C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

TKX, what’s really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 12:11 PM
L78
Burning Brakes

Received 434 Likes on 242 Posts

Default TKX, what’s really needed?

I was just looking into TKX transmissions, and got a few quotes, And I was curious about some of the “extras” that I was quoted ( from multiple vendors).

Do I need a new driveshaft? I thought the length was the same (maybe need a different slip yoke?)

”crossmember”…. I though I had read that the mount was in the same location as a Muncie, so why doesn’t the factory “ crossmember” work? Or will it?

clutch: okay, so it’s a 26-spline input and I currently have a 10-spline. Can’t I just swap out the disc for the 26? My clutch only has about 100+ miles on it.

I realize I need the special shifter to keep the proper location, maybe a pilot bearing and a Speedo cable adapter, but do I really need all these other items ($750-$1000+)?
Old 08-29-2023, 12:20 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Check with Silver Sport Transmission. www.shiftsst.com They have everything you need and show it on their website. Easy to deal with, professional and helpful after the sale. I put a TKO 600 in my 62 a few years ago and they had everything I needed (driveshaft part of the package).
The following users liked this post:
Lotsacubes (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 01:01 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,299 Likes on 478 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Second on Silver Sport. Put a TKX in my C1 late spring. Yes, needed to shorten the drive shaft a few inches but was able to do it on my lathe and TIG welder (many YouTube videos on how to shorten a shaft). I also just replaced the disc as my plate was also pretty new. They have you replace the bronze pilot with a needle bearing. I bought one of their yokes but it required a different type of U joint. The cross member just needs the mount bolt holes elongated. I got the 'close ratio' with the .68 final as I had a 3.70 rear. The only gears that are "close" IMO are 3rd to 4th. 2nd to 3rd is a bigger jump than a Muncie or BW close ratio and 1st is lower than a Muncie "long" ratio but you'll get used to it. I hated the 1-2 to 5-R lockout as I feel it interfered with smooth shifting so I removed the detent spring plug and replaced it with a shortened Subaru oil drain plug (same threads). The offset shifter has its own spring loaded lockout but it needed some "refining". I'm very happy with it now and it shifts very close to the way my Hurst comp plus did.

BTW, squeezing it into my C1 was a BEAR!!!
Loren Smith (08-30-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 01:26 PM
Taliban Butcher
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tkx

I just bought mine from SST and it will arrive on the 1st Sep. I checked with other retailers and decided SST was who I wanted. Instant reply from Jeff Kauffman and here is what I’m getting. Yes you need a new driveline. I have seen one video of a guy installing the TKX without removing the crossmember or the engine. What a nightmare!
The kit that cuts the crossmember and inserts bolted plates is the way to go, if the mod doesn’t bother you to much. I also had a new clutch and pressure plate, so I only needed the new spline clutch disk like you. Here is my invoice.
good luck brother
Brett

Loren Smith (08-30-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 01:30 PM
MC vet
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just installed a TKX in my 67 and everything needed was in the kit, I really like the smooth and short throw shift but it has a rattle in all the gears especially in 5th gear, no vibration, I may need to call Silver Sport and talk to the tech guys, their customer support is excellent.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:44 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by MC vet
Just installed a TKX in my 67 and everything needed was in the kit, I really like the smooth and short throw shift but it has a rattle in all the gears especially in 5th gear, no vibration, I may need to call Silver Sport and talk to the tech guys, their customer support is excellent.
Don't know what kind of space is in a C2 tunnel but I found the yoke SST supplied was about 1/8" larger diameter and was just touching the tunnel on one side. A slight readjustment of the trans mount bolts fixed that.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:15 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

On a 67 you need to bend the E-brake bracket very slightly to clear the yoke. Been there on my 67 I just installed a TKX into.

And yes IMHO SilverSport is the way to go with the complete kit.

C2 Corvettes do not really have crossmembers as we know them. I always do the removable crossmember mod using the kit from Modern Driveline.

https://www.moderndriveline.com/shop...-with-flanges/
Old 08-29-2023, 02:16 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

I believe when you go to the needle bearing for the pilot bearing you also need to align the bell housing so it is perfect to the crankshaft. Needle bearings do not allow any flex it has to be straight. The tranny front bearing will like this also. There are several posts I have read here on aligning the bell housing using offset dowels.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:21 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
I believe when you go to the needle bearing for the pilot bearing you also need to align the bell housing so it is perfect to the crankshaft. Needle bearings do not allow any flex it has to be straight. The tranny front bearing will like this also. There are several posts I have read here on aligning the bell housing using offset dowels.
My SST TKX came with specific detailed instructions on how to do the above.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:54 PM
brickwhite
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

The TXK is more precise than the muncie and will require the bell housing, bearing and yoke to be more accurate to keep the warranty that these companies provide. Is the main reason they don't just sell the trans.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:03 PM
MC vet
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So Vegas did your TKX rattle also until you adjusted the ebrake bracket, I will check mine for that problem.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:05 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

So Vegas did your TKX rattle also until you adjusted the ebrake bracket, I will check mine for that problem.
Yes

Get notified of new replies

To TKX, what’s really needed?

Quick Reply: TKX, what’s really needed?