed trailer for Corvette, need some advice and help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:55 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Enclosed trailer for Corvette, need some advice and help

I am looking for an enclosed trailer for my Corvettes. I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche.

How much trailer can I really pull with the truck?

The Corvettes that I would pull are about 3000 pounds and there would be one other car that might be as much as 3500 pounds. I have an aluminum open trailer now that weighs only 1000 pounds and with the car on it is no big deal.

The trailers look to be between 3000 and 4000 pounds empty.

I don't really want to buy another truck, the one i have is paid for.

Things to look for? Consider? Advice? Help?

thanks, Herb
Old 12-01-2007, 12:10 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much is the "truck" rated for pulling? It should be in the owners manual.

Don't even consider a trailer without a full frame (two rails that go from the tongue to the tail). Get axles that are rated for at least 6,000 lbs.

A goose-neck would be ideal.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:27 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Herb,

I pull a 20' pace with my Tahoe, and it pulls like a dream. Your
Avalance should be rated about the same, as it is the same drivetrain and chassis. Top notch sway control and a good load equalizer hitch is a must on any truck with this short a wheelbase. The sway effect is much worse on a short wheelbase, and a good sway control coupled with proper adjustment of the lift bars will make it tow like a dream.
Poorly adjusted lift bars, and lack of sway control, will be a white knuckled driving experience! A good brake controller is a must, and the Tekonsha Prodigy controller is so far ahead of anything else, that is easy to see why they own the market for controllers. With your Avalanche, it is a plug and play controller. It just plugs into plug on the factory convience center under the dash.

Another must-have for me, is a front mounted hitch as well. It makes backing the trailer through the gate into my backyard a snap! You can see where you are backing without having to rely on mirrors, and the change in direction is instantly, unlike when you are backing.

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 12-01-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Herb,

Avalance should be rated about the same, as it is the same drivetrain and chassis. Top notch sway control and a good load equalizer hitch is a must on any truck with this short a wheelbase. The sway effect is much worse on a short wheelbase, and a good sway control coupled with proper adjustment of the lift bars will make it tow like a dream.
Poorly adjusted lift bars, and lack of sway control, will be a white knuckled driving experience! A good brake controller is a must, and the Tekonsha Prodigy controller is so far ahead of anything else, that is easy to see why they own the market for controllers. With your Avalanche, it is a plug and play controller. It just plugs into plug on the factory convience center under the dash.

Another must-have for me, is a front mounted hitch as well. It makes backing the trailer through the gate into my backyard a snap! You can see where you are backing without having to rely on mirrors, and the change in direction is instantly, unlike when you are backing.

Regards, John McGraw
front mounted hitch? Got a photo? never heard of that before.....

Do you know how much your trailer weighs empty?

Herb
Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

An electric brake is a MUST! A hitch with sway bars is a Must! Do not just hitch the trailer to the truck with a typical ball hitch. Below is a picture of the type of hitch I use and will only use. Also a full frame trailer is ideal. If you have a roll cage inside the trailer that is very nice also. (I also listed a picture of the inside of my trailer.)

*On a different note. Make sure you have an warranty and extended warranty on the truck. Last night I picked up my trailer from storage and was driving home (all highway driving). All of a sudden out of no where the check engine light comes on, the stablitrak light comes on, the traction control light comes on, the emissions light came on etc. The truck is not starting properly, not idling at all, burning rich, and really a mess. We'll I got home and this morning I had the truck flat bedded to the dealership. They connected it to their computer... did a compression test. The truck was running on 6 cylinders .

Here's the catch. The truck is a 2008 Yukon Denali, 8 months old, 14K miles and never missed a service. Thank GOD for my warranty. (And yes the truck is always in trailer mode when hauling)
Old 12-01-2007, 01:07 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
Generally speaking, that's a trailer hitch at your front bumper. Allows you to pull the front of your truck to the trailer, hitch it up, and stick the truck in drive and "back" the trailer up by simply driving forward.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:24 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Herb. IMO a 1/2 ton truck is to light for towing a large enclosed trailer. I know many are going to say I'm wrong. But. I'v been towing since 1983. I don't mean trailers I mean wreckers. I can't tell you how many light trucks I'v had to recover that lost it with trailers bigger than the truck could handle in a panic. Sure you can tow that trailer with a car if you want to. But try to stop or sway out the way of something. That trailer will push that truck like nothing. Just this summer. I had to recover a Tahoe pulling a race car in a enclosed trailer. He had the sway bars and all the stuff made to compensate for the right size truck. Well on a nice dry road he came up on traffic from another accident and could not stop in time. Once those trailer brakes locked up he was all done. All over the road and over the guardrails he went. When I got there the first thing the trooper said was. here we are again. Another truck to light for the load. Long story short. He was only banged up alittle. But the truck, trailer and car inside was junk. You need atleast a 3/4 ton long wheel base truck, crew cab would be nice.. I use a 03 chevy dulley crew cab to tow my trailer. You don't even know it's back there. If you can buy the toys to put in the trailer. Then you should be able to buy a truck that can do the job. Safety should be first. If you can't afford a better truck then sell one car. You don't want to watch a guy like me pulling your wrecked Corvette out of the mess you just made. Just my 2 cents. Brian G.

Last edited by aworks; 12-01-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Another must-have for me, is a front mounted hitch as well. It makes backing the trailer through the gate into my backyard a snap! You can see where you are backing without having to rely on mirrors, and the change in direction is instantly, unlike when you are backing. Regards, John McGraw
Cool idea! Had not thought about putting a hitch on the front of the truck, but I did put a hitch on the front of my Kubota lawn tractor so I can move the trailer easily in and out of it's storage area.
Charles
Old 12-01-2007, 08:43 AM
TopLess62
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
Herb. IMO a 1/2 ton truck is to light for towing a large enclosed trailer. I know many are going to say I'm wrong. But. I'v been towing since 1983. I don't mean trailers I mean wreckers. I can't tell you how many light trucks I'v had to recover that lost it with trailers bigger than the truck could handle in a panic. Sure you can tow that trailer with a car if you want to. But try to stop or sway out the way of something. That trailer will push that truck like nothing. Just this summer. I had to recover a Tahoe pulling a race car in a enclosed trailer. He had the sway bars and all the stuff made to compensate for the right size truck. Well on a nice dry road he came up on traffic from another accident and could not stop in time. Once those trailer brakes locked up he was all done. All over the road and over the guardrails he went. When I got there the first thing the trooper said was. here we are again. Another truck to light for the load. Long story short. He was only banged up a little. But the truck, trailer and car inside was junk. You need atleast a 3/4 ton long wheel base truck, crew cab would be nice.. I use a 03 chevy dulley crew cab to tow my trailer. You don't even know it's back there. If you can buy the toys to put in the trailer. Then you should be able to buy a truck that can do the job. Safety should be first. If you can't afford a better truck then sell one car. You don't want to watch a guy like me pulling your wrecked Corvette out of the mess you just made. Just my 2 cents. Brian G.
For the most part, you are 100% correct but there is a lot to be said for experience.

I have been pulling trailers for about 20 years - all the way to 44 foot 5th wheels behind dually crew cabs which translates into a rig just as long as a semi and i have pulled them through mountains and blizzards. Knock on wood - no accidents.

It may be best to practice with your rig for a bit in a safe place before you put your high $$ toys in it and get out on the open road. With practice, you can back your rig up with out a front hitch and put it where ever you want it.

Certainly, pulling a 10,000 lb rig behind a Toyota is not smart in my book but you should be able to pull a 2500 lb trailer with a 3000 lb car or even more weight behind your Yukon or Avalanche with no trouble provided you are capable of doing it.

Just practice and be smart and maintain your equipment and you will be fine.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:24 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Herb,

Regards, John McGraw
Great advice.......

I tow my 20' enclosed trailer behind a new Ford supercrew 150 4X4, the hitch, anti sway and load leveler make the package tow excellent. Alot of these new 1/2 ton trucks with larger brakes, better suspensions and stronger power trains are equipped better to tow than previous 3/4 ton models. As previously mentioned, consider the size load you intend on pulling and have the right size truck for the job, don't use a truck with a 7000 rating to pull a 6990 load. Common sense driving will be your best safety device.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:09 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Spend the extra money for higher-capacity axles and tires - most "standard" axles on an enclosed trailer are beyond their rating with a 3500# car in the trailer. By the time you add some parts, tools, compressor, generator, winch, etc., you're way over. A good winch is a necessity. I like the E-Track tie-down system - it's adjustable to optimize the tie-downs for whatever size/configuration of car you're going to tow.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:06 PM
shooter1951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for an enclosed trailer for my Corvettes. I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche.

How much trailer can I really pull with the truck?

The Corvettes that I would pull are about 3000 pounds and there would be one other car that might be as much as 3500 pounds. I have an aluminum open trailer now that weighs only 1000 pounds and with the car on it is no big deal.

The trailers look to be between 3000 and 4000 pounds empty.

I don't really want to buy another truck, the one i have is paid for.

Things to look for? Consider? Advice? Help?

thanks, Herb
Herb,

I have a 2004 Avalache also and a 24" enclosed Haulmark. IT IS TOO MUCH TRAILER FOR THE AVALANCHE!! I DIDN'T think BEFORE I bought the trailer about if the Avalanche would handle it. What a DUMB***!! Now I use the trailer very little.

Anyway most of the suggestions about a 20' trailer are right on. I have the sway bars, leveling bar and electic brakes which are as important as anything on the trailer. Good luck on finding what is best. Try to get a test run before you buy if you can.

Shooter
Old 12-01-2007, 12:54 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an '02 Escalade (6 litre) engine with automatic load leveling built in. I tow a 30' trailer (6000+ pounds) and I don't even know it's back there. I will get the Caddy set up for electric brakes though, that's a must. Your Avalanch will be fine IMO, just make sure you can level your truck.... and get trailer brakes hooked up.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 PM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

One of the lightest enclosed is Trailex at about 2400 lbs...pricey, though.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:21 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Herb,

The June and July, 2006 issues of Corvette Fever have a two part series with suggestions for buying a trailer and towing. If you don't have those issues just send me an e-mail and I'll send you the articles.

Rich
Old 12-01-2007, 01:34 PM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 04 Yukon xl 2500 8.1 supercharged pulls great. You forget you have a trailer sometimes. Does not need sway bars on this rig. Oh I highly recommend adjustable hitch from http://www.hitchsolutions.com/. Not only does itwork great, it looks kool too.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:41 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

ok...got to ask a real silly question....but load leveling? What is it and how is it accomplished?

Get notified of new replies

To Enclosed trailer for Corvette, need some advice and help

Old 12-01-2007, 03:21 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

ok...got to ask a real silly question....but load leveling? What is it and how is it accomplished?
It distributes the weight from the front of your trailer at the hitch and transfers it over the length of the tow vehicle rather than just on the rear wheels.

Rich
Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Herb,

Regards, John McGraw
I use a Tekonsha Prodigy in conjunction with my Escalade ESV and my 24ft trailer and it is by far the best of all the controllers I have used. I think he will be alright on wheelbase with the Avalanche as it's wheelbase is the same as mine (Suburban chassis). I think the 5.3L V8 is just ok. I had a Tahoe prior to the Caddy and while the Tahoe would tow my 24footer with no problems on the straight, it was a different story going up interstate hills. The Tahoe would struggle a bit and the fuel mileage suffered not to mention the short wheelbase was a tough ride. So I upgraded to the Caddy ESV which has a 6.0L engine and it tows without a problem.
The 20footer with the Avalanche should be no problem.
The front hitch idea is a good one John as it would make parking my trailer a snap.

Regards and

Fred

Last edited by vettefred; 12-01-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Do you know how much your trailer weighs empty?

Herb
Herb,

My trailer weighs 3000# empty. You will find almost every hitch maker makes a front mounted hitch for your Avalanche. It is a bolt-on reciever just like the rear and it accepts the same drawbar and ball that the rear reciever uses. Just pull the pin, and move the drawbar to the front, and you are ready to go! you have to trim a little on the plastic air dam where the reciever comes through, but it is an easy install.

If you are not using a reciever hitch, do not even consider pulling an enclosed trailer without one. You should never tow any trailer of this size on a bumper mounted ball. You should use a class IV reciever and weight distribution hitch. The weight distribution hitch will transfer weight from the rear tires of the vehicle to the front tires, and avoid the "rear sag" syndrome. They use big, heavy spring bars that are pre-loaded to accomplish this. Do a search on distribution hitches or load leveling htches to see them and how they work. You want lots of tounge weight to make the trailer tow well, but you don't want all theis weight sitting on the rear of your tow vehicle. The weight distribution hitch will move as much of this weight as you desire to the front of the truck.

Regards, John McGraw

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer for Corvette, need some advice and help