C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Shorted Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 08:46 AM
stngry63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shorted Alternator

My alternator shorted yesterday. I believe that it took the voltage regulator with it. I hope that this doesn't make the numbers guys cringe, but I'm using a Ford electronic voltage regulator. I have two questions. What is the purpose of the small cylinder on voltage reg. that looks like a capacitor? Is anybody running a single wire alternator with an internal regulator.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:00 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: Shorted Alternator (stngry63)

It's a capacitor to keep the radio from clicking as the regulator points open. The alternator should be reparable. The '63 shop manual has all the sinpple static resistance checks you can make to find the bad component. Chances are something is "open" not shorted.

Duke
Old 01-18-2002, 12:31 PM
stngry63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Shorted Alternator (SWCDuke)

SWCDuke,
Thanks for letting me know what the capacitor's purpose is. There are black scorch marks coming out of the back of the alternator. Since the new alternator is not charging, I'm going to replace the voltage regulator. If that doesn't fix it, it's a $120 trip to the auto electric shop. That's what it always seems to cost me. It might be time to replace the wiring harness.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:00 PM
aobrien
Tech Contributor

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a Power Master (www.powermastermotorsports.com) single wire hookup alternator - chromed, 100A, $150. It cost a little more than I wanted to spend but at least I am driving. It also weighs about half of what the old generator weighed (~25lbs vs ~50lbs) and it is much prettier. I did have to make a special bracket (took all weekend using a drill and hack saw on 1/8" steel)
Old 01-18-2002, 03:25 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

The 65 coupe that I bought came with a single wire, internal regulator, alternator. I got the following info from Lelon Windham of Delco Remy "You have a part# 1103161. This is a 10SI, type 100, neg. ground, 37 amp unit. It was obsoleted in 1979. The replacement for it today is, P# 19020501, which is the same, except 63 amps."

As far as I know its working fine. Car only has old grommets where the regulator, capacitor, etc. "used to be". So much for "original".

Get notified of new replies

To Shorted Alternator

Quick Reply: Shorted Alternator