C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best price on Bilstein HD shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Best price on Bilstein HD shocks

Think I am going purchase the Bilstein HD shocks for my 65 Coupe with VB&P composite spring. Currently have the Bilstein sports which are bouncy. Front shocks are unknown. From what I have read/researched the sports are more for autocross. The HD are still good rebound/damping but not as stiff. Also think I will do all 4 corners to make sure it all matches. Was going to do the QA-1 adjustable but I really don't want to play around with finding the right ride etc. Besides, I think from all I have researched, the Bilstein HD is the way to go. Any comments or advice on where to buy? I did see them on Ebay, set of 4, front and read for $280.00 plus $15.00 shipping from thepartslady. Looks like a good price?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Mary jo has fair prices.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Shocks

Give VB&P a call. I think they give Forum members a 10% discount. I always use them as they are local to me. Jerry
Old 06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I got mine, the best price was $250.00 for 4 each HD shocks, Limetime warranty at Mid-America. I paid $22.00 shipping as well.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Ken,
I got mine on flea-bay for $289.00 including shipping.
tecdeals@hotmail.com.
Let me know how the spring / shock combo works as I am also looking at mono springs.

Larry
Old 06-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Ken,
I got mine on flea-bay for $289.00 including shipping.
tecdeals@hotmail.com.
Let me know how the spring / shock combo works as I am also looking at mono springs.

Larry

After a lot of searching the regular Corvette & Automotive Supply vendor's web sites; $289 was the best price I found for the Bilstein HD's was on E-Bay (w/free shipping (16lbs-UPS Ground).

I would have rather bought them from one of the regular Corvette vendors; but, I didn't want to fool around with a "vendor will match any lower price". If they can't equal the best price without me spending more time proving to them it can be bought at a lower price and with free shipping, then they don't get my business...
Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI-Bilstein HD Shocks; Follow up to older thread-product review.

Received from E-Bay Vendor in about a week for $289-total, which included shipping. Had the Bilstein HD's installed by my favorite local Vette mechanic on my '65 Vert.

The ride seems a bit more firm (subjective), but bumps and washboards do smooth out much quicker than the previous Delco's, a very noticeable smoother ride.

Now, when my new Diamondback 500's get here, I'll really be zipping right along!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 AM
66BlueRdster
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Think I am going purchase the Bilstein HD shocks for my 65 Coupe with VB&P composite spring. Currently have the Bilstein sports which are bouncy. Front shocks are unknown. From what I have read/researched the sports are more for autocross. The HD are still good rebound/damping but not as stiff. Also think I will do all 4 corners to make sure it all matches. Was going to do the QA-1 adjustable but I really don't want to play around with finding the right ride etc. Besides, I think from all I have researched, the Bilstein HD is the way to go. Any comments or advice on where to buy? I did see them on Ebay, set of 4, front and read for $280.00 plus $15.00 shipping from thepartslady. Looks like a good price?
Ken,

My understanding is Bilstein HDs are not specifically valved for composite springs so they may not get rid of the bounce. VB&P has Bilstein Sports and KYBs that are specifically valved for composite springs to neutralize bounce. Net, don't know if HDs are right for your app given the composite spring.

However, if you are still looking for a set of Bilstein HD shocks, I have a set that was on my 66 roadster for about 5-6 years with less than 10K miles. They are in good condition. I swapped them out 2 months ago for a set of KYBs because the ride was too stiff for my liking. I have found that the KYBs give a more compliant ride.

You can try the set of Bilstein HDs I have to see if you like them before spending the money to purchase a new set. Just cover the shipping and I'll send them out.

PM me if you want to try them out.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlueRdster
Ken,

My understanding is Bilstein HDs are not specifically valved for composite springs so they may not get rid of the bounce. VB&P has Bilstein Sports and KYBs that are specifically valved for composite springs to neutralize bounce. Net, don't know if HDs are right for your app given the composite spring.

However, if you are still looking for a set of Bilstein HD shocks, I have a set that was on my 66 roadster for about 5-6 years with less than 10K miles. They are in good condition. I swapped them out 2 months ago for a set of KYBs because the ride was too stiff for my liking. I have found that the KYBs give a more compliant ride.

You can try the set of Bilstein HDs I have to see if you like them before spending the money to purchase a new set. Just cover the shipping and I'll send them out.

PM me if you want to try them out.
You have a PM! And your understanding is 100% correct but other forum members that have this spring have said they like the HDs over the Sports. So trying the HDs would be great. At least I will know the difference. If the HDs don't work, I will buy the QA-1 adjustable.

Get notified of new replies

To Best price on Bilstein HD shocks

Quick Reply: Best price on Bilstein HD shocks