C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 circuit breaker- right way, wrong way ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 AM
pusher_sr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1966 circuit breaker- right way, wrong way ??

when hooking up a circuit breaker for the power windows/headlight buckets, is there a correct way of doing this? the reason i ask is that both the wires are RED but the terminals on the new circuit breaker are different lengths. thanks for the info. pusher
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Makes no difference which way it's connected.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:37 PM
pusher_sr
Instructor

thanks john. it's probably a dumb question, but i'm a bit curious though, as to why the terminals are different lengths?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by pusher_sr
thanks john. it's probably a dumb question, but i'm a bit curious though, as to why the terminals are different lengths?
Probably a replacement - the studs were the same length on the original breaker.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:51 PM
pusher_sr
Instructor

thanks john. well, that answers my thoughts on whether these circuit breakers were original or not. they ARE identical and were made by LITTELFUSE INC, DESPLAINES, USA. i imagine they were replaced at the same time. anyone have any idea the life span of these litte suckers? these look pretty old and i know the lady that owned the car before me, stopped driving it about 1995. pusher
Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
k-2
Advanced

I had the same question last week when I was installing the new main harness. On the face plate one side is marked "Aux" and the other side "Bat." I used the multimeter and checked the wires to match the "aux" side to the lead going to the headlight motor switch. The other side goes out through the right bulkhead connector into the main engine harness and ultimately to the battery.

However, as John stated it really should make no difference since the purpose of the CB is to connect these two feeds until such a time as something goes wrong. In which case it should work regardless of orientation of the two wires.

Last edited by k-2; 03-01-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: addition

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 circuit breaker- right way, wrong way ??

Quick Reply: 1966 circuit breaker- right way, wrong way ??