C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 Door Post Removal Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default '61 Door Post Removal Instructions

I need to remove my door posts for re-chroming. Does anyone have detailed instructions how to remove them. The AIM is not very clear. I already have the panels off. Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My memory is that they basically just unbolt. The only trick is that under the dog-leg weatherstrip, is hidden a bolt that may be covered up by painted medium-bodied sealer. This will be at the top of the fiberglass where the window post enters the door cavity, right where the main door weatherstrip and the top of the dog-leg weatherstrip meet.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
iveym5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a couple of pics of the hidden bolt that 62Jeff is referring to (weatherstrip has been removed). You just have to dig out the sealer with a screwdriver and some light hammer taps.

Also in the third pic is a downward going stud (yellow arrow) that has a small nut on it. It is accessed from inside the door and, if my memory serves me, it is on the outside of the window so the window must be removed (not sure about that).

Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Tinat
Racer

Default door removal?

I have a 1960 and have already taken the doors off but have not gotten the door latch bolt out of the body.......I hope I'm making any sense.
I need help removing this bolt on both sides. Anybody?????? The picture posted here I think is what I'm talking about, but I'm not clear on instructions
Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
iveym5
Instructor

I'm not sure what you mean by 'door latch bolt'. The pics in this post refer to removing the door post which is on the front end of the door where as the door latch is on the back end of the door. Can you clarify what you are trying to remove?

Get notified of new replies

To '61 Door Post Removal Instructions

Quick Reply: '61 Door Post Removal Instructions