C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Seat Belt Webbing Wet, Possible Brake Fluid ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Default Seat Belt Webbing Wet, Possible Brake Fluid ?

I have recently noticed a streak/stain across my lap after I drive my '66. After awhile of blaming it on anything else but my car, I found that the driver's side buckle side of the belt was damp and the saddle stain left on my lap was probably from this belt. Awhile ago, in anticipation of replacing my carpet I lubricated the nuts and bolts at the seatbelt anchors (all 4) with penetrating fluid and thought that maybe the belt was acting like a wick from the oil. Then I thought, I had a brake master cylinder leak that really left the carpet pretty damp so maybe it's brake fluid from the carpet that has wicked up the belt. It has only happened to this belt on the driver's side, i.e. the master cylinder side. Has this happened to anyone else ?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Belly sweat.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its never happened to me, but I understand that you have some hair drying equipment that might be used to dry out your seat belt...
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Vodka mixed with Cigar juice would be my guess
Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, you know what I like about you guys ?

Hold on, I'm still thinking......
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Vodka mixed with Cigar juice would be my guess
That guess is as good as any since the factory belt retractor is on a steel bracket that keeps it above the carpet in a plastic shroud. You may have spilled your cocktail into the retractor when you hit a bump. Dawn dish detergent should clean the belt without damaging the material.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by magicv8
That guess is as good as any since the factory belt retractor is on a steel bracket that keeps it above the carpet in a plastic shroud. You may have spilled your cocktail into the retractor when you hit a bump. Dawn dish detergent should clean the belt without damaging the material.
It has more of an oily texture to it, not so much potato or wheat based. Since I am not one to ignore advice or pass up a free drink, I'm gonna run out to the garage and try sucking that belt dry. Right after I stop at the refigerator for a lime.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fluids

I think you should check all your fluids. I would have to believe it would take quite a bit to penetrate what your describing. Are your sure its not coolant. I would also put it on a rack and take a look. Greg
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gman58
I think you should check all your fluids. I would have to believe it would take quite a bit to penetrate what your describing. Are your sure its not coolant. I would also put it on a rack and take a look. Greg
Yeah, that's the thing that makes no sense. The buckle side of the belt is mounted to the floor via chrome metal bracket but ultimately the lower part of the belt will contact the carpet on the inner trans tunnel. But I couldn't imagine the brake fluid leak would track that high.
And by the way, that damp belt has no vodka/rum taste. Blecchh !
Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 AM
CabSav
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to check to see if your brake m/c is leaking into your carpet, you can just take a look under the dash to the right of the steeing column, you'll see the brake rod going into a rubber boot. If the m/c was leaking, you would see a wet trail from the base of that boot down the support bracket, it should be dry.
And from memeory, I think brake fluid has a very bitter taste, so it might mix well with anything that goes well with tequila.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Remove the Bracket and Belt from the Car and clean it. (And don't take any of those other guys Serious!). Al W.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Remove the Bracket and Belt from the Car and clean it. (And don't take any of those other guys Serious!). Al W.
That's what I did yesterday Al. Believe me, I was sure that I was going to strip out the retaining nut and really have a fight getting this thing out of the car after the horror stories that I've heard. Well, I guess my soaking the retainer in penetrating oil a few months back worked because it came right out with an end wrench (big surprise !).
I cleaned it and let it sit overnight and it looks and feels pretty good already. I will probably try the dishwashing detergent stated above and let it sit for a few days to dry and reinstall it. I just hate not driving the car as much as I hate driving it without a seat belt. And without a drink.
By the way, the original Hamill tag on the belt is in great condition, I was worried about ruining that when cleaning the belt, looks good !

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Belt Webbing Wet, Possible Brake Fluid ?

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Webbing Wet, Possible Brake Fluid ?