C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Custom Roadster Possibly for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 63 Custom Roadster Possibly for Sale

Some of you may have watched my build (from 2004 to 2006). I finished the car, showed it in two big shows, won my category both times, and have only put about 200 miles on the car since finishing the car.

I know the economy is bad, but I am considering selling the car. I've already started a dialogue with Barrett Jackson and Russo & Steele. I have over $156k in the car. I know I will not get my full investment out of the car, but I'm debating if I will officially sell the car. Below is a summary of the car, some pictures are in my gallery, but I have binders full of information, manuals, and progress pictures. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to contact me for more information.

CHASSIS:
Frame straightened, sand blasted & painted body color
New front & rear adjustable aftermarket modern Corvette suspension
New oversize drilled and slotted Wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes
New gas tank & gas lines
New 383 Chevy stroker small block engine with tuned port injection: 480 horsepower & 465 foot / lbs of torque
New ceramic silver headers, custom header transitions and one-off custom side pipes
New Keisler 5 speed transmission, new clutch, & scattershield
Miscellaneous: New driveline, rebuilt 3.36 posi rearend, new ½ shafts, & new custom aluminum radiator w/ dual electric fans

EXTERIOR:
Body media blasted while off chassis
Non-essentials (side mirrors, radio antenna, door handles, all emblems, rear view mirror, wipers and cowl grilles, wiper motor, heater, horns) all removed. Firewall holes filled in engine compartment.
Modern Corvette decklid molded into stock decklid
Custom quarter panels with gradual fender flare that retains the original body line
Flush touch-to-open fuel door
Exterior, engine compartment, parts of chassis & interior, all painted in BASF Glasurit products
New 63 hood with custom under support structure & custom functional mesh hood grilles
Custom front mesh grille
Wheels/Tires: Front 17x7 billet wheels with 245/45/17 tires, Rear 18x9 billet wheels with 275/40/18 tires
All new chrome, trim, and hardware where possible

INTERIOR:
Custom fabricated chrome roll bars
Modern Corvette seats with improved bolsters & seat heaters, covered in white & custom dyed leather to match the exterior green paint color
Custom center console with armrest and shifter boot
Modern Corvette fiberglass “waterfall” between seats, roll bar hoops, & center console
Custom dashboard and custom glove box
Custom gauge back panel in dashboard and modified gauge layout
Custom gauges all use matching exterior paint
Custom door panels
Custom transitions built from door panels to rear storage area
New aftermarket ½ wrap billet steering wheel that matches exterior billet wheels
All new heat shield installed below carpet, new carpet, & custom floor mats
New front and rear electrical harnesses
All new weather-stripping

Last edited by OverBudget; 11-05-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 PM
crossram
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it for sale or not? If so, you need to list a price per forum rules
Old 11-04-2008, 10:22 PM
OverBudget
Pro

OK then... The price is $156,469 and highly negotiable.

I'm just trying to see if there is any interest at this point with the audience that I spent most of the build dialoguing with...

Last edited by OverBudget; 11-05-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:32 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBudget
I've already started a dialogue with Barrett Jackson and Russo & Steele.
I'm just trying to see if there is any interest at this point with the audience that I spent most of the build dialoguing with...
Generally, we call this "talking."

Hopefully that pacifies the rules enforcement.
While "dialoguing" with the mods, the snotty part is probably unnecessary.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this all sounds pretentious?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:36 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Sorry everyone. Not trying to be snotty or pretentious.

Just putting feelers out there in a bad economy so that if anyone is interested or knows of anyone interested, would chat before I make a decision to ship my car 1,100 miles and go at risk at an auction for a 8% commission...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Frustrated yet?

It's entirely your call, of course. If you're getting bored now that you have come to the end of the line and want a new challenge, then I'd sell.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 AM
justatoy
Pro

nice car but..... do you think someone is going to pay 156 thousand. you but top of the line stuff in but seems very high...
Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

OK then... The price is $156,469 and highly negotiable.

James - Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take with your very well-done car. This place is great for information and comraderie, not so great if you are looking to sell a car of special interest to you.

Personally, I'd suggest you hold on to it for a bit, if you have no gun to your head financially, it would not seem to be an opportune time to sell a car such as this.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
OverBudget
Pro

No, I don't think ANYONE would pay $156k!

I'm guessing the car would get between $80k and $120k to the right buyer. I also know green is more of a negative than a positive.

I love older cars, had a TON of fun designing and building this one, loved the interaction and help from the forum, but with business, kids, golf, etc. I don't have time for the hobby and frankly, the build was much more fun that going to shows and cruise-ins.

If I can get the higher end of that range, I'll probably sell. If I can't, I'll probably hang onto it. I'd rather sell to a private seller though than give Barrett Jackson 20% off the car (buyer and seller commission).
Old 11-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

You seem aware of two big negatives....... custom cars get about the lowest return of any out there and the more permanent the customization the more loss from what was invested........... and secondly that people who have money to buy toys these days can find some very good deals furthering whittling down the amount of return for you.

If you do BJ's, IMO bring a buy back person with you....... or one of their friends will hammer you beyond recognition........personally I would stay away from them....... The expression that "if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas" really holds true with them

I would try feeling the market out through some of the high priced auto publication that has a European and Mideast market.........your car IMO just might catch the eye of some oil sheiks kid...... no telling what they might pay

For them you might just have to raise the price so that they can brag more

Good luck

Doug
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Thanks Doug. You have any name of European/Mid-East auto publications? If not, I'll start researching...
Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 AM
vettelawyer67
Racer

Originally Posted by Shurshot
You seem aware of two big negatives....... custom cars get about the lowest return of any out there and the more permanent the customization the more loss from what was invested........... and secondly that people who have money to buy toys these days can find some very good deals furthering whittling down the amount of return for you.

If you do BJ's, IMO bring a buy back person with you....... or one of their friends will hammer you beyond recognition........personally I would stay away from them....... The expression that "if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas" really holds true with them

I would try feeling the market out through some of the high priced auto publication that has a European and Mideast market.........your car IMO just might catch the eye of some oil sheiks kid...... no telling what they might pay

For them you might just have to raise the price so that they can brag more

Good luck

Doug
when you do get serious about selling it have some profesional photos taken to show it off.When you are selling first class display it as such.Good Luck with it
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

No ..... sorry I do not know of any outside of Dupont Registry

But I would try to find where the really big realtors of the area around the Med advertise their stuff........ also there are a lot of oil rich Russians these days so maybe some Caspian Basin real estate mags might work well for you.

I know besides the cash you poured out some of you into your car...... As long as it is in the shape that it was when you showed it you could make it all back with the right deal.

Doug
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Doug, you are awesome.

The more I think about this, the more this is the route to go. I've already found a ton of United Arab Emirates car broker types.

My dad sold his 59 Ford Retractable to Japan 20 some years ago. These foreign markets don't have cars like this and they still have money, so I'm going to pursue this route.

Thanks again,

James
Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Doug, you are awesome.

The more I think about this, the more this is the route to go. I've already found a ton of United Arab Emirates car broker types.

My dad sold his 59 Ford Retractable to Japan 20 some years ago. These foreign markets don't have cars like this and they still have money, so I'm going to pursue this route.

Thanks again,

James
Glad to be of some help...... I cannot count the amount of times someone here has helped me.

Hope it works out well for you and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next .

Doug
Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
63dreamer
Instructor

Doug, you are awesome.

Thanks again,

James
James,

I live in the UAE almost 8 months out of the year and have done so for the past 6 years. I have bought and sold a lot of high end cars here and even imported a few in that time frame. There are several car magazines that you could advertise your car in but based on my experience the buyers here are extremely spontaneous. The guys with the money see something they like and they want it now. I encourage you to try but I can't imagine someone here buying a custom car they can't walk around, touch and buy right now.

Best of luck,

Darin

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Custom Roadster Possibly for Sale

Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I remember watching your project here few years ago. Always loved your work.

I'm always helping people buy corvettes from US (I'm in Finland). Although things are slowing down here as well and dollar is getting stronger, people are still buying. Let me know if you would like me to see if there'd be any interest. I have great contacts in Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 PM
OverBudget
Pro

GroovyJay & 63Dreamer,

Thank you SO much for the feedback. I would love your help if possible. If you email me through the forum your email address, I can send you a summary of the car and pictures.

I spent about an hour this morning, emailing UAE and Russian car dealerships with a summary of the car asking them to forward it to the dealership owner and/or to anyone they might know would be interested. We'll see...

Again, I appreciate your help.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
John Meissinger
Instructor

Default Nice Car

For the most part I read the posts and dont get to involved, I have seen this car in person and can tell you its not your typical custom, I think I know who painted it, the last car they did for me in 1992 was perfect ( back then it cost $24,000.00) for paint and body work, his car must be seen, I would sell it at a good auction if it were mine, its a must see....good luck John

Quick Reply: 63 Custom Roadster Possibly for Sale