C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why Clutch Pedal Vibration After New Clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:43 PM
pchalpin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why Clutch Pedal Vibration After New Clutch??

Had Centerforce clutch, TO bearing, pilot bushing, flywheel resurface, etc. done about 50 miles ago. In all gears (just cruising along like an old guy) the clutch pedal vibrates. I can feel it with my foot. It's not a huge vibration, but it vibrates faster the faster I go. (No noises are occurring and there is no vibration when rolling down a hill in neutral with the pedal not depressed.) I depress the clutch pedal about an inch and the vibration stops. Never had pedal vibration with the old clutch, even when it needed to be replaced.

I'm stumped, and I am hoping to get some ideas from you before I go back to the shop that did the installation. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Is the clutch linkage adjusted correctly? You should have at least an inch of pedal free travel from the fully-up position (pedal arm up against the rubber bumper) to the point where you feel resistance when you depress the pedal (when the throwout bearing contacts the clutch fingers); also make sure your clutch return spring is in place (from the top arm on the cross shaft to the firewall).
Old 09-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Agree with John.....appears that your throwout bearing is lightly riding on the pressure plate fingers/levers and is rotating with the pressure plate. Need to readjust clutch, or install a new/stronger clutch return spring.

I have experienced this same problem a few times over the years, and simply readjust the throw-out bearing for additional clearance per factory specs.

Larry
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Agree with John.....appears that your throwout bearing is lightly riding on the pressure plate fingers/levers and is rotating with the pressure plate. Need to readjust clutch, or install a new/stronger clutch return spring.

I have experienced this same problem a few times over the years, and simply readjust the throw-out bearing for additional clearance per factory specs.

Larry
+2 It does sound like the clutch is adjusted too far and the bearing is riding slightly on the fingers of the pressure plate. Is this a diaphram style plate (20+ little fingers) or a Borg & Beck type with 3 fingers? I Have never seen a diaphram style where all of the 20+ fingers were equal in height. If the bearing were too close and catching a few of the "higher" fingers, it would cause exactly what you are describing.

General rule of thumb is you need a 1/4" gap between the face of the bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate. From there, you can fine tune it to get the feel you're accustomed to. You'll also need to verify the air gap. This is done by (after you've adjusted the clutch) inserting a feeler guage between the disc and the flywheel when the pedal is pushed to floor. Specs call for .030"-.080". We generally set them at .030"(for diaphram style). This ensures that you have the correct dis-engagement of the clutch. The air gap is corrected by re-adjusting the clutch linkage.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Tech Support
Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 PM
pchalpin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, Larry and Richard:

Thanks so much for your input. I'll talk to the shop later this week, and I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks again,

Peter

Get notified of new replies

To Why Clutch Pedal Vibration After New Clutch??

Quick Reply: Why Clutch Pedal Vibration After New Clutch??