C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with R&R A drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 PM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

Default Help with R&R A drive shaft

I know that R&R a trans has been discussed several times but I did not notice dive shaft removal discussed at much length! To change out the 4 speed in a 64 am I going to have to remove the drive shaft? And the drive shaft removal is this is done at the rear u-joint, right? In order to get the drive shaft to turn to loosen all 4 nut on the rear u-joints do I place a jack under each trailing arm and jack them up to free the wheels so the drive shaft will turn? It's a tight fit at the rear u-joint! Thanks for all answers. I am trying to remove all surprises before starting this under taking.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 64Corvette
I know that R&R a trans has been discussed several times but I did not notice dive shaft removal discussed at much length! To change out the 4 speed in a 64 am I going to have to remove the drive shaft? And the drive shaft removal is this is done at the rear u-joint, right? In order to get the drive shaft to turn to loosen all 4 nut on the rear u-joints do I place a jack under each trailing arm and jack them up to free the wheels so the drive shaft will turn? It's a tight fit at the rear u-joint! Thanks for all answers. I am trying to remove all surprises before starting this under taking.
The drive shaft removal is pretty straight forward if you are skinny you don't even need to jack the rear up. You can do this at least two different ways.
1. Jack the car up and disconnect the parking brake. To disconnect the ebrake just pull on the lever under the car near the ds and the ball from the ebrake handle will be able to pop out of it's captive slot. Then rotate the ds around until you can get to two of the u-joint strap nuts. I believe that they are 1/2" nuts, if you have some of the ratchet wrenches it makes this a breeze. Put the car in gear so that the ds doesn't rotate while you break the nut loose. Then pop it out of gear and rotate the ds until you can get to the remaining nuts.

2. With my car being a side pipe car and no tire tube installed I can easily get to the diff u-joint. Then for the front at the tranny I jack it up just a little bit. I can have one in and out in about 30 minutes... Not bragging thats just how long it takes..

Dave
Old 12-01-2008, 08:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

After doing the rear as Dave noted, you need to remove the U-bolt nuts at the trans yoke, push the yoke all the way into the trans for clearance, and pull the prop shaft out from the front. Wrap tape around the U-joints first so you don't lose the caps and needles while you're removing the shaft.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

Thank you very much Hitch and JohnZ.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:25 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The easy way is to use a ratchet wrench. Place the wrench on the nut and rotate the wheel to apply pressure to turn the nut. Then just keep rocking the wheel back and forth to operate the ratchet. You do have to get the wheels off the ground. Easy on a lift.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Howy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the 4 speed out of my '63 saturday afternoon.The drive shaft is straight forward.Once you have both ends unbolted take the u-joints cups off.I couldn't get tape on them because it's tight in there.Not counting the time it took to raise the car on jack stands,it took 2 hours and ten minutes to get the 4 speed transmission out.

I am going to put it automatic.Is that what you are doing?Maybe we can swap shifter ideas.

Howy

Get notified of new replies

To Help with R&R A drive shaft

Quick Reply: Help with R&R A drive shaft