C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Horn - Sounds of Silence

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Default 64 Horn - Sounds of Silence

Horn not working on my 64.

Followed the diagnosis in the Service Manual and both the Horns and the Relay check out.

The Service Manual indicates that the Horn Wiring or the Horn Button is the culprit. But, there are not instructions to diagnose the problem.

I purchased a horn button retainer on which the horn button mounts and tried to ground that, but the horns still do not work.

Would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:12 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Disconnect the steering column connector under the dash and ground the horn wire on the dash harness side to see if the horn honks. Sorry, I don't have the wiring diagram here so I can't tell you the wire color or position in the connector. If the horn doesn't honk, there's a wiring problem between there and the relay. Very likely in the firewall harness connectors. If it honks, look for continuity in the wiring in the column between the connector and the horn button.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simon & Garfunkle would be proud of your post title. Man, I'm dating myself. Bill.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you do all that stuff with the column you should run a wire directly from the positive on the battery to the steering wheel without the horn button and see if you can make it go... if you can , the aftermarket wiring stuff will be the fix, but it is tough to feed down the column. You should meter from the horn button to the plug to see if there is a broken wire in the column, maybe you can replace only one instead of the whole thing... oh yeah and 64's Rule!

Last edited by Tintin; 10-24-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Where is the relay located?
Old 10-26-2008, 10:44 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Where is the relay located?
On C2s usually up front by the radiator. On my 66 it's on the driver side of the radiator.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Took out to car today to have the A/C Vacuum Tested and the horn worked just fine.

Is it possible that some component, thinking "brushes" as labeled in the AIM, corrode over when the car is in storage, and when the steering wheel is turned, the contact is restored?

Silent no longer!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:55 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Took out to car today to have the A/C Vacuum Tested and the horn worked just fine.

Is it possible that some component, thinking "brushes" as labeled in the AIM, corrode over when the car is in storage, and when the steering wheel is turned, the contact is restored?

Silent no longer!!!!
Anything is possible. For a horn that occasionally works, my money would be on the bulkhead connector being loose or corroded, the horns having poor ground or corroded connections, the horn relay connections being corroded, or the ground strap in the column ("rag") joint being broken - since all of those are in the elements under the hood. After that I'd check the steering column connector and the horn button.

I believe the horn relay on a 64 is to the right of the radiator. If the horn stops working, begin testing by looking at the T shaped connector on the relay. Leaving the T connector plugged in, apply a ground wire to the wire/connector in the leg of the T to blow the horn if the harness connection through the bulkhead the column and the horn button is at fault. Applying 12volts to the wire in the hat of the T should blow the horns if the relay is at fault, and the connections at the horns are okay. If the horns don't blow either way, apply 12volts to each of them to test them.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply. When the horns were not working, I tested the relay and it checked out.

I agree with you, it is somewhere from the relay back.

I really hate intermittent electrical problems!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I Had a Similar Problem Too.......

Ended up the problem was corrosion in the horn button. Had to dismantle it, clean it up and assemble it again. It is difficult to see the rust.

Bud.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Horn - Sounds of Silence

Quick Reply: 64 Horn - Sounds of Silence