C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front Parking Lights Not Working On 1965

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
ADW1965
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Front Parking Lights Not Working On 1965

I recently removed the instrument cluster, replaced tach/speedo face, changed to 1817 bulbs, and replaced dash and headlight harnesses. I was thrilled to get rid of all the spiced/bare wires in the dash. All of a sudden, everything works perfectly (didn't know I had courtesy lights)... except one thing.

When I pull the headlight switch to the intermediate (parking lights only) position, the front parking lights and the tail lights illuminate. However, when I pull the switch to turn the headlights on, the front parking lights turn off. Everything else works fine. The dimmer/high-beam switch works fine (and front parking lights remain off). Anybody have any suggestion on how to fix this? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:03 PM
vetarun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how its suppost to work. Strange I know.... I have a 65 also. Same thing
Old 02-03-2008, 11:16 PM
ADW1965
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetarun
That's how its suppost to work. Strange I know.... I have a 65 also. Same thing
OK... well, that's embarrassing. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

No need to be embarresed...........you are not the only person who is unfamiliar with this. The parking lights are used when you are parked and wish that the front of your car is visible to others, but you are not moving so you don't need your headlights. No need to have the park lights on when you are driving. All cars back in that era had them set up that way, not just Corvettes.

Handy to have when you are broke down on the side of the road, or if your girlfriend decides to get passionate on the way home from your date and you both live with your parents.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 AM
ADW1965
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by buns
No need to be embarresed...........you are not the only person who is unfamiliar with this. The parking lights are used when you are parked and wish that the front of your car is visible to others, but you are not moving so you don't need your headlights. No need to have the park lights on when you are driving. All cars back in that era had them set up that way, not just Corvettes.

Handy to have when you are broke down on the side of the road, or if your girlfriend decides to get passionate on the way home from your date and you both live with your parents.

I just don't like to waste peoples' time on things I should have figured out on my own. By the way, your story has a suspicious amount of detail...
Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Believe it or not, back in the '60s and early '70s, some young females were positively hypnotized by C2s. If you drove one, you just had to go along with their obsession, darn it!

Watch Charlie Martin Smith picked up by Candy Clark in "American Graffiti". You'll get the idea.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 AM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few trhreads on how to modify the wiring to keep the parking lights on whan the headlights are on. Here is one - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=parking+ligh . I remember seeing others as well over the years. Good luck ! Tim
Old 02-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe that change came in 1968 along with the introduction of front and rear sidemarkers. My parking lamps are set up as daytime running lights (high-intensity filaments lit).

Last edited by Paul L; 02-04-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Parking Lights Not Working On 1965

Quick Reply: Front Parking Lights Not Working On 1965