C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Q-Jet Carb Base Gasket Tech Info: The "Hot Slot" Manifold Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Christopher Menge
Where does this exhaust gas come from? assuming that the intake only has a connection to the intake side of the heads, I don't understand where the exhaust comes from.

I have a 1969 350 that came without an original intake. I purchased an intake (69 350) that has the hot slot. and purchased a 69 QuadraJet. Did I receive a wrong part? Can it still be used with the above mentioned method for sealing off the port (either with the proper gaskets or with plugs)?
What is it they say about assumptions ?

The first is a pic of a bone stock '61 283 with holes marked; the second is the intake off an original 63 327....you can see where the heat passed darkened the paint at the runners.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-14-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:56 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

also a stock GM holley intake manifold with a hot slot will not seal with a non OEM holley carb because the base plate will not cover the hot slot.. you need to plug the holes in the hot slot to prevent a exhaust leak there.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:03 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

on the 3X2 BBC carb set up you need to make sure the gasket is position correctly on the center carb gasket or you will have a vacuum leak.
Attached Images  

Last edited by PAmotorman; 12-14-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Lonewolfen
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for clearing that up!

so the "crossover" is the source.

I found that there was quite a bit of Carbon (chunks like coal) in the drip plate on the underside of the intake. I was able to get it cleaned out but wonder if this is a common occurrence? or Do I have a crack that is venting crossover gasses into the drip plate... since the drip plate is riveted in place, I was unable to get a good look between it and the bottom of the intake...
Old 12-14-2016, 01:36 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Christopher Menge
Thank you all for clearing that up!

so the "crossover" is the source.

I found that there was quite a bit of Carbon (chunks like coal) in the drip plate on the underside of the intake. I was able to get it cleaned out but wonder if this is a common occurrence? or Do I have a crack that is venting crossover gasses into the drip plate... since the drip plate is riveted in place, I was unable to get a good look between it and the bottom of the intake...
Look at this,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-manifold.html
Old 12-14-2016, 07:50 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I just 2 weeks ago tapped and plugged the holes for the hot slot on the '66 390 hp intake. Useless and I could feel the exhaust gasses coming from between the carb and intake.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Plugging the hot slot does not prevent the intake runners from passing the exhaust heat below the carb in the intake. It can help a bit (and prevent some carb base corrosion is incorrect gaskets are used) but blocking off the runner is the best approach if you're fighting fuel perc and the like... BTW - you need to wire open or eliminate the passenger side exhaust heat riser valve if you do this..
Old 12-15-2016, 05:00 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Not fighting fuel perc here. I did use the intake gasket runner block off inserts, but I don't expect them to last. I'd like to eliminate the heat riser valve completely. Is there a spacer available to take it's place?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by ILBMF
Not fighting fuel perc here. I did use the intake gasket runner block off inserts, but I don't expect them to last. I'd like to eliminate the heat riser valve completely. Is there a spacer available to take it's place?
Yes - all the vendors sell them...its just a triangular-ish hollow spacer.... Prob got 'em at Jegs and Summit too...
Old 12-15-2016, 05:11 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ILBMF
if you use stainless steel for the block offs they will out last the car.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:37 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

They came in the Fel Pro $350.00 premium gasket kit. I assembled the engine, but I don't remember what the material was. Shiny metal, so I guess maybe stainless. That was the last thing on my mind at the time.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:15 PM
greggome
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Lars, I have an old holley 650 double pumper on my 327/350 vette. Its not been running too well lately and I was thinking of having my original Q jet rebuilt and install that. Are you still rebuilding Q jets? Do you think buying a new holly double pumper is a better choice then a referbed Q jet? I drive around town mostly but I like the Hollys performance when i want to get on it.

Originally Posted by lars
Wow - that was a resurrection of a 6-year-old thread, and my original posted article was grossly outdated. Since this thread has been revamped, I have updated the original post with the current version of the article, which includes all the part numbers and sources.

Lars
Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

when I was rebuilding carbs and someone had a holley spread bore to rebuild I would ask if they had the original Q jet. if they did I told them I would rebuild the Q jet and if you did not like it better than the holley I would rebuild the holley free. never had to do that.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=greggome;1594180302]...I have an old holley 650 double pumper on my 327/350 vette. Its not been running too well lately and I was thinking of having my original Q jet rebuilt and install that....

Unless your 327/350 Corvette is a C3 (1968 in particular), it was not born with a Quadrajet.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:42 PM
greggome
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a 68 and yes I have the original Q jet which was on the car when my brother purchased it new.

[QUOTE=SI67;1594181847]
Originally Posted by greggome
...I have an old holley 650 double pumper on my 327/350 vette. Its not been running too well lately and I was thinking of having my original Q jet rebuilt and install that....

Unless your 327/350 Corvette is a C3 (1968 in particular), it was not born with a Quadrajet.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:33 PM
pl2000n
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, what an incredibly intriguing and helpful thread. Thanks to Lars and everyone else for increasing my understanding. I have the "smiley face" intake manifold and someone in the past has installed the 3-piece gasket set (stainless in the middle), but both the bottom AND top gasket are smiley. Any problem with the top also having the hot slot? FYI, someone in that past has indeed plugged the exhaust gas holes in the aluminum manifold. I'm thinking I'm OK since the holes are plugged but of am open to comments. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

The "factory" setup only used 2 of the 3 gaskets: The bottom hi-temp gasket with the smiley-groove, and the top stainless shield. The carb was mounted directly to the stainless shield so it would heat the bottom of the carb up for better cold-weather driveability. Since a hot carb doesn't do much for performance, the top gasket is added to insulate the carb base a little from the hot stainless shield, so it doesn't matter much if it has a slot in it as long as it prevents the carb from touching the hot shield. In your case, with the plugs in the slot, it becomes irrelevant, as long as you have a complete seal at the carb base.

Lars

Get notified of new replies

To Q-Jet Carb Base Gasket Tech Info: The "Hot Slot" Manifold Problem

Old 01-25-2018, 12:10 PM
pl2000n
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
The "factory" setup only used 2 of the 3 gaskets: The bottom hi-temp gasket with the smiley-groove, and the top stainless shield. The carb was mounted directly to the stainless shield so it would heat the bottom of the carb up for better cold-weather driveability. Since a hot carb doesn't do much for performance, the top gasket is added to insulate the carb base a little from the hot stainless shield, so it doesn't matter much if it has a slot in it as long as it prevents the carb from touching the hot shield. In your case, with the plugs in the slot, it becomes irrelevant, as long as you have a complete seal at the carb base.

Lars
Thanks Lars, your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated. BTW, the guy I bought the car from said he sent the Q-jet to you for tuning a few years back and I even have the old receipt for work performed. It operates perfectly
Old 01-26-2018, 07:35 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I installed the same sandwich Lars pictured on my '67 GTO back in 2010, after dealing with percolation issues for years. I also re-installed the disconnected fuel return system on the car. No more percolation, even on 100 degree Fresno summer days. Many people don't even know that the steel plate must be used, and simply install a single gasket. Not a great plan. Great article, as usual.....thank you, Lars.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:59 PM
oldnbusted
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posting my misfortune for others to learn from. The story. I have a 1968 327 in an 59 chevy pickup or did have. I opted to use the freeze plug method to block them off. I used the 7/16 size recommended. I prepped the holes by wire brushing to bare metal, the holes where not pitted or damaged. I tapped them home with a dab of high heat sealer. They were very snug or so I thought. I let it sit for a couple days. Put the carb back on and started it up. Engine ran for about 4-5 minutes then pop pop and then a series of loud clunks, I quickly shut it off. the silence was filled with the sound of coolant gurgling and cascading down through the engine. This just happened so I haven't assessed the damage but I'm sure it isn't good.

Quick Reply: Q-Jet Carb Base Gasket Tech Info: The "Hot Slot" Manifold Problem