C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spax adjustable shocks - good news!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 03:50 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Spax adjustable shocks - good news!

I took a look at the Spax site today - http://www.spax.co.uk - and was pleased to see that they added a PDF catalog that you can download, and guess what, they have a listing in the catalog for '63 to '82 Corvettes. Front and rear part numbers are G021 and G022, and the low numeric value indicates that they've been around for some time.

Spax shocks are not widely marketed or known in the US but they are the rage in England among club racers. I have a set on my Cosworth Vega. They have 14 rebound settiings and can be adjusted on the car with a radially oriented screw near the bottom of the shock. On the CV I can adjust the rear by just by crawling under the back of the car. On the front I have to jack the car up to get a spring coil out of the way.

The CV has very high ride rates - higher than any production Corvette except the F-40/41 - and the HD Bilsteins I had previously were underdamped in front and overdamped in the rear. With the Spax I got them dialed in to an optimum setting for a high performance car, but I had to go all the way to 14 on the front. The car is a bit stiff, but handles like a rollerskate with DOT legal racing tires.

I can't vouch for how the Corvette shock would perform, but most available shocks on the market have insufficient damping IMO, and with the F-40/41 you're probably SOL - with the ride rate being double the base suspension you need at least double the rebound damping rate.

H-body shocks were not a Spax catalog item, but Bill Hutton of Hutton Motor Engineering in Clarksville TN had Spax do a special run of 25 sets as a group buy through our Club. Bill used to work for Cosworth and has a lot of contacts in the UK. He's been a CV supplier of parts and engine services for over 20 years and has a sterling reputation. His current primary business is IRL engine building and development.

If any of you are currently looking for shocks, I'd definitely recommend evaluting the Spax offering. They're not widely distributed in the US, so my suggestion would be to call Bill Hutton, 931-648-1119. You might even want to consider a group buy, but it would be good if someone could get a set and evaluate them first.

Duke
Old 12-21-2001, 01:04 AM
Andy B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spax adjustable shocks - good news! (SWCDuke)

Duke,

I have used spax products in the past and was quite pleased with thier product. I am considering the HAL adjustable shocks at the moment but I could be swayed, do you think they are close to the price of the HAL's?
Andy

Quick Reply: Spax adjustable shocks - good news!