C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

radiator removal on 60 vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:29 AM
vets60vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default radiator removal on 60 vette

First I must admit that I am not mechanically inclined. I have searched the archives and haven't found an answer to this problem. I need some advice on the removal steps for this leaky radiator that needs to be removed from my 1960 roadster. I have removed the 4 bolts/screws that fasten the top of the radiator to the radiator supports. And I have removed the 4 screws that fasten the shroud to its supports. Now, that altho the radiator is willing to slide up and out, the lower hose outlet hangs up on the shroud. So if the shroud must come out, it appears that I need to remove an arm that is held in place by two bushings and passes thru the center of the shroud for the radiator removal process to continue. Is this OK or is there away around this?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by vets60vette
First I must admit that I am not mechanically inclined. I have searched the archives and haven't found an answer to this problem. I need some advice on the removal steps for this leaky radiator that needs to be removed from my 1960 roadster. I have removed the 4 bolts/screws that fasten the top of the radiator to the radiator supports. And I have removed the 4 screws that fasten the shroud to its supports. Now, that altho the radiator is willing to slide up and out, the lower hose outlet hangs up on the shroud. So if the shroud must come out, it appears that I need to remove an arm that is held in place by two bushings and passes thru the center of the shroud for the radiator removal process to continue. Is this OK or is there away around this?
NO
remove the shrouding
Old 05-25-2008, 12:13 PM
jammovette
Pro

I agree. 3-piece shroud must come out. While is't out. Good time to buy some black semi-gloss spray paint and make it look new. Radiator too before re-install.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:24 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shroud is three pieces, the top is one large piece, the bottom is two and has three small screws in the middle, take those out and itwill come right out.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:13 PM
vets60vette
4th Gear

Default fan too?

Thanks for the quick replies. I am assuming then without going out to the shop and looking that the arm that goes through the shroud does not have to come out since the shroud is in 3 parts. Also, do I need to take the fan off to accomplish this task?
Old 05-25-2008, 05:41 PM
silverado2005
Instructor

You don't have too, but it might make it easier on you.

Also if you fill out your location you might find someone close to stop and help. Usually only costs a couple beers.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:06 PM
jammovette
Pro

Thanks for the quick replies. I am assuming then without going out to the shop and looking that the arm that goes through the shroud does not have to come out since the shroud is in 3 parts. Also, do I need to take the fan off to accomplish this task?
I took mine out so I wouldn't damage cooling fins in radiator. Mark the front or rear of fan to indicate front or rear so you don't put fan back in incorrectly.

Get notified of new replies

To radiator removal on 60 vette

Quick Reply: radiator removal on 60 vette