C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Chevrolet Cheetah and Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:11 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

That is FRED YEAKEL'S Cheetah. He has owned it and raced it for many years. And it has a real FIA HTC certificate so it is qualified to race at any international Vintage Race event. Neat car, and a great piece of American Muscle car history.

Last edited by jimgessner; 02-21-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:16 AM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

sunday morning on Gearz on Velocity they had a profile of the Bill Thomas Cheetah. it was kind of cool, and talked to the Cheetah Evolution folks about making the current ones.
no new earth shattering info unveiled, and i'm sure that most of the info could be seen from watching a few youtube clips, but it was cool to see.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:11 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Disregard

Last edited by kellsdad; 03-07-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:51 PM
sahhas
Pro

hey had part 2 of the cheetah evolution build on gearz the other day.
the show's host decided to put in an LSX 454. my god that engine looked HUGE in the front end of the cheetah! and when he said it had 620HP, I was like: wow, that's a lot of power for not a very big car!!!!!
it was impressive, but I'm not sure I'd want to experience it!!! ok, I would like to experience it, but I wonder how scary would it be!!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

sahhas,
My Cobra replica weighs about 2,500 pounds and has a 408 ci engine built for high torque. Even with 315 tires on the back, I can break them loose in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear (any speed up to about 100 MPH) simply by pressing the gas pedal fully down. The back end will dance around as the positraction searches for grip. It was very scary the first time it happened to me and still is if I keep my foot in it too long. With experience I can now feel the tires start to break loose and feather the gas in time to keep it straight. .... There are many guys on the Cobra forum with engines far more powerful than mine. Very few of them can put all that power to the ground. And as youtube shows, more than a few novices have lost control while trying to accelerate hard. .... The bottom line is that most people would rather have too much power available than too little. It is exhilarating, but you really do need to go to a safe place, like a race track, to learn how to manage it.

I haven't decided what engine to put in my Cheetah build, but it will based on a small block Chevy to look period correct. It's tempting to look at the the big cube and boosted engines making 600+ HP, but I know this car will be lighter than my Cobra and I won't be able to use much more than 400 HP at the wheels. I find that big HP engines in street cars are mostly good for bragging rights with other guys who also don't take their cars to the track.
The following users liked this post:
jerry gollnick (02-21-2018)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:49 PM
sahhas
Pro

i know the cars are light, and was sort of wondering what kind of engine the gearz guy would put in his. I figured he'd put some 400HP engine in it, I know i heard some of the originals had some 500hp engines, and they just look like small cars compared to scale pics of people standing next to them. but when he says he's putting the 620hp 454 in it, i was like: WOW. that is quite an engine.

i guess i base all this on last fall i rode in an 85 vette that the guy had pulled the original L98 engine and put some 405 that was supped up to close to 600 hp. i mean this thing could launch -it felt like the rockin' roller coaster (aerosmith ride) at Disney. i mean i was scared. we would be driving down the street and he was burning rubber the whole time. the pull of that car...it was frightening, honestly! and of course I'm sitting here debating: i want this car (but knew my wife would hate it!, didn't get it). but I'm thinking the power of an engine like that and the cheetah is smaller/lighter than the '85...whew, that would be scary, but probably fun!!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 PM
cheetah66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheetahs at Road America

A couple of Cheetahs at the Hawk.
Attached Images       
Old 02-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Trabuco Fred
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cheetah at Dr George Car Show Indian Wells, CA

Fred Yeakel & Allen Grant with the Alan Green Chevrolet Cheetah that Allen Grand drove in 1964.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Bob's 64 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Hey Fred, Damn my brain remembers pictures of Bill Thomas's shop fire. I posted some up many years ago, but pulled them down! I lost a computer drive years ago and never rebuilt it! I still need to look, but in the mean time, I found two shots I had posted. I just can't find on the computer the others! I would have to dig thru magazines to find the source where I got them!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-21-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Trabuco Fred
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bill Thomas media/Hurst Performance Cheetah

The picture is of the Hurst Performance Bill Thomas Cheetah when it is being dug out of the cow s**t in a barn in Oklahoma. The owner at the time (early 1990s) had put it in a barn for storage. During the winter the cows broke down the plywood enclosure and there was body damage as well as manure all over the Cheetah.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Trabuco Fred
The picture is of the Hurst Performance Bill Thomas Cheetah when it is being dug out of the cow s**t in a barn in Oklahoma. The owner at the time (early 1990s) had put it in a barn for storage. During the winter the cows broke down the plywood enclosure and there was body damage as well as manure all over the Cheetah.
As you can tell, I have pictures! But I will keep looking and have an eye out for those other pictures I posted up previously! I communicated with Fred, that is think I remember a black and white in Autoweek/Competition Press and I think I got pictures out of a Sports Car mag, and I think it was an article in one of the English mags from Britian!

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Cheetah and Corvette