C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Would this Sun distributor machine work for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Would this Sun distributor machine work for me?

Greetings,
Spotted a Sun Distributor tester that is actually close enough to where I live to consider a road trip to go get it.

What I've learned in general is that I don't have a clue why there are so many different models of Sun machines.

Before I bother bidding -

Can anyone tell me if this particular model (providing it works and is complete) would be fine for a generic GM distributor (50's through 70's Chevy, Olds, Buick cars)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DISTR...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Greetings,
Spotted a Sun Distributor tester that is actually close enough to where I live to consider a road trip to go get it.

What I've learned in general is that I don't have a clue why there are so many different models of Sun machines.

Before I bother bidding -

Can anyone tell me if this particular model (providing it works and is complete) would be fine for a generic GM distributor (50's through 70's Chevy, Olds, Buick cars)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DISTR...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks,
Jeff
I have an early red one and it works great (have had it for about 20 years now). Recently I modified it a little (eliminated the 2 "D" battery cells, and use small plug-in DC sources instead - but still need the large 12 volt battery), and did a full "tune up" on the machine, and it probably works almost like new now. I do have a Strobotach (strobe type tachometer) that I use to verify RPMs, along with an external tach to triple check RPM. And double check the dwell readings with the Sun Machine (the Sun Machine readings can drift due to "old age" (as can we all).

Also, note that the drive wheel should never be left engaged (when shut down). Someone prior to me did, and left a flat spot on the rubber wheel, which caused the machine to be noisy. When I did the recent overhaul, I changed the rubber wheel to a machined aluminum piece with an "O" ring groove (and a 3/16" thick "O" ring), and with easily replaced "O" rings don't need to worry anymore. It now is very quiet and smooth.

And yes, there are a great many different models. I do have some literature (usage, schematic, and adjustment) that helped me overhaul mine. I will be happy to share what I have, but doubt that it will be for that exact model. The unit shown does not have the 2 "D" cell sections, so it must be a later unit (good!). Have never seen a blue one before.

Have also made a small add-on box, so I can do HEI distributors. So yes, it should work just fine for all point type distributors (and then some).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-16-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have an old Allen Test machine. How did you make your add-on box to do HEI?
Can you do any electronic distributor such as old Chrysler and Ford units?
Thanks, Joe
Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
I have an early red one and it works great (have had it for about 20 years now). Recently I modified it a little (eliminated the 2 "D" battery cells, and use small plug-in DC sources instead - but still need the large 12 volt battery), and did a full "tune up" on the machine, and it probably works almost like new now. I do have a Strobotach (strobe type tachometer) that I use to verify RPMs, along with an external tach to triple check RPM. And double check the dwell readings with the Sun Machine (the Sun Machine readings can drift due to "old age" (as can we all).

Also, note that the drive wheel should never be left engaged (when shut down). Someone prior to me did, and left a flat spot on the rubber wheel, which caused the machine to be noisy. When I did the recent overhaul, I changed the rubber wheel to a machined aluminum piece with an "O" ring groove (and a 3/16" thick "O" ring), and with easily replaced "O" rings don't need to worry anymore. It now is very quiet and smooth.

And yes, there are a great many different models. I do have some literature (usage, schematic, and adjustment) that helped me overhaul mine. I will be happy to share what I have, but doubt that it will be for that exact model. The unit shown does not have the 2 "D" cell sections, so it must be a later unit (good!). Have never seen a blue one before.

Have also made a small add-on box, so I can do HEI distributors. So yes, it should work just fine for all point type distributors (and then some).

Plasticman
would love to find a good condition Sun Distributor machine local to buy.
I see them on eBay now and than but the good ones are expensive and always far away from me and always listed as "will not ship".
Amazing the price these are going for now, so many shops have told me that in the 80's they got tired of having these things around since they never used them anymore and after having it sit collecting dust year after year they just threw the things away or sold them cheap for around $100.
Now good ones are costing $500-$1,000
Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by plaidside
I have an old Allen Test machine. How did you make your add-on box to do HEI?
Can you do any electronic distributor such as old Chrysler and Ford units?
Thanks, Joe
Joe,

Have sent an email.

Have only used it on GM HEI distributors (older units with mechanical advance only). I used a HEI (vehicle side) connector so it plugs right into a HEI dist.

Might work on other brands (with a connector change), but no first hand knowledge. Would need to see each vehicle's schematic to see what was required, and confirm they had a "tach" output like the HEI (that was usable with the Sun machine's input).

John (plasticman)
Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have an early red one and it works great (have had it for about 20 years now). ...

Plasticman
Thank you for your feedback. This might make a good excuse for a road trip.

Jeff
Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Thank you for your feedback. This might make a good excuse for a road trip.

Jeff
As you stated, they did use many different models, over the years.

The model shown for sale is PDT-S. Don't know the vintage, since I can not find any info for them on the internet.

I have the SDT (which I think was the original version), and I have the instruction manual for it, but not the repair manual(s). I do have the repair manuals for the U-600 (Volt/Dwell Unit), U-610 (Tach /Dwell unit), the U-620 (Dist. Drive Unit), and the U-630 (Vacuum Tester). All of these Unit Repair Manuals are from different "newer" models, but close enough so that I could modify and adjust my model.

Plus I have an Instruction Manual for the 404 / 504 units.

Good luck,
Plasticman
Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Plasticman again.

Finding one of these things that works and is close enough to go get it and avoid shipping something heavy ($$) is a hard thing to do.

Hopefully this one will work out for me. I just want to learn more about my distributors, mess with the advance, etc. and a distributor machine would be perfect for playing around with that.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Rouven
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello @Plasticman, I've come across your post here. We're a small workshop in Germany and very recently acquired a Sun testing machine. Both distributor and motor tester. Unfortunately the motor tester is not working yet and I would love to have it running again and live. I've been searching through the entire web to find some repair manuals without luck. Can you please reach out to me, that would be fantastic. Thanks so much! Rouven
Old 07-03-2020, 09:15 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

(Dude, you're responding to a 12 year old thread. Plasticman (John B.) may not even recall this thread. I recommend that you send him a Private Message (PM) instead.)
The following users liked this post:
mike coletta (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Rouven
Hello @Plasticman, I've come across your post here. We're a small workshop in Germany and very recently acquired a Sun testing machine. Both distributor and motor tester. Unfortunately the motor tester is not working yet and I would love to have it running again and live. I've been searching through the entire web to find some repair manuals without luck. Can you please reach out to me, that would be fantastic. Thanks so much! Rouven
Have you tried Ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+engine+tester
Old 07-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rouven
Rouven,

I am still around, and remember this thread.
I do not know anything about the Motor Testers, so doubt I can be of much help there.
I did recently upgrade my Distributor tester (Sun Machine) to a solid state electronic circuit with a LED flasher (much brighter and more reliable), via a kit supplied by a gent in Canada. Send me a PM, and I can send you his email address. Perhaps he can also help you with the Motor Tester.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-03-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:59 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 617 Likes on 410 Posts

Rouven,

I am still around, and remember this thread.
I do not know anything about the Motor Testers, so doubt I can be of much help there.
I did recently upgrade my Distributor tester (Sun Machine) to a solid state electronic circuit with a LED flasher (much brighter and more reliable), via a kit supplied by a gent in Canada. Send me a PM, and I can send you his email address. Perhaps he can also help you with the Motor Tester.

Plasticman
For those who are interested in having a distributor machine, attached is an article I wrote in 2019 about how to build your own distributor machine for under $100.

If you study what the original Sun machine does and how it does it, it's pretty easy to duplicate that function with a modern dial-back timing light and a fixture that will spin the distributor at any desired speed. Several people have built the design described in this article and have told me they are very happy with it.

Also, in case anyone wants the actual Sun machine photographed in this article, I will sell it cheap to anyone who will come and pick it up (Boston area). I have rebuilt the mechanical portion but the electronics still need attention. The rpm and dwell meters do not read correctly.
Attached Images

Get notified of new replies

To Would this Sun distributor machine work for me?

Quick Reply: Would this Sun distributor machine work for me?