C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

License plate repaint

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:16 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default License plate repaint

Trying to find a process for repainting the yellow letters on a black plate Calif license plate - I've tried using a sponge roller and a low nap roller with no success - anyone have a process that works?

Bob
Old 12-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Spray the yellow on the plate. Letter color
Spray the black over the yellow. Background color
Use a rag around your finger, and rub the letters out with compound.
Here's a pair of 65 Texas plated I did;
Old 12-18-2007, 05:53 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you will drive around with it, make sure your state doesn't prohibit painting plates - like NY does.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't find anything in the CA vehicle code that would preclude restoration of an existing registered license plate, provided it "was not altered from it's original markings" - does the NY law preclude restoration of a plate, if it is restored to it's original colors and finishes?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:27 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

TOM/99 - Clever idea - what types/brands of paint did you use - oil or water based? Do you rub off the second coat while it's still somewhat tacky or did you let it dry?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a great job ! I'm also interested in the black paint you used and what yellow paint bobbeh will wind up using.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm thinking that yellow engine enamel might work for the lettering - let it dry - maybe even bake it before shooting the black top coat. That might make it easier to remove the black paint from the letters.
The yellow engine enamel is reasonably close to the yellow lettering on CA plates - although it's hard to tell after 41 years what the original color was.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I restored a motorcycle plate a couple of years ago, spray painted the base color first. Then, for the numbers and other raised letters, I did much as the original plate was done, I suspect. I made a pad of 3-4 layers of an old "T" shirt stretched over a small 1x4 board, topped off with a layer of old panty hose (keeps the fibers/hairs down from the cotton "T" shirt. Apply paint to the pad being careful to fully saturate but not overly soak it with paint. Then, carefully "pad" the raised letters on your license plate, done properly they'll come out looking just as they were originally applied.

Sorry I don't have a picture readily available, but it really looks quite nice.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:14 PM
midnight1957
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting plates

I was at a car show some time back and a guy was selling plastic plates that he made on the spot. He had blank plates from all states. He would custom make anything you wanted on a plate. I watched him for a while.
After he made the custom plate, the letters were the same color as the back ground. Then he would take what looked like a small hard ( looked like wood) roller similar to a paint roller only about 2 inches wide. He them would put some paint on a paper and roll it out thin, them go over the letters, because he rolled it out thin first there were no runs. He went over them several times and they looked perfect.
I asked him where he got his roller, he said it was not called a roller but a brayer (check spelling) and said that you can get them from a hobby store or a craft store.
I have an old chest type Coke box with the embossed letters and I am going to restore it using this method.
Hope this will help a little.
Thanks and Have a Blessed day,
Wade
Old 12-19-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bobbeh
I can't find anything in the CA vehicle code that would preclude restoration of an existing registered license plate, provided it "was not altered from it's original markings" - does the NY law preclude restoration of a plate, if it is restored to it's original colors and finishes?
Some states mandate that YOM plates be original and unrestored. Stupid, if you ask me, but each state makes its own rules.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbeh
TOM/99 - Clever idea - what types/brands of paint did you use - oil or water based? Do you rub off the second coat while it's still somewhat tacky or did you let it dry?
I use acrylic lacquer for both colors. I wait a couple days between colors. After the second color is applied, I give it a week to dry before rubbing the text out.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California

I read somewhere, and I am still looking, that the plates in CA need to have reflective paint. Not sure if that applies to newer or all, but the DMV has a pamphlet on all the plates etc.

Little cool here in the desert, but still "No bad days"

Rich
Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Some states mandate that YOM plates be original and unrestored. Stupid, if you ask me, but each state makes its own rules.
Yep, Florida has this rule, and you MUST send your plate in for it to be certified and registered to your vehicle.

I got lucky, and found a 62 Florida plate that looked brand new off Ebay for a very reasonable price.

Plasticman
Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM
olds120
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a new blackboard eraser. dip it in the paint, clean off the excess and place it on the numbers and letters. If you dont press too hard it will only make contact with the high spots and does a good job
Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by richbopp
I read somewhere, and I am still looking, that the plates in CA need to have reflective paint. Not sure if that applies to newer or all, but the DMV has a pamphlet on all the plates etc.

Little cool here in the desert, but still "No bad days"

Rich
You are right, but these plates are original black plates with yellow letters which are not reflective -
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by olds120
I use a new blackboard eraser. dip it in the paint, clean off the excess and place it on the numbers and letters. If you dont press too hard it will only make contact with the high spots and does a good job
Sounds like another good method of reproducing the original "look" to the plate.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

I asked at the tag office here in GA this Sept. They said, "Just find an original and put it on. Keep the current one in the car with you." 1965 GA are white/blue letters. My car is from NC and 1965 were black/yellow letters. I love black plates and have been tempted to paint my '65 GA plate. What cop is going to know the original colors anyway....?

Get notified of new replies

To License plate repaint

Old 12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
MAGRED02
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default restoring plates

I have restored several plates. I live in NY and they don't allow it, but they passed ok. On black plates with yellow letters I spray the plate satin black first. Then I trim down a foam brush to letter width size and use a close yellow (schoolbus yellow works for me) and carefully paint the face of the letters and wipe any runs. then I go around the raised boarder the same way. the enamel smooths out as it drys. After it/they dry I spray the plate(s) with satin clear to dull them down. I have never been stopped by the police because of the painted plates. Most of the plates are older than the cops anyway.
Good Luck
Old 12-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

A friendly tip with YOM plates - make sure the numbers are clear before spending too much time/money restoring your plates (if you're allowed to restore, that is). I have a MO 1930 truck plate for my dad's AA...but the number is currently assigned to a motorcycle. No luck so far convincing the DMV that a motorcycle with a small, modern aluminum plate will not be mistaken for an ancient truck with a large steel plate that says "30."
Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 PM
0Virginia Vettes
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midnight1957
I was at a car show some time back and a guy was selling plastic plates that he made on the spot. He had blank plates from all states. He would custom make anything you wanted on a plate. I watched him for a while.
After he made the custom plate, the letters were the same color as the back ground. Then he would take what looked like a small hard ( looked like wood) roller similar to a paint roller only about 2 inches wide. He them would put some paint on a paper and roll it out thin, them go over the letters, because he rolled it out thin first there were no runs. He went over them several times and they looked perfect.
I asked him where he got his roller, he said it was not called a roller but a brayer (check spelling) and said that you can get them from a hobby store or a craft store.
I have an old chest type Coke box with the embossed letters and I am going to restore it using this method.
Hope this will help a little.
Thanks and Have a Blessed day,
Wade
I have bought such a roller. It is a hard rubber roller called a "Brayer" It is product # 70 made by Hunt Manufacturing Co. in Statesville NC It is 1 1/2" wide and has a roller handle with a hard roller that is rolled through paint that we spread out on magazine pages or phone book pages. It looks like a wall paper edge roller that is made from wood instead of rubber.This is a perfect tool to do the edges around center consoles, dash indicators, grill edges, any where you want to stay out of the wipe/tape business and need a small crisp edge. We have done Coke machines and 7-UP cooler boxes with perfect results.
When you are done you wipe off the roller with a rag/thinner and it is ready for the next job. We do not sell them but you can contact the mfg.
Dick
Virginia Vettes

Quick Reply: License plate repaint