C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

widest wheel/tire for offset trailing arms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Default widest wheel/tire for offset trailing arms?

hi guys,
i did some forum archive searching and have seen a lot of mixed topics.. my specific question is how wide of a wheel and tire, with what backspacing can i get away with if using offset trailing arms and a glass leaf spring? this is for a '64 vert, original frame and body.

here are pictures of some wheels i'm considering and if anybody knows where to get Goodyear's like the ones on the Cobra, please let me know! Also looking for a source for the Halibrand style wheels that use 5 lugs with the fake spinner? Prefer the safety of 5 lugs..

Last edited by mikey; 07-19-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:03 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The wheels you are looking for (and many others also) are available from PS Engineering:

http://www.psewheels.com/

Jim
Old 07-19-2008, 10:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Mikey,

What is your usage? How many miles do you drive your car, per month...per year???
Cobras have ALWAYS been allowed larger tires and larger fenders in "period preparation" under various sanctioning organizaation guidelines than similar year Corvettes. That's because in the 60s Cobras actually ran larger fenders and tires.

I run Hoosier 275X60-15s on my 63 Corvette. Many run only 245s. However, as you can see, Cobras beat Corvettes in the 60s and they STILL beat Corvettes! Do you have a problem with that? If so, please come out on track and show us (old farts) how to beat them.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Check this link for the tires:

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/Cobra/
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Check this link for the tires:

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/Cobra/
Great link and good thread

I am with the OP on Halibrand..... they have the look and are time period correct.

Personally I want to use my KO's and have them widened with as much backspace as possible to use with offset TA's. For street use I am thinking of Nitto 275/15's DR's until I can make other changes to reconfigure for autocross/RR use but I am not sure of the fit with stock wheel wells....... would be nice to hear from those who have been down this path before.

Doug
Old 07-20-2008, 10:12 AM
66CorvetteCoupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wide Wheels

Originally Posted by mikey
hi guys,
i did some forum archive searching and have seen a lot of mixed topics.. my specific question is how wide of a wheel and tire, with what backspacing can i get away with if using offset trailing arms and a glass leaf spring? this is for a '64 vert, original frame and body.

here are pictures of some wheels i'm considering and if anybody knows where to get Goodyear's like the ones on the Cobra, please let me know! Also looking for a source for the Halibrand style wheels that use 5 lugs with the fake spinner? Prefer the safety of 5 lugs..

Mikey,
Those are 15x10 American Torgue Thrust D old style wheels with American Racing Carlisle spinners. They have a 4" backspace and work just fine on my car with with the factory trailing arms. The tires are 295 50x15 BFGs. Thanks for showing my car, here is a look from the rear.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:47 AM
mikey
Melting Slicks

thanks all for the feedback thus far. my useage plans for the car are about 500 miles/month when it gets done.. racing will be limited to autocross and club track days, and exhibition stuff where the risk of fender bangin' is low..

63corvette: i haven't had any problems with the cobra replicars thus far, but i've only been racing against them in my 2001 z06. i'll have to get back with you once i get my '64 onto the track.. the LS2 and tremec 5 spd should help a lot, along with upgraded suspension and brakes. i'm not attempting to be within any specific class rules, as my useage plans don't call for any dedicated series participation.

66corvettecoupe: you're welcome and thanks! i don't recall when i first saw a pic of your car, but i filed it into my folder for "project ideas".. i like the wheels w/ spinners on yours as much as i like the halibrand style. i'd love to get 295's on my car, but no fender flares on my '64 so i need to work with offset trailing arms and more backspacing.. hopefully somebody will eventually pipe in with an answer for my exact setup.

jim and dr. L-88, thanks for the links!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 AM
vettegozzzz
Racer

Here are pix of 9.5x17 American Racing wheels with 285 tires. I've installed the VBP suspension with a 1" shortened fiberglass spring and Vansteel offset trailing arms. These wheels are from the front of my son's 70 chevelle and are too wide for the vette, just a test fit. I hope to end up with 9X17 wheels.

I think these wheels look great on the vette with the right tire profile. MY 65 coupe will be silver pearl.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 AM
mikey
Melting Slicks

vettegozzzz:
thanks. do you have any pictures with the car sitting on the ground? also do you know the backspacing on those wheels? how much clearance was left on the backside?

if I could trouble you for a couple more pics of that test fit, I'd like to see one from the front looking more straight back down the side of the car and one from the rear at just enough angle to see the top of the wheel well. it is just a little difficult to determine how much the tires are sticking out on the test fit you did.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM
vettegozzzz
Racer

Sorry, no more pix. I had my son over Saturday to put this wheel from his chevelle on my car to see how it looked and get a rough idea of how the size would compare with what I might need. I also purchased a wheel/tire fitment tool from Jegs to help with determining wheel size.

This wheel size is 9.5X17, 5.5" backspace and 275X40 tire. The clearance at the back was approximately 1" and the tire extended outside of the fender lip approximately 1".

It was our guess that I would be pushing the clearance with a 9X17" wheel with a 5.75 backspace and a 265X40 tire.

Vansteel says you can run a 9X17 wheel with a 6" backspace and a 255/40 tire if you use a 1" shortened spring and no swaybar. I still haven't decided. I want the widest combo, with the fullest fender to give me the best muscle car look. I'm thinking of ordering the 9X17" wheel with a 6" backspace. I can then adjust the backspace to 5.5 with spacers if needed, and go to a local tire shop to have the right profile tires fitted. Also, the American Racing wheels cost less than the PS engineering wheels in case you're interested.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

thanks! that was exactly the information I was looking for!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 PM
vettegozzzz
Racer

Did more measuring today. I learned that there are more details to consider, mainly with wheel/tire manufactures. They all vary somewhat in width and size.

Also ruled out American Racing Cobra wheels because they're not available in 9", only 8" or 9.5"....so I'm now looking at Team III or Vintage Works Cobra style wheels.

I also found a very helpful wheel/tire calculator at www.rims-n-tires.com/info_spec.jsp.

My findings today would mean that the max. wheel size would be 9X17 with a 5.75 backspace and maybe a 255X45 tire. Clearance at the inside front of the tire and the frame, as-well-as the fender lip at the top are very tight.

Another concern is that more backspace means less outside wheel lip...less of a muscle car look.

I have the VBP suspension with a 1" shortened spring and Vansteel double off-set trailing arms. Plan to lower up to 2" from stock.

Get notified of new replies

To widest wheel/tire for offset trailing arms?

Quick Reply: widest wheel/tire for offset trailing arms?