C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

54 Turn Signal Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Default 54 Turn Signal Switch

I have an 55 turn signal switch that I am trying to use in my 54. The male connector end does not fit well into the repro wire harness. Is there a difference between a 55 and a 54 switch connector ends? Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by 54greg
I have an 55 turn signal switch that I am trying to use in my 54. The male connector end does not fit well into the repro wire harness. Is there a difference between a 55 and a 54 switch connector ends? Thanks
A 55 will work in your 54 (same)
1 the replacement (second design) turn signal harness wire male ends are spit and will cause them to fall out from the original dash harness
2 the repro dash harness connectors are smaller I'm told causing the original turn signal harness trouble pushing them in.
3 "Original" turn signal harness wire ends are not split at the male ends.
If you have a mixing of harnesses you'll just have to modified them.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 54greg

I had the same problem with my 54. I tried to modify the connections to make my repro harness work with my original turn signal switch. No go. The connectors kept separating. So I ended up buying a reproduction turn signal switch, and everything worked fine.

In terms of installing the new turn signal switch:

Tie a long piece of thick string securely around the old turn signal terminals. When you pull out the old switch and wires, you will pull the string thru the steering column. Have enough string so that the string runs from under your dash, thru the column, and onto the driver's seat. When you go to install the new switch, tie the string on the driver's seat around all of the new terminals. Now you can pull the string under the dash and pull the wires thru the column without too much problem.

I actually used two pieces of string when removing the old switch, just too make sure I would be okay if one string fell off.

I suspect there are other ways to do this. But the string trick sure worked for me.

Good luck,

Russ
Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks guys! You hit the nail on the head. A repro harness and original switch. Thanks for the instructions. Have a great nite

Get notified of new replies

To 54 Turn Signal Switch

Quick Reply: 54 Turn Signal Switch