C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Victory Cruise: Vancouver to Lillooet and Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:24 AM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Victory Cruise Pictures: Vancouver to Lillooet and Back

Hey Gang!

Well, it's time to get the '64 out and pounding some serious pavement. It's been about 9 months now since I've had The Beast, and about 2-months in I took it for a 400 mile mountain cruise through the Duffy Lake Loop:

And, by the end of it had a fuel leak, which evolved into a frame repair by the time all was said and done. Thursday evening I got the car back on the road, and Friday night I spent giving the car a post repair/pre-cruise inspection, topped off with a scrubbing out of the interior:

And now I'm ready to re-trace half my steps (twice) in a blast up Hwy 99 from Vancouver through Whistler and Pemberton, then up the back route to Lilloot - and back again:

This way I maximize my twisty mountain road and oceanside cruising quotent. More to follow...

Last edited by darguy; 05-03-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:48 AM
donkeyboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like fun, I've been meaning to take that drive maybe this summer!
Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 AM
darguy
Drifting

Default Mission Update...

Well, the good news is that all the rain last night would have cleaned up the roads pretty good. Bad news is that it's still raining and 9 C (48 F) outside.

The forecast along the route for this afternoon is for variable cloudyness with a 20% chance of precipitation, highs from 13-18 C (55-64 F). So, I'm guessing it's not going to get much better than that any time soon. Heck, I can hear the birds singing outside now - it must be clearing up!

Ok, maybe not quite yet - but today I'll be an optimist...

Old 05-03-2008, 12:18 PM
gord holden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Repair

Did they do a good fix on car.Where you at Car Show (Tradex) on SAT. Seen a white 64 as I was leaving at noon.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:41 PM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by gord holden
Did they do a good fix on car.Where you at Car Show (Tradex) on SAT. Seen a white 64 as I was leaving at noon.
Hey Gord,

They did a great job, check out the after-photos at the end of this thread.

No, I wasn't at the Tradex show - must have been another white 64. Just getting back on the road now.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:55 PM
darguy
Drifting

Default Back in the day...

Well, what a ride! I made it up to Lillooet and back without incident - unless you count bottoming out the car 4 times on the way up... I was just getting to know the road, which was coming apart in a couple of spots, and was occationally strewn with a few rocks that had made their way off the mountain. Anyhow, this is how it went:

Rain leaving town:

Clouds hanging up in the mountains off the coast:

Stop for fuel in Pemberton:

Mountains in the valley:

And then the snow at the sides of the road:

I knew it was a little cold, bit I didn't figure Duffy Lake would be frozen:

Ran into the Caravan of Slow on the descent into Lilloeet:

And made it to the half way point:

The weather cleared up some on the way back:

Eventually coming back into town:

Well, what can I say. I carved through those corners pretty good. Managed to bottom out 8 times on the way back, but shaved 35 min off the Lillooeet to Pemberton time...

I started out about 20 min late, and the Caravan of Slow ate up a bunch of time, so I didn't have time to stop for lunch in Lillooet (had friends coming over in the evening). Which is too bad, cause I was really looking forward to Diner Steak. I managed to clock 344 miles in 7hr 20 min, for an average speed of 47 mph. Not too bad considering all the construction along the 99 (pre Olympics), and all the traffic in town. Made for a pretty good day, and a great way to get used to the car again. Time for round 2...

Last edited by darguy; 05-04-2008 at 04:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Victory Cruise: Vancouver to Lillooet and Back

Quick Reply: Victory Cruise: Vancouver to Lillooet and Back