C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 block casting # 3737739 vs. 3756519

Old 08-05-2016, 04:22 PM
RodMortenson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have this right?

I have 1964 El Camino with a 283 engine and P/G tranny. When I bought the car, the seller said that the 283 was original. However, when I looked up the numbers, I found that not to be the case. The Engine ID# is F923D and Block Casting# is 3756519. I think (???) that means that it is a 283 2 bolt main manufactured in Flint Michigan in 1958 or 1960 to be mated (originally) to a Powerglide. From this forum, I'm led to believe that this would be a correct engine for a 59 Vette. It is a strong running engine but I have purchased a "correct" engine for the El Camino and plan to sell this engine. I want to be sure that the engine really would be correct for a 59 Vette because I don't want to mislead anyone. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by RodMortenson
I have 1964 El Camino with a 283 engine and P/G tranny. When I bought the car, the seller said that the 283 was original. However, when I looked up the numbers, I found that not to be the case. The Engine ID# is F923D and Block Casting# is 3756519. I think (???) that means that it is a 283 2 bolt main manufactured in Flint Michigan in 1958 or 1960 to be mated (originally) to a Powerglide. From this forum, I'm led to believe that this would be a correct engine for a 59 Vette. It is a strong running engine but I have purchased a "correct" engine for the El Camino and plan to sell this engine. I want to be sure that the engine really would be correct for a 59 Vette because I don't want to mislead anyone. Thanks in advance for your help.
That engine would only appear to be a Corvette engine if it had a 2-letter suffix code (DG or DJ) and the block casting date made sense with the car.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:44 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Hi Rod. Even though your engine is from a passenger car, being a Flint block it still could have some desirability to a Corvette guy looking to build a "correct" motor with the right dates on it. You would need to look at the casting number behind the RH head on the top of the block to determine what year engine you have there (will look like: 6 20 9, or whatever, for month, day, and year). The 519 block was used from '58-'61, so you'd want to know when the block was produced. I kind of have the same situation with a 739 Flint block from a '58 passenger car that I will put up for sale when I get the time to clean it up and check the bores.

Rich
Old 08-06-2016, 02:21 PM
RodMortenson
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MidShark
Hi Rod. Even though your engine is from a passenger car, being a Flint block it still could have some desirability to a Corvette guy looking to build a "correct" motor with the right dates on it. You would need to look at the casting number behind the RH head on the top of the block to determine what year engine you have there (will look like: 6 20 9, or whatever, for month, day, and year). The 519 block was used from '58-'61, so you'd want to know when the block was produced. I kind of have the same situation with a 739 Flint block from a '58 passenger car that I will put up for sale when I get the time to clean it up and check the bores.

Rich
Thanks so much Rich. I found the casting date at the rear of the block. It is I219 which I think translates to Sept 21, 1959 (according to NastyZ28.com) That seems like it would make sense since the Engine Code is F923D. If I am understanding correctly, that means that the block was cast 9/21/59 and the engine was built 9/23/59. Also the "D" suffix on the Engine ID (I think) means that the engine was either a '58 or a '60 (again, according to NastyZ28) All that being the case, it would seem to me that the engine would be correct for a '60 rather than a '59. Lots to learn but it looks like I've found a helpful site to learn from. Maybe the best thing for me to do is to advertise the engine with the numbers and let potential buyers decide if it would be correct for their car. Most of them would probably know more about this numbers thing than I do anyhow. Even though I intensely dislike ebay I will probably advertise it there just because I don't have a clue what it might be worth. Again, thanks a bunch for your help!!
Old 08-06-2016, 09:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

With that block casting date, engine assembly date, and single-digit "D" suffix code, that engine was originally a 2-barrel 283/170hp with Powerglide, installed in a full-size passenger car.
The following users liked this post:
Rumblegutz (08-09-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:03 PM
RodMortenson
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That engine would only appear to be a Corvette engine if it had a 2-letter suffix code (DG or DJ) and the block casting date made sense with the car.
Thank you, John. Can't believe how helpful folks are on this forum. As I'm sure you can tell from my post, there is much about this stuff that I don't know. As I told Rich (who was also very helpful) I think that I will just advertise the engine with the numbers and not speculate what it might be "correct" for. I'm pretty sure that folks who are looking for an engine for their specific application probably know a lot more about the whole numbers thing than I do anyhow. As much as I dislike ebay, I think I'll just list it there and see what it will bring. The good news is that it is a good strong running engine that will be "correct" for some restoration, even if its not a Corvette. Thanks again for your help!
Old 08-09-2016, 03:14 PM
RodMortenson
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JohnZ
With that block casting date, engine assembly date, and single-digit "D" suffix code, that engine was originally a 2-barrel 283/170hp with Powerglide, installed in a full-size passenger car.
John. Thanks so much for getting me pointed in the right direction. Jesus said (though in a much different context) that the truth sets us free. In this case, it has set me free from unreasonable expectations and from the possibility of unwittingly leading a potential buyer astray. Thanks again. I really appreciate your help!
Old 08-09-2016, 03:32 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

John, unless there were some motors that retained rope seals forever (for some unknown reason), wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that 739s (With) and 519s (W/O) would not be manufactured alongside each other in the same plant?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
John, unless there were some motors that retained rope seals forever (for some unknown reason), wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that 739s (With) and 519s (W/O) would not be manufactured alongside each other in the same plant?
When the last 739 block and cap cleared that rear seal finish-machining station on the block transfer line, that was the END for the "rope seal", as that station was rebuilt/replaced by a new station to machine the block and cap for the new 2-piece polymer seal. Come Monday morning, that transfer machining station had to run flawlessly at 200+ per hour (Machining ran 3 shifts at 200 per hour, Assembly ran 2 shifts at 300 per hour). There was only one block machining line.
The following users liked this post:
Rumblegutz (08-10-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 59 block casting # 3737739 vs. 3756519