C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restoration cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:24 AM
RichNJshore
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoration cost

I know this is a broad question, but how much does a typical frame off restoration cost on a c2 daily driver in decent shape. I know that the sky is pretty much the limit, but what about starting costs?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:26 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically, the cost of a frame-off would exceed the car's value beforehand.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 AM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Are you doing the work or a reputable shop? If you are sending a driver quality car out, I have heard the cost of the car + $70-100k is normal for parts and labor.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM
babylonvette
Burning Brakes

that about what it cost,on a 59 i quoted a customer 3 years ago about 50 without paint and bodywook installing his rebuilt drivetrain its almost done and the final is going to come in about 60 but the customer seams to stray away from the normal the interior and new chrome add a lot of money to the final price and they also say ,i have all the parts then you find that they are lost or bad so you have to find replacements ,not so easy on a 50year old car
Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it will really depend on what you have going in. Figure on 1000 hours of labor at whatever the rates is at your shop. Then add in new/repro/refurbishment of parts.

75-100k is probably ball park if you shop it all out. Less if you are doing most of the work yourself.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 AM
RichNJshore
Cruising

Thanks for the numbers;

I am looking at a nice 64 roadster Nasau Blue. Nice driver. I know the owner well. He has had it about 6 years and is verrrrrrry meticulous. Non matching, the only problms are some small paint bubbles. Perfect for my desires right now, but you know the corvette bug. I was at a show last night and I just can't decide what I want to buy. Since i am getting a good price on the C2 I was thinking about a nice C3 to go along with it...(don't tell my wife LOL) or considering doing a frame off on the C2. It seems from the numbers here that it would be better to buy a decent C3. I think I'd like to be able to participate in a classic show, not really go to win.

I have a C4 now...that is what infected me.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 AM
greg57
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default restoration

if you deal with a shop in babylon you need to factor in your stolen parts
Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Dick Horzen
Pro

Originally Posted by greg57
if you deal with a shop in babylon you need to factor in your stolen parts
Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

My son and I recently started a frame off on a '64. Paid 25K for the car. It had been stored in a garage in California and unregistered for the last 25 years. Frame and body are near perfect, though seriously dirty. Yes, it had a clean title.
We will not do an NCRS correct resto, this is a fun car and will be slightly hotrodded. This is a cheaper way to go IMHO, and I don't need the headache of correct bolt head markings, etc., etc., etc. Thus far we have spent about 10K in bits and pieces, and expect to spend another 15 to 25. We will do all the work except paint, but we will do the initial prep.

Though this is not up to date, maybe my son will update after this weekend. We will take the frame to the powdercoater next week.

http://bshadel.googlepages.com/teardown
Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Rob-classof'64
Racer

I guess you realize that Nassau Blue was not offered in '64. If you want to return to the original color the going rate seems to be about $10k.
A new engine can easily run $10k or more installed.

The list goes on and on even for a fun driver; depending on what has been done in the recent past. You are dealing with a 45 year old car, and a rebuild of things with rubber parts done 10 years ago probably needs to be redone; as rubber has a life of about 7 years. Still you have to love a mid-year.

Rob
Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,612 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Well if you're new to c2 or c3 vettes I would do some research as I'm sure you will.

If you're doing the work yourself then you can save a lot and know what was done. If you farm it out I would call some previous customers and talk with them. Reagardless if you're quoted 10,20,40,50k call.

I've told the story of my brother-in-law with his 63 SWC. Had a vette shop do a body on for $40-45k and I found the box so bad I had to go through the whole thing adding new gears. All they did was paint it and install 2 seals. Now I'm not saying all shops are like this but that's why I would talk to the customers. If you can't get a reference list, move on.

I can tell you that the work I do on the boxes, diffs, arms runs about $3k, add in your engine, tranny, suspension bushings, front end kit, lines, brakes,etc it all adds up.

We did a 75, less paint, complete drivetrain,suspension, brakes, interior for $8k in parts 5 years ago. The car tracks like on rails. The labor for that job would have probably been about 15-20K.

Good luck with your project if you go ahead. I'd like to get a 63-67 less drive train and build it into a nice street car I'd drive anywhere.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:51 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If paint and body is part of the deal, based on what I have done to mine lately, I cannot imagine getting by for much less than $45K.
Harry
Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it depends on what you consider a restoration. The prices above are for NCRS correct body off restoration. That kind of money should make it look factory new. I agree, a lot depends on if you want turn-key or how much you plan to do on your own. If you are not planning on doing much work your self, you really need to find a shop near you and discuss what the car needs and costs.

You are looking at a 64 with a non-correct engine so farmed out body off money would be down the drain. A body off gives the nicest car, frame clean and painted, everything looks new. A body on can be done for much less. If the engine is good, all new suspension and brakes can be done for much less and provide a good driver which is what it sounds like you are looking for. Since it's a NOM already, modifications can be done like disk brakes, newer suspension, etc so you can make it yours.

You mention going with a C3 instead, will that really save you money? Still a 30-40 year old car, only real difference is upfront cost. Under the covers, they are pretty much the same car. Restoration cost will be the same.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:11 PM
a560156
Drifting

Originally Posted by RichNJshore
I know this is a broad question, but how much does a typical frame off restoration cost on a c2 daily driver in decent shape. I know that the sky is pretty much the limit, but what about starting costs?
Rich, as with most things, the answer is, it depends. What is the end game post-restoration? Nice driver/local show-n-shine or NCRS Duntov? Big difference in cost (ask me how I know). Also, we don't know where you are starting from. What parts are missing? Cost to acquire the car? All this plays into it.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by RichNJshore
Thanks for the numbers;

I am looking at a nice 64 roadster Nasau Blue. Nice driver. I know the owner well. He has had it about 6 years and is verrrrrrry meticulous. Non matching, the only problms are some small paint bubbles. Perfect for my desires right now, but you know the corvette bug. I was at a show last night and I just can't decide what I want to buy. Since i am getting a good price on the C2 I was thinking about a nice C3 to go along with it...(don't tell my wife LOL) or considering doing a frame off on the C2. It seems from the numbers here that it would be better to buy a decent C3. I think I'd like to be able to participate in a classic show, not really go to win.

I have a C4 now...that is what infected me.

Rich, I am doing a 64 Coupe now (in your area). I have done all the work myself, except the paint. At the end of the day, it is going to depend on what you want it to become. Nice driver to cruise to shows? or Pay big $$$ for a non matching numbers show car. I chose to refurbish and restore as much of the car's original parts as practical. More labor, but less bad fitting repo parts and lower end cost with the goal of making a VERY nice driver to my own preference that I will enjoy and touch up as necessary. If you took a similar route, and limited the work to a body on resto, and were willing to get your hands dirty, you could come in much closer to a price that the done car would fetch if you ever wanted to sell it. Glad to see a few more c2's at the shore. Pilot Dan
Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I did my body-off project for $9,000.00 in parts (no paint) and a little over 300 labor hours. I figure doing it myself saved me at least $20,000.00 in labor. My goal was to make my Coupe a reliable driver that looks somewhat original. I would not trade doing that job fmyself or anything. I know the exact condition of every nut & bolt on the car. Check out this link to my body-off project.
Roy

Last edited by 67-427ci; 08-14-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Unless you are doing the work yourself, minus paint, machine work, etc, restoring a C2 vette or any for that matter is a loosing deal. Most placed make them look nice, but as GTR1999 pointed out, the attention to detail, and all the litte things add up, and to pay someone to spend that kind of time on something is going to cost cubic dollars.

Basket case cars go for 20k, and another 50K to finish them??? 55K will buy a nice C2.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Restoration cost

Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 1BAD-LS1
Are you doing the work or a reputable shop? If you are sending a driver quality car out, I have heard the cost of the car + $70-100k is normal for parts and labor.
yup...it is in that neighborhood for sure....
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Classicvette63
Burning Brakes

Like my Daddy once said, "If you gotta ask, you can't afford it." Should have listened to him. Had a decent driver '63. Smacked a telephone pole doing 75 with it. Decided to go hog wild nuts and make it a perfect street rod. Would have been better off just buying another one.

Want to know how to make a small fortune restoring an old corvette? Start out with a large fortune. You will be upside down before the car is even close to being assembled.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:05 AM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

I would tend to agree, much less expensive to purchase a 'done' car and enjoy it now. Somewhere in the mod $50's will get you a show quality small block mid-year. Keep shopping

Quick Reply: Restoration cost