C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Crank shaft pulley info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 AM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!
Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Crank shaft pulley info needed

A friend has a C2 with no power steering or AC - just an alternator. He noticed a wobble in the crankshaft pulley and removed it. It appears that Bubba used a flat one grove pulley with 5 washers between the pulley and the balancer to put the belt in the same plane as the water pump and the alternator.

We need to get rid of the washers and replace the flat pulley with a correct pulley.

Anyone know what the correct pulley part number or application is? Can a generic pulley from Jegs do the trick and if so what should the application be?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Small block? Or big block?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by SILENT BOB
Can a generic pulley from Jegs do the trick and if so what should the application be?

Thanks
No, a generic pulley won't work - that's what the last guy did. All the usual vendors (LICS, Paragon, CC, etc.) have the correct pulley - call or check their catalogs or websites with your specific application (year, engine size, horsepower, options) and they'll have the one you want (assuming you have the correct water pump, pulley, alternator mount and pulley, etc.).

Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 AM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!
Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

The pulley is for a small block.

John - thanks for the info on generic application part.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Cj_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately... this actually happened to me this year... and, at Hot August Nights...

Went around to the car parts stores, and engine builders in the area, who laughed when they saw the bubba'd pully... (was a dual split, cant believe I missed it) no one had a single harmonic balancer pulley, somewhat rare.

Turned out that Summit Racing had a shiny chrome one... it mostly fits, good enough to get through the show. I need to find the proper one this winter.

Cj

Last edited by Cj_; 12-01-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Crank shaft pulley info needed

Quick Reply: Crank shaft pulley info needed