C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

antother ZDDP additive/oil question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Default antother ZDDP additive/oil question

After reading all the info on oils I checked into my alternatives. I recently bought the Comp Cams additive and added it to my fresh 10w30 Pensoil oil change. However, I thought that the best idea was to just change the oil with Mobile racing oil to be safe. I discovered that it was only sold as 20w50.
My question is: Am I ok with just adding the Comp Cams additive or is it better to use mobile 20w50? Is 20w50 ok to use?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I did about the same thing.

I purchased a few 4 oz. bottles of ZDDPlus from Corvette Central and added one to my Mobil One oil.

Rather than change over to a different type of oil, I want to continue using synthetic because my '65 overheats once in a while. Also I can choose the viscosity that best suits my driving conditions.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:23 AM
tominohio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran 20-50W in my Corvettes since the mid 60's with no problems even in Ohio year round.
I fly aircraft and mix 5 gallons of 110 aviation leaded in every other tank so synthetic oil is out of the question. Synthetic oil can't handle lead very well which is why no total synthetic oils are approved for aviation.
I run Brad Penn Racing 20-50 in my "66" which still has more than enough Zinc in it's blend.
Tom in Ohio
Old 07-20-2008, 10:37 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Default What about that old "standby"............

................STP? I think I remember that it has a very high concentration of Zinc and phosphorous, in addition to the glacial viscosity? Maybe it would help in small doses as long as not enough was used to make the viscosity too high and slow down the return rate to the pan/pump?

Anybody know? Any thoughts?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-20-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-20-2008, 10:57 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

acc to NCRS

any oil that has CI4 or CJ4 ranked first in the series of standards that the oil meets(in the circular logo on the can) is fine without additives. why use additives when the correct oil exists everywhere.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L72
acc to NCRS

any oil that has CI4 or CJ4 ranked first in the series of standards that the oil meets(in the circular logo on the can) is fine without additives. why use additives when the correct oil exists everywhere.

Most auto manufactors discourage the use of additives when performing oil changes and is cause for voiding the warranty. Most ZDDP additives are NOT ASHLESS and long term use can lead to severe coking of the combustion chambers and pistons. Use CI-4 or CJ-4 for stock valve trains. As for the Comp Cam, Isky and Lunati camp perhaps you should contact your respective tech lines and see what they recommend.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
................STP? I think I remember that it has a very high concentration of Zinc and phosphorous, in addition to the glacial viscosity? Maybe it would help in small doses as long as not enough was used to make the viscosity too high and slow down the return rate to the pan/pump?

Anybody know? Any thoughts?

As I was told long ago, STP is first, basically a viscosity index improver, with additional "improvements" over the years (meaning that it's main purpose was to thicken and widen the basic viscosity range of any oil that it is added to). If you want a thicker and wider viscosity range oil, then why not buy one in the first place? Also, viscosity index improver additives are one of the first to break down over time/usage.

But I guess I am just being cranky today, since I don't understand why guys keeping asking about the right oil to use in flat tappet engines. What part of "Use only CI-4 or CJ-4 rated oil" don't they understand?

Plasticman
Old 07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
As I was told long ago, STP is first, basically a viscosity index improver, with additional "improvements" over the years (meaning that it's main purpose was to thicken and widen the basic viscosity range of any oil that it is added to). If you want a thicker and wider viscosity range oil, then why not buy one in the first place? Also, viscosity index improver additives are one of the first to break down over time/usage.

But I guess I am just being cranky today, since I don't understand why guys keeping asking about the right oil to use in flat tappet engines. What part of "Use only CI-4 or CJ-4 rated oil" don't they understand?

Plasticman
I think he means the STP that is a zddp additive (says so on the bottle), not that old STP stuff that was clear and basically fell to the bottom of the oil pan and stayed there. On a similar point, some one said they added a zddp additive to synthetic oil. I wonder if the two actually mix together or stay suspended ?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
I think he means the STP that is a zddp additive (says so on the bottle), not that old STP stuff that was clear and basically fell to the bottom of the oil pan and stayed there. On a similar point, some one said they added a zddp additive to synthetic oil. I wonder if the two actually mix together or stay suspended ?
Don't see any such animal on the STP website. Just the same old standard STP Oil Treatment, which states: Fights Friction to Help Protect Against Engine Wear by Providing a Thicker Cushion Between Moving Engine Parts

Sounds like a thickener to me.

http://www.stp.com/oil_additives.html

There is also a 4 cylinder Oil Treatment that states: Increased Anti-Wear Protection, but it also says: Specially formulated to fight metal-to-metal friction by providing a thicker cushion between moving parts.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-20-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Plasticman

I agree, I get tired of beating this same old dead horse. I'll continue to use diesel motor oil like I have for years and everyone else can use whatever they want.

Jim
Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Don't know what the website says, but the bottle of STP I looked at at Pep Boys a few weeks ago said Contains ZDDP.

Doug
Old 07-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
I agree, I get tired of beating this same old dead horse. I'll continue to use diesel motor oil like I have for years and everyone else can use whatever they want.

Jim
Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Don't see any such animal on the STP website. Just the same old standard STP Oil Treatment, which states: Fights Friction to Help Protect Against Engine Wear by Providing a Thicker Cushion Between Moving Engine Parts

Sounds like a thickener to me.

http://www.stp.com/oil_additives.html

There is also a 4 cylinder Oil Treatment that states: Increased Anti-Wear Protection, but it also says: Specially formulated to fight metal-to-metal friction by providing a thicker cushion between moving parts.

Plasticman

I don't know what the site says. I have a bottle, blue color, that is a metal protector from STP with the notation that it contains zddp. I bought some at wally-mart last year. Not sure if it's still available as I haven't reectnly looked. I bought over 6 cases of gallons of the old Rotella, so I have a few years before I have to worry about changing to something else.

I just found the bottle in the barn. The description is as you noted above, but it does note that zddp is in it on the front label. On the back zddp is the second of two listed compounds. It cost about $2.50 and if still available is probably just the same as what others sell for up to $10 or more.

Last edited by GCD1962; 07-20-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added:
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM
dizzydale
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tominohio
I ran 20-50W in my Corvettes since the mid 60's with no problems even in Ohio year round.
I fly aircraft and mix 5 gallons of 110 aviation leaded in every other tank so synthetic oil is out of the question. Synthetic oil can't handle lead very well which is why no total synthetic oils are approved for aviation.
I run Brad Penn Racing 20-50 in my "66" which still has more than enough Zinc in it's blend.
Tom in Ohio
Hey Tom,The OLD Kendall,the GREEN stuff.Good enough for The Swamp Rat it's good enough for me .diz

Get notified of new replies

To antother ZDDP additive/oil question

Quick Reply: antother ZDDP additive/oil question