C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Experience with offset trailing arms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Experience with offset trailing arms?

Anyone have any negative experience with offset trailing arms?

For the TAs now being sold, I'm especially concerned that the area where the spring bolt attaches is not boxed. The entire load appears to be cantilevered on a single weld!

It also looks like the parking brake cable is routed over the top of the TA. I know this is a common mod for the stock TAs, but it always looked like this brings the cable awfully close to the brake hose?

Thanks for any feedback...
Harry

(I am posting this to both the C-1/2 and C-3 forums)

Last edited by 66since71; 02-03-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Dick Guldstrand Enterprises in Culver City, Calif has sold them for more than 40 years. I have never heard of any problems iwth his parts. I have no experience with any of the newer vendors.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:05 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Dick Guldstrand Enterprises in Culver City, Calif has sold them for more than 40 years. I have never heard of any problems iwth his parts. I have no experience with any of the newer vendors.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have used a lot of Guldstrand parts over the years..good stuff. He is one of the few guys who really understands the kinds of motion that a C-2/3 suspension elements must track.

Dick's offset trailing arm used to be a modified OEM part, so it was fully "boxed" (and overlapping) at the spring attachment. That (the OEM design) is a good too, because it puts no welds in the "load path".

He does not have a photo of his current offering on the web site.. so I don't know if he has switched to the design that the other guys are now supplying??

I'll give them a call tomorrow morning...

Still would like feedback on the VBP and similar products..

Harry
Old 02-03-2008, 05:47 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Harry, one of my favorite articles for C2's if someone liked some modding was the "King Ray" series in Corvette Enthusisast. They used offset trailing arms on that car for the 17" wheels and tires. Pretty sure they used Van Steel Inc. units. Jerry Clark was the owner of that beautiful Corvette and he owns Jerry's Vette Service in FL. Might want to give him a try? His number is 352 666-9966. By the way, Jerry restores early corvettes for a living. Knowing Van Steel somewhat, I believe they could give you accurate information as well.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been some good points brought up in this thread about the differences in offset TA's.

Because I have been seriously considering them for rim width / traction purposes I was watching the VBP installation video........ in it they said that theirs would handle more HP than you would ever give it (words to that effect)

Maybe some more research is called for because it is not anything you would ever want to see fail nor would I want to have to repeat the install

Doug
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Tom Hewitt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jerry Clark

All- Unfortunately Jerry died several months ago so the phone is now Ultra Long Distance. Jerry was one of the "good guys" and always helpful.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
roger newman
Instructor

I have the Guldstrand arms. They are fully boxed. I used the sperical bushings in the nose.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by roger newman
I have the Guldstrand arms. They are fully boxed. I used the sperical bushings in the nose.
I went to the Guldstrand site but they did not show a picture..... besides that their way higher price seems to indicate more that just a TA by itself...... looking at their other stuff they are purely performance oriented

I see Duntov ones are a tad cheaper then VBP and now they are advertised to have the poly front bushings ..... however the price difference is moot...... since VBP is vendor maybe they will weigh in as to the strength of their unit....... not sure if the others are vendors here

How much more room did you get when it was all said and done?

I am thinking of adding 2 inches of back space to KO's and trying either M/T 245 or Nitto 255 DR's...... 235 TA DR's did not last at all ..... maybe 700 miles without any sidestepping

Being as mine must do more than look good I like the idea of a box design.

Doug
Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
roger newman
Instructor

I went with Guldstrand because I plan to track day my car. I wanted strength and the ease of adjustment. I went with their toe adustment screws that work perfect with the arms.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

I am not familiar with that adjustment screw....... looks pretty interesting though .

Looking at their products Guldstrand seems to be more serious about performance....

I see where their pinion snubber is HD like Toms is rather than a poly unit. With an aluminum one like the one they sell I do not get any wheel hop but with a poly one I do.

Thanks for the time you took with posting the pictures...... I think I will look into that toe adjustment along with the offset TA

Doug
Old 02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Jerry used Van Steel fabricated offset trailing arms on "King Ray" - photo below.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Looks to me like "Jerry" preferred his art work framed in fiberglass.

Doug
Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
blueray
Instructor

I just went with the Van Steel offset. I debated having my stock ones rebuilt but after doing WAY too much research decided to go that way. I expect quality on them is the same as VBP. I have used VBP for the majority of my suspension but wasn't real happy with the way some things went down with them recently.

overall i am very happy with the quality of the arms. I do not have them on the car yet. Still cutting the stock ones out. Seemed like from all of the reading I did Van Steel was a good choice.

I expect you'll get many more responses as well.

Bryan
Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Hewitt
All- Unfortunately Jerry died several months ago so the phone is now Ultra Long Distance. Jerry was one of the "good guys" and always helpful.
thank you Tom for communicating this Of course I did not know and appologize. I talked in length to Jerry at Corvette Carlisle while KingRay was on display in 2006. I really liked the concept of the car and he took the time and was a fine gentlemen. For the little time we shared I would agree 100% about "one of the good guys".
Thanks again Tom,
Chick
Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Great feedback and discussion. Thanks to everyone.

I'll be doing a complete rear end and rear suspension rebuild on my 66 in April and thought it would be the right time to put in the offset TA's for future wheel and tire upgrades. Now have a few decisions to make. Thanks again!

Harry
Old 02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

I don't know what direction or how far you plan to go but if high performance is your goal check out this guy before you commit

http://www.dragvette.com/

He is a good guy and he can get the most out of a C2 for either drag or autocross

Good luck and let us all know how it turns out

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Experience with offset trailing arms?

Quick Reply: Experience with offset trailing arms?