C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone know what became of Byrns Chevrolet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone know what became of Byrns Chevrolet?

A friend of mine helping a client restore a 1967 big block Vette and wants to trace it's history. Unfortunately, he is having difficulty getting any facts relative to it's very early history and from-the-factory options. Apparently, no tank sticker remains on the car.

He has been told by the most recent owner that the dealer who originally sold the car back in '67 was Byrns Chevrolet in White Plains, NY. He is looking for anyone who used to work there who might still have access to their 1967 sales records to ascertain original options, etc.

Any of you recall Byrns or know of any old employees that still might be reachable? I know it's a long shot, but I told my friend I'd ask the vast resevoir of knowledge accessable on our Forum.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Byrns Brothers Chevrolet
Virginia Road

White Plains , NY

Zone 2 Dealer #091

Last edited by Donald #31176; 09-18-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

It closed more than a few years ago. There's a Honda dealer there now.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

I'm still hoping that someone out there might know the name/contact info an ex-employee of Byrns Chevrolet who might have access to
'67 Corvette sales records.

I've passed along your responses to my friend who will continue to search the history of his client's '67 big block.

Again, thanks.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:37 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Not that it matters but my 67 comes from Byrnes also. Al W.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:49 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Byrns was one of the biggest Chev dealers in the area at the time. One of biggest Ford dealers was Kolb Ford in White Plains.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Byrne brothers chevrolet

I grew up about 5 miles away from Byrne Brothers Chevrolet in Elmsford, New York.
BYRNE BROTHERS CHEVROLET was originally on Central Avenue in White Plains, New York, opposite the Westchester County Center parking lot, and then in the mid to late 60's they built a state of the art dealership in North White Plains on Virginia Road. A friend of mine, Ralph Raneiri, was the parts manager there, but he must be dead by now--He was at least 20 years older than me. Another friend of mine, Jerry Roberts also worked in the parts department, but I lost track of him when he moved out of state about 5-10 years ago. The general manager of the new dealership in North White Plains was Connie Petruzzi, but I saw his obituary in my local paper a couple of years ago. When they closed up, one of the "Byrne Brothers", Tim Byrne opened up his own dealership, T. A. Byrne Chevrolet in Mount Kisco, New York. That only lasted a couple of years, and it is now owned by GM and is known as Mount Kisco Chevrolet. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who can help your friend.

RON
Old 09-21-2008, 12:17 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not that it matters for this thread, but I have a friend whose COPO Camaro was originally sold from Byrne Brothers Chevrolet. They had a ton of hi performance cars come out of their dealership.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 PM
tjbyrnes15
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Byrne Bros Chevy, White Plains, NY

The original owner of my 1965 corvette convertible (built Aug 1964) blew the original 327/365hp in 1965 and bought a Counter Exchange complete engine from Byrne Bros Chevy on 10/8/65 (my birthday), I have the receipt - how coincidental as my name is Tom BYRNEs

Last edited by tjbyrnes15; 06-28-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra66
A friend of mine helping a client restore a 1967 big block Vette and wants to trace it's history. Unfortunately, he is having difficulty getting any facts relative to it's very early history and from-the-factory options. Apparently, no tank sticker remains on the car.

He has been told by the most recent owner that the dealer who originally sold the car back in '67 was Byrns Chevrolet in White Plains, NY. He is looking for anyone who used to work there who might still have access to their 1967 sales records to ascertain original options, etc.

Any of you recall Byrns or know of any old employees that still might be reachable? I know it's a long shot, but I told my friend I'd ask the vast resevoir of knowledge accessable on our Forum.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
I would have your friend use the NCRS Service that will identify the selling dealer and location based on the VIN. That way you will know exactly where the car was delivered/sold to begin your search.

Secondhand info regarding a 45 year old car can be misleading.

Larry
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM
jazzwalk
1st Gear

Default Locating People

Mr. Goldstein:

I am looking to speak with some of the employees of either T.A Byrne or Byrne Brothers and though I have a list of names, I have been unable to locate anyone so I turned to the internet. I am not coming up with much but saw the below post and thought maybe you were in contact with someone who might be able to provide me with contact information.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Andrew
Andrewckaye@gmail.com

Originally Posted by rongold
I grew up about 5 miles away from Byrne Brothers Chevrolet in Elmsford, New York.
BYRNE BROTHERS CHEVROLET was originally on Central Avenue in White Plains, New York, opposite the Westchester County Center parking lot, and then in the mid to late 60's they built a state of the art dealership in North White Plains on Virginia Road. A friend of mine, Ralph Raneiri, was the parts manager there, but he must be dead by now--He was at least 20 years older than me. Another friend of mine, Jerry Roberts also worked in the parts department, but I lost track of him when he moved out of state about 5-10 years ago. The general manager of the new dealership in North White Plains was Connie Petruzzi, but I saw his obituary in my local paper a couple of years ago. When they closed up, one of the "Byrne Brothers", Tim Byrne opened up his own dealership, T. A. Byrne Chevrolet in Mount Kisco, New York. That only lasted a couple of years, and it is now owned by GM and is known as Mount Kisco Chevrolet. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who can help your friend.

RON
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
rongold
Drifting

Originally Posted by jazzwalk
Mr. Goldstein:

I am looking to speak with some of the employees of either T.A Byrne or Byrne Brothers and though I have a list of names, I have been unable to locate anyone so I turned to the internet. I am not coming up with much but saw the below post and thought maybe you were in contact with someone who might be able to provide me with contact information.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Andrew
Andrewckaye@gmail.com

Andrew, I really can't help you, as I lost contact with everyone there. The 1 friend of mine who worked in the parts department was Jerry Roberts. He moved out of NY about 10 years ago, possibly to Vermont. Try doing a search on his name. He was originally from Yonkers, NY, and when Byrne Brothers closed, he started working at Frank Chevrolet (now also closed) in Tarrytown, NY. He should be about a year or 2 younger than me, which would make him about 65 or 66. Good Luck.

RON
Old 12-16-2013, 06:41 PM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I grew up in valhalla NY which is the small village which was one block from Byrne Brothers Chevrolet. In 1969 I went to Westchester Comm. College which was on Virginia Road about a quarter mile from Byrne Brothers and used to pass it every day doing my commute to school from Yonkers NY. BTW in 1969 my daily driver to school was a Honduras maroon 1962 Corvette....I had the occasion to stop in their parts dept on more than one occasion.

Don
Old 12-16-2013, 06:45 PM
rongold
Drifting

Default Wcc

Originally Posted by wraplock
I grew up in valhalla NY which is the small village which was one block from Byrne Brothers Chevrolet. In 1969 I went to Westchester Comm. College which was on Virginia Road about a quarter mile from Byrne Brothers and used to pass it every day doing my commute to school from Yonkers NY. BTW in 1969 my daily driver to school was a Honduras maroon 1962 Corvette....I had the occasion to stop in their parts dept on more than one occasion.

Don
I went to WCC also 64-66. My daily driver then was a 60 Impala 335 HP 348.

RON
Old 12-17-2013, 08:12 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
I went to WCC also 64-66. My daily driver then was a 60 Impala 335 HP 348.

RON
Ron

I see your from Put Valley. For 10 years I kept my horse at a ranch on Oscawana lake Rd. First at The old Ianelli ranch then next door a Bruce Gabarri's place. I used to ride all around that area. Loved it! I live in Montrose just below Peekskill on the Hudson river. My avatar was taken at the Bear Mountain Cruise a few years ago.

Don
Old 11-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Real69Z27
1st Gear

I know this is a pretty old thread, I have a 1969 SS 396 Camaro that was purchased at Bryne Bros on Virginia Rd. Does anyone have pictures of the dealership or know what is there now ? Thanks !

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know what became of Byrns Chevrolet?

Quick Reply: Anyone know what became of Byrns Chevrolet?