C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My horn has me stumped?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default My horn has me stumped?

Horns not working.

I tested the horns at the horn relay by grounding it and they blow - thus the relay and forward wires are good.

I am now at the connector under the dash between the turn signal switch and the connector to the dash harness.

My understanding of the horn circuitry is that when the horn is pushed, the circuit is grounded and the horn blows.

I can't figure out which wire controls the horn?

----------------------

Addtionally, does anyone have a good picure of the way the steering colum should look underneath the horn button when the horn button is removed?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not where my schematics are but I believe it's the black wire on your column that is looking for the ground.

Geek
Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crw41
Horns not working.

I tested the horns at the horn relay by grounding it and they blow - thus the relay and forward wires are good.

I am now at the connector under the dash between the turn signal switch and the connector to the dash harness.

My understanding of the horn circuitry is that when the horn is pushed, the circuit is grounded and the horn blows.

I can't figure out which wire controls the horn?
wiring diagram near the bottom of this web page:
http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/magicmachine
It clearly shows that the horn switch grounds a 20ga black wire going to the bulkhead plug.
It also clearly shows the RH plugs transfer that line to the 20ga black wire that goes to the horn relay connector.

Last edited by magicv8; 05-04-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:52 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Problem was a loose connection under the dash between the steering column connector and the dash. harness.

Word of advice - anyone replacing their steering column wires - get the USA made turn signal replacement.

Most of the repros are made in china and seem to lack quality at the level of the connector.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by crw41
Word of advice - anyone replacing their steering column wires - get the USA made turn signal replacement.
Where do you find the USA-made switch?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Where do you find the USA-made switch?
Jeff:

For what year car? Lectric Limited, Shee-Mar Turn Signal Switches, and the "partsladi" who sells on E-bay/E-bayStores generally have USA-made reproduction switches available for mid-years. I believe that the "partsladi" and her husband were the ones who recently had the 1967 Corvette turn signal switches reproduced on the old Delco tooling.

Not sure about who to go to for C1's.

Also you can watch E-bay for NOS Delco-Remy or AC Delco switches. They come up occasionally, but prices are generally high.

Larry
Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Jeff:

For what year car? Lectric Limited, Shee-Mar Turn Signal Switches, and the "partsladi" who sells on E-bay/E-bayStores generally have USA-made reproduction switches available for mid-years. I believe that the "partsladi" and her husband were the ones who recently had the 1967 Corvette turn signal switches reproduced on the old Delco tooling.

Not sure about who to go to for C1's.

Also you can watch E-bay for NOS Delco-Remy or AC Delco switches. They come up occasionally, but prices are generally high.

Larry
This question would be for my 65. The right signal is working more and more sporadically, so I figured it was time for a new switch, but then saw this thread noting differences in quality.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:20 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

I don't know where this piece of crap was made, but if you look at the area in the circle you can see that these two pieces are almost touching. Should they touch? Heck, no. Will they touch? Heck, yeah. I epoxied a piece of plastic between them so they can't touch . Bottom terminals are what it should look like.

Get notified of new replies

To My horn has me stumped?

Quick Reply: My horn has me stumped?