C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

327 Short Block Lubrication before Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 AM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 327 Short Block Lubrication before Break-in

Hello folks,

My 327 was rebuilt (but never fired up) and put into storage 20 years ago. It was carefully sealed and prepped for long-term storage (of course, it wasn't supposed to be THAT long).

I recently took the engine out of storage and opened it up and I am happy to report that it as fresh as the day I put it away - not a trace of corrosion anywhere. The assembly turns over nicely. I plan on removing the lifters and cam and re-applying moly assembly lube.

I will be filling the oil pan and priming the engine (with heads, cam and lifters installed) on the stand using a priming tool (devised from an old SBC distributor assembly) and an electric drill; I feel that this will take care of all the necessary lubrication for the rotating mass bearings and upper end.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kbuhagiar; 06-09-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My understanding, from what I've read on this forum, is that an old distributor shaft on a power drill is not sufficient to fully lubricate the upper end, because that shaft won't have the portion of the distributor housing that helps direct oil from one side of the engine to the other.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 AM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
My understanding, from what I've read on this forum, is that an old distributor shaft on a power drill is not sufficient to fully lubricate the upper end, because that shaft won't have the portion of the distributor housing that helps direct oil from one side of the engine to the other.
Point of clarification: What I will be using is an old SBC distributor that has had the top end removed. The drill chuck attaches to the shaft stub that sticks out where the breaker plate used to be. This 'tool' was designed by a buddy of mine who used to work in an engine shop.

Last edited by kbuhagiar; 06-09-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

That will work. An old distributor or a tool with the same profile as the lower shaft of the distributor. Without this, the oil will just run down into the pan, without feeding the other side of the engine.

Proper tool:

Oil passage:

Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I would be tempted to replace the rear main seal and timing cover seal if it has been sitting that long. Both are easy to do if it is out of the car, and on an engine stand.

Doug
Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Prime the engine with the tool and electric drill with the valve covers off and watch for oil coming out of the pushrods. You will need to do this with the engine on TDC and at other points in its rotation so that the oil goes everywhere.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

If you have not already done so, I would take a squirt can filled with engine oil and run some oil completely around the pistons and rings as you slowly rotate the crank, so that it drains past all of the rings and helps lubricate them and the cylinder walls. Same with the wrist pins.

And double check all critical bolt torques, like the crank, rods, and cylinder heads.

Also be sure to use an oil with plenty of ZDDP, and add a can of EOS prior to startup.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To 327 Short Block Lubrication before Break-in

Quick Reply: 327 Short Block Lubrication before Break-in