C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Installing a vet 65 power steering renewal Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:47 PM
2k1 VET
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing a vet 65 power steering renewal Kit

I would like to know how long it would take to install a power steering renewal Kit which would include a new valve, new cylinder, and new hoses. I was quoted by a mechanic that I go to, that it would take an entire day. That seemed unreasonable to me.
I would appreciate your input.
thank you,
Vince
Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
VA63SWC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did my '63 in about 4 hours without any previous experience. That includes "balancing" the valve. Just follow the instructions in your manual and it should be a breeze. If you don't have a manual, get one. Good luck.
Doug
Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Get another mechanic. I did this job about 6 mos. ago and I had never done it before. It took me 6 hrs to do it without the benefit of lift. The only reason it took me that long was because I could not figure out how to separate the ball stud on the control valve from the pitman arm. Once I figured that out,the job was a piece of cake. I highly recommend the power steering kit from VB&P. The control valve is rebuilt by them, bench tested, and zero balanced at their shop. The kit also has 4 quality hoses, slave cylinder, and 2 pints of power steering fluid. I bought the whole setup on sale for 185 bucks with my old valve and cylinder as cores.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a vet 65 power steering renewal Kit

Quick Reply: Installing a vet 65 power steering renewal Kit