C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Drive them if you got them

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Drive them if you got them

Last Sunday, I was feeling a bit down and a friend passed me in his Corvette. I stopped him to see where he was going.

Up the River Road to Grafton.

So I dropped my car off and rode up with him to Alton and on to Grafton.

Beautiful day, great fun. We had a cheeseburger at Riverbend in Alton, met some friends of his in their '99 convertible, and rolled up along the Mississippi to see the colors. Got to the Loading Dock and waited until dark and headed back.

I can tell you this, NEVER drive a '56 Corvette to a gas station if you don't want attention.

The problem with cell phone pictures is that they aren't all that great, but they are handy.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

I have the same problem but enjoy it when I take my 55 Corvette out , people trying to think of what year or MAKE I'm driving. Your Corvette MOST people recognize it as a Corvette , mine not so many . Had this problem for 30 years now!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My red 61 gets that kind of attention on the road and at gas stations. Lots of cell phone pics driving down the highway. I love all generations, but nothing gets attention like a solid axle. Driving them is a blast
Old 11-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by capevettes
My red 61 gets that kind of attention on the road and at gas stations. Lots of cell phone pics driving down the highway. I love all generations, but nothing gets attention like a solid axle. Driving them is a blast
Same-same.

I have to add a "gawk-time factor" whenever I take my '61 to the auto parts store or up to get gas...

I occasionally take it up to an old time breakfast diner that has picture windows all along the front and by the time I get inside all the conversations from the middle-aged crowd had turned to old cars and "what I had back when"....that's always enjoyable and lifts my spirits.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 AM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told this story before but thought it fits this thread.

Stopped for fuel right behind a new C-6, as we were filling up, and talking about are cars, another customer came over and gave my car a once over asking questions about it, and upon leaving said nice ride. Not one word to the C-6 owner who had a great looking car.

Dennis
Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend who lives around the corner has a very nice 66 mustang coupe with a stroker motor........ when we go out cruising together in both cars and pull into a gas station it starts a chain reaction of admirers and other old muscle cars owners stopping in..... might take us a half hour just to get gas

Cruise ins are nice but "cruise outs" is when IMO it becomes really fun...... i think some of these car clubs should try more cruise around town events rather then sit in folding chairs all day waiting to see who won what.

Personally I prefer the cooler months for driving and now that the gas is getting somewhere near affordable we can have the best times of the year before starting winter time projects

That and I am so close to running again I can feel the vibrations.

Doug

Last edited by Shurshot; 11-05-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its been a long time since I've seen a C1 out on the road. Good to see someone somewhere is out excercising a C1.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Spent the day running errands with mine and got lots of thumbs up and nice looks. Even stopped to show it to the fellow I bought it from 30 years ago! He just moved back to the area and hadn't seen it since he sold it.

Unfortunately I blew out the O-ring in the aftermarket thermostat housing and lost most of my coolant. I was 30 miles from home but near the marina where I keep my boats so I used their tools and borrowed a truck to find a replacement O-ring. Struck out on that so put in a conventional gasket which led to discovery of why the O-ring blew out...the bolts were bottoming out just as the housing touched the manifold. Couldn't tell that with the O-ring! Added a couple of washers under the bolt heads to get back home.

Now to find the correct O-ring and shorten the bolts. Have to clean up the engine compartment too, especially the serpentine belt and its pulleys...got lots of squeaks now!

The fun of 40 year old cars! Of course it could be said it wasn't the car's age but the aftermaket parts on it, but that's often the case with these things.

Last edited by 65air_coupe; 11-05-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
ml1955
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the '55 out today and crossed paths with a '67 coupe with sidepipes.. We exchanged waves as we passed. Stopped by to say "Hi" to the wife and a guy posed his pitbulls in front of my car for a photo op, found that amusing.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
wallemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I have that gets even close to the same attention, when I am out and about, as the 1960 red/white is the DeLorean. That really causes a stir at gas stations with the doors in the open position.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM
65 Drivr
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Damn right - Drive them if you got them.

I got back from voting last night and the weather was nice. I took the 65 out with the top down and did about a 40 mile parkway run. Nothing like a parkway run with the top down and the heater going this time of the year here on the Island. I did leave the sunglasses home though, it was dark.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Jvmc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65 Drivr
I got back from voting last night and the weather was nice. I took the 65 out with the top down and did about a 40 mile parkway run. Nothing like a parkway run with the top down and the heater going this time of the year here on the Island. I did leave the sunglasses home though, it was dark.
Now that Obamanomics will be the order of the day, you will only get to drive your '65 one day a week, and those who can not afford one will be able to stop by your house and drive it the other 6 days of the week.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

One thing I didn't want to say, but you all knew where this was going, was there were a lot of Corvettes on the road, as the Great River Road is a favorite cruise for old cars, bikes, and everyone.

And so as we cruised along, we got about a 50% response from other Corvettes waving.

The white '98 convertible with us got more. I don't think some of those other Corvette drivers knew the '56 was a Corvette.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
ucc2ic65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got done reinstalling the instrument cluster on my 65 after having it restored. Last Sunday the weather in the Chicagoland area was great so I took it out to make sure everything was working okay. With the wife along we decided to stop at a local home store that just recently reopened from a fire they had about a year ago. When we went inside there were a couple of guys building displays in the store. By the time my wife and I left, the workers were outside checking out my car. Had a nice conversation about vettes.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

For the 42 years I've had my '64, people ALWAYS talk to me at gas stops. Even when the car has had primer spots!

Get notified of new replies

To Drive them if you got them

Quick Reply: Drive them if you got them