C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield Scratch Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 AM
maddoe
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Windshield Scratch Removal

My windshield (which I'm 99.99% positive is the original) has swirl marks in it similar to what you would see in paint. When driving into the sun it is very difficult to see through it. Becuase it is original, I don't want to replace it. Is there a way to buff these marks out? My dad once told me there is a product that was used to buff out glass TV tubes but he has since passed away and I don't remember what it is. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mat
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Check the Eastwood catalog for their glass buffing kit to remove scratches. Believe me, it requires an abrasive compound and a power buffer. I think the compound is cerium oxide.

Take it slow, keep it wet, and don't let the glass get hot
Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure about windshields, but I have been using toothpaste to get rid of scratches in glasses and sunglasses for years. A trick given to me by an optometrist. Worth a try and cheap.
Don
Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Not sure about windshields, but I have been using toothpaste to get rid of scratches in glasses and sunglasses for years. A trick given to me by an optometrist. Worth a try and cheap.
Don

Also Jiff works well.
When I worked at Pilkingtons years ago thats what was used to get rid of minor blemishes using a power buff machine
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

and on the chance you have to buy a new dated WS, whatever you do, DON'T buy it form O.E.M. Glass... They suck...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Red64RoadsterMike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Don

This works well as long as the damage isn't too deep.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maddoe
My windshield (which I'm 99.99% positive is the original) has swirl marks in it similar to what you would see in paint. When driving into the sun it is very difficult to see through it. Becuase it is original, I don't want to replace it. Is there a way to buff these marks out? My dad once told me there is a product that was used to buff out glass TV tubes but he has since passed away and I don't remember what it is. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mat
Mat, you may want to try the ENKAY Glass Polishing Kit. I've heard that it works great. - Pat

http://www.hobbytool.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=689
Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
Check the Eastwood catalog for their glass buffing kit to remove scratches. Believe me, it requires an abrasive compound and a power buffer. I think the compound is cerium oxide.

Take it slow, keep it wet, and don't let the glass get hot
I was in the autoglass business for years in the 70's and we used this product and the felt wheel that comes with it. I would recomend it highly.
One thing to remember. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail (deep scratch), it will be to deep to polish out and never push at a scratch from the opposite side of the glass. That's how we cut the stuff and it will crack and run to the edge.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Scratch Removal

Quick Reply: Windshield Scratch Removal