C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Seat Track Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default 64 Seat Track Problem

The driver seat is loose it rocks up and down. I took the seat out of the car, but can't seem to find where to tighten it. It seems like the play is in the jaws part of the track. Any ideas???
Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It's been a few years since I had the seats out of any of my cars, but I never saw anything that lets you adjust them other than the back rest portion. The tracks slide into one another with minimal clearence and a lever dogs against one side to lock the seat bottom. You might want to check your floor pan to see if it cracked or damaged in any way causing the entire pan to flex. Someone else here on the forum may have an additional thought. Dennis
Old 12-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

With the seat bolted in place it has up and down play. It is in the track itself. On the 68-82 cars the tracks bolt onto the seat frame. The tracks on this 64 have to be held on somehow?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:17 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went out to the shop with a flashlight and rechecked the rails on my 64 seats. They are interlocking with just about zero play. But if the hold down bolts are loose as mentioned above, then maybe there's a lot of rocking motion.

Also, get somebody to sit in the seat and then look underneath with a flashlight and see if you can figure out what's loose.

good luck
Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

This is a little difficult to describe without pictures but I'll give it a try. Remove the seats from the car. Turn the seats over and disconnect the cable and springs that operate the latching mechanism. There are two "angle brackets" toward the front of the seat track. Remove the two screws and remove the bracket (2). This bracket keeps the two seat tracks pieces from separating when you slide back and forth. There are also a couple of small retainer clips that can be removed with a screw driver. Once the bracket is removed you can separate the moving part of the track from the stationary part of the track. With years of no lubrication they will be stubborn but they will eventually pull apart. When you pull the tracks apart, two small springs will fall out. These springs are the sources of the rocking problem. The springs are similar in size to the springs in a ball point pen. They are rolled around the tubes that the seats ride on. They act like bearings and also center the two track pieces inside one another. Over time, without lubrication, the springs break or flatten out causing the seat to rock back and forth. I replaced the springs with similar sized springs from Ace Hardware. A helper will make it easier to reinstall the springs since they tend to want to go flying when you try to reassemble the seat tracks.

Like I said, this is harder to explain than it is to do. Don't forget to lube the seat tracks. It's cheap to fix but it does take a couple hours. Good luck. Jim
Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jprop
This is a little difficult to describe without pictures but I'll give it a try. Remove the seats from the car. Turn the seats over and disconnect the cable and springs that operate the latching mechanism. There are two "angle brackets" toward the front of the seat track. Remove the two screws and remove the bracket (2). This bracket keeps the two seat tracks pieces from separating when you slide back and forth. There are also a couple of small retainer clips that can be removed with a screw driver. Once the bracket is removed you can separate the moving part of the track from the stationary part of the track. With years of no lubrication they will be stubborn but they will eventually pull apart. When you pull the tracks apart, two small springs will fall out. These springs are the sources of the rocking problem. The springs are similar in size to the springs in a ball point pen. They are rolled around the tubes that the seats ride on. They act like bearings and also center the two track pieces inside one another. Over time, without lubrication, the springs break or flatten out causing the seat to rock back and forth. I replaced the springs with similar sized springs from Ace Hardware. A helper will make it easier to reinstall the springs since they tend to want to go flying when you try to reassemble the seat tracks.

Like I said, this is harder to explain than it is to do. Don't forget to lube the seat tracks. It's cheap to fix but it does take a couple hours. Good luck. Jim
First time I've seen this explained. I've got the same problem with my '64 driver side seat. Great directions on the fix! I"ll put it on the to-do list. Thanks jprop!!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM
cramus
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Same problem with my 64

Originally Posted by dkleather
First time I've seen this explained. I've got the same problem with my '64 driver side seat. Great directions on the fix! I"ll put it on the to-do list. Thanks jprop!!
I'll be giving this a try in the spring when it comes out of storage
Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richbopp

Also, get somebody to sit in the seat and then look underneath with a flashlight and see if you can figure out what's loose.

good luck
Probably ought to consider doing this out of public view, or if in a location where you can be seen, with a female in the seat.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:38 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you get around to this, please take some pictures and post if possible.

I too have the same 64 seat problem/issue....

Thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 03:48 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I have an old,old tech article on rebuilding these Corvette seats. It covers the tracks in good detail.
If you give me a fax # I could fax the article to you.
If someone has the ability to enhance/restore this article and post, give me a fax #. It is a copy of a two part March/April 83 Super Chevy article.
brgds
rene
Old 12-06-2007, 04:12 PM
MAGRED02
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 64 corvette seat rocking

I did the same thing Jim from Ohio was explaining. It is realitively simple and you can handle the springs yourself by gently inserting the tracks back in and holding the spring wrapped in place. I used white lithium grease and sprayed in all inside the tube. No more rocking. my springs were shot. Good Luck.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:30 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, so I sit in the seat and sure enough I can rock it back and forth, kind of. There IS play in the up and down motion.

I've had the seat all the way back for so long I don't think I ever really noticed it, but now I do. And besides, with my fat a$$ in the seat there's little movement of any kind - other than down!

So I too will be getting some springs ...... Ace hardware guys beware, the C2 boys will be buying up all your springs.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Seat Track Problem

Quick Reply: 64 Seat Track Problem