C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My 62 story....how I got it last year (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:43 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Default My 62 story....how I got it last year (long)

Ok, here goes.....

Last year I decided to get a project. I searched the country and found a add for a NOM 62. It was about 35 mins away in Rockledge Fl(east central area). Talked to the owner, who just bought it a few weeks earlier from a guy who worked at NASA many years ago. He had it 35 years. The new owner was going to do a resto, but when he got it home and had his buddy look at it, he decided to resell. This guy was into Volvos, and owned several beauties, including a P1800. He was also really into model cars, as I was and still am. We spoke on the phone for quite some time about model cars and Volvos, and how I built a model Volvo P1800S long ago for a friend. We hit it off well.

We got to talk about the Corvette. He said the NASA guy that owned it had it since 72. He drove it often untill 1996 when he parked it. This car had been a daily driver since 72, along with a few other cars the guy had(55 tbird). It sat for 10 years but he drove it around the yard on occasion to keep it active. It spent 35 years outside under a carport or under oak trees. No garage. My PO had been driving by it for 20 years on the way to work every day, often stopping by for a chance to buy it. Last March the guy finally sold it to him.

He said the NASA guy told him the motor was replaced by a shop around the corner in 1978. I asked him to check the #'s on the block. I already knew the car vin#. When he called me back, he gave me the #'s. He had to clean off about 1/8" of grease off the pad. To my surprise, and his, they matched the car vin#! Appears the motor was not replaced in 78. Took a drive up the following morning with my son to check it out. The frame had a rusted rear crossmember and a few bad spots. We opened the hood, and sure enough, the pad #'s matched. Scraped the grease off the block cast# and it was real. Preceded the assy date by 3 days! Bingo......original motor! 327 250hp 4 speed manual.

We went back in the house and looked at his Volvos and model car collection. We spoke for a while and then concentrated on the Corvette. We came up with his $#, and my $# together, and split the difference. Called for the flatbed and brought it home later that day. The car runs and drives but not road safe.

My son and I went through the car, and discovered the right cylinder head was replaced. That must've been the work done in 78. Original owner was told the engine was blown, but it was really just the head!

Met the original owner a few months ago and found out he bought it in 1972 from a retired Air Force Colonel out of Patrick AFB near the space center. Unfortunately I have had no luck to find more info. The Colonel bought it for his daughter, but she really wanted an Opel GT instead so he sold it. That's how the original PO got it.

I've owned my 59 for 22 years and am pretty knowledgeable on the C1's. I will be performing a complete NCRS level restoration on the 62. Finishing up the garage so I can get moving on it. Over the last year I have been buying all NOS parts for it. You cannot imagine how much time I've spent researching, buying, etc. I've been lucky enought to have some aquaintances with big parts lots. Been all over Florida collecting truckloads of stuff for this car. Clearwater, Cape Coral, etc. NOS grille, chrome trims, engine parts, interior parts, etc. Everything NOS or original. Also swap meets, Ebay, etc. Much work. I'm hoping to be done by the end of the year in preparation for the NCRS Chapter event & Regionals in Kissimmee next January. We'll see how it goes!!!!......Rich

Last edited by rich5962; 03-13-2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: duplicate photo deleted
The following users liked this post:
oldskydog (08-18-2023)
Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Very Nice Richard! I enjoyed reading your post. The way you approach things is enjoyable to watch. Please keep up the progress reports so we can follow along. You've given me an idea. Whenever we do a task of interest on our cars why not do a detailed posting for CF members to observe? It will add alot to an already valuable forum. Thanks, Al W.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Holy moly...

And I have 1 lousy Tupperware bin of parts waiting to go on the '61 and I feel overwhelmed. Good on ya' fella.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! I assume that is the original color?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
TopLess62
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!! What a great story!! Congrats!! I am glad you got the original motor, that is really sweet!! Keep the progress pics coming!!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Nice Car

Good Job, Keep us posted.

Earl
Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Illinicane
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Great find and sounds like a life long dream project!!

Congrats and keep us informed along the way!!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Richard: Great find and good luck.
Bill
Old 03-13-2008, 01:58 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Like reading story like that and collecting parts for years. I also collected NOS parts for years for my 55 that I dint have and when I found my now 55 then I had nearly 90% of nos parts to use when I restore it.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Default More pics & more info......(long)

.....Thanks guys.....

.....So the NASA guy did some interesting things to his car over the 35 years of ownership. When he got it in 72, he removed the front bumpers to coat the backside with undercoating. He put them under his bed, and decided to leave them off so no one would steal them. Same deal with the bumperettes. I used a little chrome polish on them. Pics below. Funny he left the hubcaps on, and no one ever took those!

Every few years he repainted the car......with white latex house paint! (I removed a little on the top fender and found original white laquer underneath). He bought new rocker mouldings in 1978 and never put them on.(pic). Note the black stripes. Car has no black stripes on it's originals. Early 62's were like that.

In the process of checking the hood lip for a forum question, I discovered that the hood was dated....a white stamp under the peeled white paint on the front lip. It preceded the car build by a few weeks.

I removed the seats, knowing there was much rust underneath. Found the seatbelts. All buckles were rusted, and disintegrated when I moved them. Note the webbing in the pic below. I believe these are original belts, even though the judges say no. Very common for GM to use anything on the shelf back then. Heard this from a Chevy dealer in the business from 1949 to 1988 who sold the most Corvettes in the NE US. A&C Chevrolet in NY.

He never removed the hardtop. When I got the car home, 3 days of WD 40 before I got the top frame to budge. He bought the car but the HT was not included. He found a 61 Corvette nearby in 72 with a HT. He wanted to by the HT but seller wouldn't split up. He bought the whole car he said for $1700, kept the top, and sold the car for $1700. The top is dated Oct 13, 1961(under the headliner). Note pic "IVORY HT", white car with hardtop. Explains later dated top than the build date of car(apx Sep 6, 61).

All in all this car needs just about everything. When I discovered the original motor it changed my whole outlook on it's restoration. I was planning repro everything, but since that motor was the real deal I had to make a big decision. It has to be just like it came off the showroom floor in September of 1961. It'll be a ton of work, with troubles along the way, but what the heck, you don't find too many original motor Corvettes around these days like this, along with it's history. I hope to find more info about the AF Colonel, who according to the NASA guy was the original owner. The search continues......

Bye for now,
Rich

Last edited by rich5962; 03-14-2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: forgot hood picture
Old 03-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great story! I especially liked the parts about the house paint and how he preserved the bumpers.

Looks like your methodical approach will produce an outstanding original car when you are done.

Keep us posted. Doug
Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Looks like a great project, lots of good parts too - keep us posted! Those seat belts are aftermarket replacements - GM never used belts with webbing like that.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Great story, great car! Looking forward to updates! Good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

great story & pix!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Project

Great story. Enjoy the time with your son. My son helped me with my 66. Looking forward to seeing your car at Kissimmee in 09. Jerry
Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Dick Horzen
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Lacy
Richard: Great find and good luck.
Bill
Old 03-14-2008, 05:19 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Nice find. the orginal motor was a real sweet surprise. Any pics of the engine compartment and interior as when found the car?

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To My 62 story....how I got it last year (long)

Old 03-14-2008, 06:27 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Nice find. the orginal motor was a real sweet surprise. Any pics of the engine compartment and interior as when found the car?

Doug
Thanks.

Rough......Very rough. Engine has wrong dist, intake & carb. I have all correctly dated ones now on the shelves. Just a little more duct tape and the interior will be as good as new! BTW, mileage is accurate. I have the 1972 title.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

About what the interior of my car looked like when i got it.

Could you do me a favor if you have a chance, get a close up picture of the ridge line that runs down the center of the trunk,, actually where the ridge line meets the body at the truck and deck lid, behind the rear window, from the side if possible, i need to see a fairly unmolested car for edge sharpness of the fiberglas ridge.

Only other cuation is when you take the HT apart, be real careful about teh lower rear reveal moldings that hold the rear window in, the steel backing that have the studs on those likes to rust and may be a problem.

Thanks and good luck,
Doug
Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Congratulations on a great find. I really get a kick out of reading how someone finds a car. Dennis

Quick Reply: My 62 story....how I got it last year (long)