C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Small block / big block radiator hose...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
decarmine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Small block / big block radiator hose...

I have a '66 that was originally a big block car. Had no power train when I bought it but does have what I believe to be a big block radiator -- I don't know if small block and big block radiators are the same.

In any event I just installed a GMPP small block (350 HO) crate motor and need to get (at least) a lower radiator hose. Is there a difference between BB/SB hose? If so, which would be a better choice?

Any advice?

TIA

Frank
Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

SB and BB radiators are different. If it has a cap and a filler spout, it's a BB radiator. If it has just a small tube on the top right, it's a SB radiator.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by decarmine
I have a '66 that was originally a big block car. Had no power train when I bought it but does have what I believe to be a big block radiator -- I don't know if small block and big block radiators are the same.
NO, the BB rad is brass with side tanks. The sb rad is aluminum with a fenderwell tank.

In any event I just installed a GMPP small block (350 HO) crate motor and need to get (at least) a lower radiator hose. Is there a difference between BB/SB hose?
YES, the sb hose is longer

If so, which would be a better choice?
SB

Any advice? Frank
If the rad end of the sb hose won't attach to the BB rad outlet, You may have to have the outlet of the brass BB rad rotated. Otherwise, cut the hose, put a tube in it and align the ends before clamping the tube.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
decarmine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, MagicV8.

Exactly the information I was looking for...

Frank

Get notified of new replies

To Small block / big block radiator hose...

Quick Reply: Small block / big block radiator hose...