C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Door panel installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:34 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Door panel installation

I'm finally getting around to installing the new door panels on my 63. I wonder if it's possible that I have vent windows from another mid-year vette. The backing on the panels has cut-outs for window cranks and locks etc, so all you have to do is carefully slice the material. All of the cut-outs match perfrctly except for the vent window. The vent window crank isn't even close to the hole in the panel. Different year???
How do you install the spacer for the window crank? Are you supposed to mark or pre-slice the panel and the press them in? I don't want to screw it up.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Are you refering to the foam padding behind the panel on the crank shaft or the plastic protector behind the window crack handle?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

The stainless piece that appears to go between the panel and the window crank. They weren't on my old panels. Obviously the piece is round, but there are three small sharp pieces on the bottom that I think are supposed to puncture the panel to stay in place.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

All mid years used the same vent window frame, but two different regulators were used. But, I believe the only difference is the length of the shaft.

Did you compare your new door panels with the old ones?

Regarding the window crank spacer. The three tabs puncture the panel and are bent over on the backside.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

I think I figured how to install the spacers. I must apologize, last night under poor lighting conditions, I really couldn't clearly see the back of the panel. There are holes in the backing for the spacers.I pre-fit it and it appears to be fine. There are also holes in the backing for the locking mechanism and the window crank. There is also a hole for the vent crank only it doesn't come close to matching up.It's about 4 inches away from where the vent crank hits the panel. There are markings on the back of the panel (in the proper location) where it looks like someone started to cut a hole and stopped. That's why I wondered if the vent window in other mid-years was located in a different spot. I think that I can complete the install. I'll try to be as precise as possible when measuring and carefully drill or cut a small hole in the backing without puncturing the vinyl. For some reason, I was still having a problem fitting the panel in place. It just wouldn't fit on the top of the door properly. Maybe I'll wait til the week-end when one of my neighbors can lend a hand.

Get notified of new replies

To Door panel installation

Quick Reply: Door panel installation