C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wiring Harness Connector Pins

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Kelley
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts
AL Events Coordinator

Default Wiring Harness Connector Pins

I am removing three pins from the interior side of the firewall wiring harness on my '66 to install new wires (the old ones have been clipped right at the pin and there is nothing to splice a new wire to). I got the pins out of the connector and I got the old wire out of the pin by carefully unfolding the pin but I am afraid the 42 year old pin will not withstand a second crimping. Does anyone know where I can buy replacement pins for this connector? They are not like anything I have seen before.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a pin that wouldn't work (big red wire) and I just hard wired it. Been fine for 5 years now. You could get an old harness and take a pin out I suppose. I've got an old one here somewhere.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Kelley
Racer

AL Events Coordinator

I have an old harness also and I have already robbed one pin out of it because I broke one of the three I need trying to pry it apart. Problem is they are 42 years old also. By the way, the big red wire is one of the three I need to replace. By ‘hard wire’ do you mean that you took the bare wire and pushed it into the connector block?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:21 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm guessing, but I think he means that he removed the pins from both sides of the connector block (male and female) and ran a solid, insulated wire through the hole so he has a one-piece wire running from the ignition switch to the starter. You could contact one of the companies that makes new harnesses, Lectric Limited or M&H, and see if they'll sell you a few of those connector pins.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:43 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Try Eagle Wire Products (Spencer) at 800-977-0030.

DZ
Old 12-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LB66383
I'm guessing, but I think he means that he removed the pins from both sides of the connector block (male and female) and ran a solid, insulated wire through the hole so he has a one-piece wire running from the ignition switch to the starter. You could contact one of the companies that makes new harnesses, Lectric Limited or M&H, and see if they'll sell you a few of those connector pins.
Neither Lectric Limited or M&H will sell individual components for their harnesses. Eagle Wire Products in Knoxville, Tenn. has a limited amount of components that they will sell. (800) 977 0030
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want to get around the big red wire without cutting into your harness, check out the 50 amp cabin supply diagram and pic near the bottom of this web page: http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/magicmachine

If you want me to cut a connector out of my old engine harness and mail it to you, PM me your street address.

I will tell you that even the battery cabin supply connector (for the big red wire) in the repop harness I bought turned black in short order. That's why I created the workaround cabin supply line with a 50amp circuit breaker.

PS I found the 50 amp Anderson connector and the GM style lugs and plastic connectors with a web search. You can delete the extra circuit breaker and pump/stereo relay and connections. If you do, just connect the 8awg supply to the ignition switch connector and the dash harness by pulling the red dash harness line from the ignition switch connector. At that point, your damaged bulkhead connector red wire is redundant.

Last edited by magicv8; 12-21-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Joe Lucia told me that these hair pin clips have been discontinued by GM since 1983. The repro guys must have their own made up and they will not sell parts, I've tried as well. If you need a couple new pins feel free to contact me.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Eagle Wire products is now under Spencer Rose in Springfield Ohio. 5095 West National Road. Found his recent card.

800-977-0030
Old 12-21-2007, 04:15 PM
undee70ss
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelley
I got the pins out of the connector and I got the old wire out of the pin by carefully unfolding the pin but I am afraid the 42 year old pin will not withstand a second crimping. Does anyone know where I can buy replacement pins for this connector? They are not like anything I have seen before.
My first post here....

The terminal you are looking for is called a "Twin Lock" series of terminal. It has no gender, since it mates with itself. The 66 and 67 bulkhead connectors are the same. The problem will be getting the twinlock terminals out of the old bulkhead without damaging them. Twinlock terminals have 2 locking tangs that must be depressed before you can pull the terminal out of the bulkhead. The best tool to use to push down the tangs is a small jewellers flathead screwdriver that is about .050" or smaller. Once the tangs are pressed down, the terminal should come out freely. You must also lift the tangs back up before you plug the terminal into the new bulkhead, so that they look like the picture in the post.

The original part numbers for the terminals are:
02973915 18-20 Gage
02973916 14-16 Gage
02973917 12 Gage

I do not know of any reliable source for these since they have been discontinued by the OEM (Packard Electric, which is now Delphi) many yrs ago. Someone else must still be making them as the harness manufactures can still get them. Here is a original drawing from Delphi

http://connectors2.delphi.com/dcsgdm...01_S01.tif.pdf
Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 AM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

undee70ss

Welcome and nice first post! Embedded pic with a PDF to boot. Got it saved in my wiring folder. Good info on the connector pins for the bulkhead connectors.

You might want to give us some profile info so that you don't get that gentle nudge (oops I guess that was it) that many folks do. Folks tend to like to know where people are from.

Thanks for the info and once again, welcome to the Forum!

DZ
Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Just an idea:

I got the pins out of the connector and I got the old wire out of the pin by carefully unfolding the pin but I am afraid the 42 year old pin will not withstand a second crimping.
May be worth trying to anneal (soften) them with a small butane torch to remove the work hardening. Look for a 'Pencil Torch' at your local hobby & craft store.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Kelley
Racer

AL Events Coordinator

Undee70ss

Wow!

Pretty impressive information. Original terminal name, original part number, original OEM vendor (and current name), original vendor drawing, and tips on how to unlock the used terminal. All on one of the most obscure subassembly parts I could imagine. What the heck is your background? Could you come to my house on weekends and help?

Thanks to all who responded to my plee for information on this. I would not have thought I would get this much information.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:10 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks to all who responded to my plee for information on this. I would not have thought I would get this much information.
This forum has been a beam of hope in a year of disappointments, the forum is definitely one thing I'm thankful for this year.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 AM
undee70ss
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Undee70ss

Wow!

Pretty impressive information. Original terminal name, original part number, original OEM vendor (and current name), original vendor drawing, and tips on how to unlock the used terminal. All on one of the most obscure subassembly parts I could imagine. What the heck is your background? Could you come to my house on weekends and help?

Printing actually, but have been working on classic GM's for over 25 yrs. All my buds look to me on electrical issues, and it is more or less my specialty. Glad to help.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Try Del-City or Waytek, look under terminals. Make sure you use the special crimp tool to crimp the insulation of the wire first, then the actual bare strain wire 2nd. onto the replacement terminal, after using the tool your repair/replacement will look factory...
Old 08-02-2014, 12:04 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, you replied to a 7 year old thread?

I doubt he's still looking for a solution.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring Harness Connector Pins

Old 08-02-2014, 01:50 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
Dude, you replied to a 7 year old thread?

I doubt he's still looking for a solution.
I posted a question July 31 re firewall connector and this 7 year old thread was referenced in one of the replies. I suspect he saw it there and responded.

Randy
Old 03-26-2019, 04:26 PM
as400jockey
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I found some!!

Having found the proper name of these connectors, eBay turned up one U.S. source for Twin Lock Connector . I bought two packs of 10. Another source in Australia, but says won't ship to US.

Google turned up another source in Australia. Maybe the same guy as the OZ seller on eBay...

https://bluewireautomotive.com/produ...lock-terminals
Old 03-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Letric Limited has sold them for years as part of a repair kit.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness Connector Pins