C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
EDDIE04
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is shriner copo

colors or l88
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
Obsequious, Jack? Now there's a word that is seldom heard around the Bramlett family dinner table. Well... unless the topic happens to be Shriner and/or COPO Corvettes.

Yup, I had to go to my Microsoft Bookshelf to brush up on that definition!

I can see it now...

"...among the many benefits of your participation in the Corvette Forum is its Roster of Well-Educated and Worldly Members, whose presence alone will surely help Expand one's Horizons..."

Oops, I think I'm being a tad obsequious!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kbuhagiar

<<<Snip>>
Oops, I think I'm being a tad obsequious!
If not a tad obstreperous and somewhat truculent!

- Pat
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

and here's that once-a-base-shriner-car then used-as-a-platform-to-fake-an-L88 car, then caught red-handed, then passed off as who knows what at BJ, this shot taken in the staging area, just before the car went accross (I tried to discreetly speak the truth to the would be bidders milling around the car, but it seems some folks wanted to have a 67 that was once a shriner's car, now with an L88 engine installed for whatever reason:

Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
and here's that once-a-base-shriner-car then used-as-a-platform-to-fake-an-L88 car, then caught red-handed, then passed off as who knows what at BJ, this shot taken in the staging area, just before the car went accross (I tried to discreetly speak the truth to the would be bidders milling around the car, but it seems some folks wanted to have a 67 that was once a shriner's car, now with an L88 engine installed for whatever reason:

Wow, a shriner L-88 ! I bet that one's a real bitch on your clutch leg during a parade (but at least the F41 suspension comes in handy when the need to dodge the other Shriners that are driving the gas-powered bowling pins presents itself).
Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 AM
ZLX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Except it was not the Sox car, but the Ramchargers Parts store 70s Cuda. It too had some possible misleading information. It was claimed to be the "Original" Ramchargers car. By 1970 all the original Ramchargers were either back to their old jobs at Chryslers or Elton Eckstran to his Law office. The Michigan Judge who purchased the car from the Ramchargers auto parts store thought he was going to make a killing at BJ`s. I understand he did clear close to 40K and I think made up with BJ`s.
Not claimed to be THEoriginal Ramchargers car.. but AN
original Ramchargers car... Several of the original Ramchargers were
there at the sale.. on stage.... I doubt they would've be there if the car's lineage was suspect.

BJ screwed the pooch on the sale... I think everyone was waiting
for the Big Boys to start coming out with the really big bids.. this
is what I think caused a lul in the bidding..
The bidding stalled just a tad.. and BOOM, the gavel dropped quick..
everyone was stunned...

There was ZERO crowd working by BJ when the bidding slowed...
not a word from Craig, Steve, or Spanky... they spent more time
working some very plain.. non historic boring restomods than they
did the Ramchargers car... the Judge was right to protest.. he got
short gaveled.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
scura283
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The '65 Shrine cars were blue with white interiors, the '66's were yellow with black . They were all sold through my family's dealership in Wahoo NE. I was disappointed with the price on the '67, I feel it brought too much money. Fake L88, interior color change, ect. Was the price because the Shrine connection, the L88 or the supposed COPO?

Garwood Anderson
Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
vettelawyer67
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with others on this one.The description was worded vaguely.The description when it crossed the block was even more colored.But like any auction buyer beware
Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by scura283
The '65 Shrine cars were blue with white interiors, the '66's were yellow with black . They were all sold through my family's dealership in Wahoo NE. I was disappointed with the price on the '67, I feel it brought too much money. Fake L88, interior color change, ect. Was the price because the Shrine connection, the L88 or the supposed COPO?

Garwood Anderson
I was trying to figure that out too, since the bidders at BJ usually know the deal. I was left just having to conclude that at least two bidders were out there that thought they were getting a real piece of history as a Shriner's car (which this car would be if it hadn't been so completely bastardized) or a real piece of history as a COPO L88 of sorts (not true) or some kind of authentic L88 (also not true).

I just wonder, how much would a well done 67 L88 "tribute" car bring? Although corvette folks haven't really supported the tribute car thing, I wonder what a well-done 67 L88 tribute car would fetch - I think the time is right.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

this is a tribute car of sorts...a real 67 L-88 is worth 10 times what this car brought if the reports of this car selling for $160K are accurate.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:37 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess that is the most accurate way to view it - but it wasn't dressed out as a proper 67 BB with the L88 option either, so the buyer didn't get a very good tribute car. It did sound like the business when it was running though.

BTW, the full price paid for this car on Saturday was $176,000 (includes the 10% commission)
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Copterpilot
Cruising

I drove that car for probably 2,000 miles when it was new since it was my dads Shrine car. As we all know it was white with blue interior but it was a 350HP car not a 300 and it did have a factory radio so there was nothing COPO about that car. I thought it kinda funny that they were saying it was documented as a COPO Shrine car since I have all the real info there is and I didn't give it to the seller. About 1/2 of the cars every year did not have radios but did have the radio shielding. Later in 69 and 70 we got in small block cars with big block hoods I have the invoices for those cars. Anybody have questions about Shrine cars I have some records and know about all of them from the white 57s thru the 81s with invoices for 68 up and serial numbers and owner info for 65 up. GL Anderson.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Copterpilot
I drove that car for probably 2,000 miles when it was new since it was my dads Shrine car. As we all know it was white with blue interior but it was a 350HP car not a 300 and it did have a factory radio so there was nothing COPO about that car. I thought it kinda funny that they were saying it was documented as a COPO Shrine car since I have all the real info there is and I didn't give it to the seller. About 1/2 of the cars every year did not have radios but did have the radio shielding. Later in 69 and 70 we got in small block cars with big block hoods I have the invoices for those cars. Anybody have questions about Shrine cars I have some records and know about all of them from the white 57s thru the 81s with invoices for 68 up and serial numbers and owner info for 65 up. GL Anderson.
Its good to here from you again. did you ever bring the person that originally tried to sell or build that car to court? I know it was talked about.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Its good to here from you again. did you ever bring the person that originally tried to sell or build that car to court? I know it was talked about.
Agreed, I'd love to hear more as this was one of the best stories of uncovering a high dollar Corvette fraud.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Copterpilot
Cruising

No I didn't have any reason to do so since I was not buying the car. I suppose since he tried to bribe me to back up his fairy tale..... or if being a dumb *** was illegal maybe then I could have. At anyrate this should put an end to this mess unless the buyer wants to talk about his purchase. GL
Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Copterpilot
No I didn't have any reason to do so since I was not buying the car. I suppose since he tried to bribe me to back up his fairy tale..... or if being a dumb *** was illegal maybe then I could have. At anyrate this should put an end to this mess unless the buyer wants to talk about his purchase. GL
well at any rate it was your call, after all you did have all the original paper work showing what that car was. and its a sham that someone could be that simple to do something in search of the all mighty dollar. but if you would on above argument whether or not the shriner cars were COPO or FSO cars. were all of them ordered under the COPO processes.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 PM
d-tailed
Intermediate

yes, they were all COPO

Get notified of new replies

To Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...

Old 01-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Copterpilot
Cruising

Were they all COPO cars? Well maybe not in the true sense. There were many years we would have a meeting with Joe Pike and after dinner sitdown and give him the info as to color and interior plus which member wanted what engine and radio or no radio but all had the shielding. Then there were years where we sent the orders in the normal way with a note as to any special items like big block hoods on the small block cars. We would also order extra cars like the Shrine cars as sold orders and or stock but they would be picked up at the factory or delivered by truck. We would also order cars for regular Corvette customers to be picked up or delivered with the Shrine cars but not in the color or equipment ordered by the Shriners. I have paperwork on a 435hp Yellow car picked up by a customer from Texas at the same time the Riverside Gold 69s were picked up for the Shriners. He brought his hot GF along for the plant tour and work just stopped while she was waking thru the plant! We had some pretty good contacts with Chevrolet including Pete Estes so pretty much got whatever we wanted. They even called and wanted us to take 2 really expensive Camaros in 1969 seems they had all aluminum 427s in them and cost about twice what a normal Camaro cost. I tried to pre sell them but couldn't and had to call them back and decline. Seems pretty stupid now but I had to do it. GL
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

My non-radio car came with shielding. I think the FCC required it on all 'Vettes because the RF interference would go right through the 'glass fenders and make other drivers' radios buzz.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Copterpilot
Cruising

I don't think that is a fact. I have orders where we actually ordered shielding with no radio and they have a number for that option plus a price for the shielding on the invoice so if it was "standard" as you may think then it would not show up that way just as any standard part on the cars.

Quick Reply: Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...