C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Manual Steering Box Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 PM
DandyDon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Manual Steering Box Upgrade?

I'm looking to upgrade my steering on my 67 Pro Street roadster.

I'm switching to a Flaming River tilt column and on their site I see a Corvette box that is brand new and has a faster ratio (16:1).

Looks pretty good but the price is $495.

Is this the going rate for an upgraded manual steering box?

Any other sources anyone can recommend?

Thanks-Dandy Don
Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
shooter1951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Call Gary Ramadei!

Hi Don,

The man you need to talk to is Gary Ramadei. Gary rebuilds boxes and from my standpoint THE BEST THERE IS. He can tell give you the information you need.
I can't find his number but here's his e-mail:

Gary.RAMADEI@radiall.com

Also if you do a search of his name you will get several posts. He usually posts in the C3's I believe.

Good Luck,
Shooter
Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a product from a company called Corvette Steering ph. # 864-287-9990. Tom is the owner and will be more then happy to answer your questions. Web site is www.corvettesteering.com.
I was referred to him by fellow forum members, and could not be more pleased with the handling.

As I understand it is a new Jeep steering box that has a ratio of 12.7. It bolts right into the original location with the use of a spacer to get the right angle. I had to chop about 1.25 of the end of the steering shaft as I remember. The shaft then fits into a mortise joint or gimble joint that attaches to the steering box. His direction are excellent and works great.

I added power steering to my serpentine belt system and you can't believe the steering response. It feels very tight, not mushy, and can turn on a dime. I went with a C-3 steering wheel since you don't need the big wheel and had it leather wrapped.
Dennis
Old 03-26-2008, 03:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by DandyDon
I'm switching to a Flaming River tilt column and on their site I see a Corvette box that is brand new and has a faster ratio (16:1).
The stock Corvette box is 16:1. So much for marketing hype.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Steering Box Upgrade?

Quick Reply: Manual Steering Box Upgrade?